Bleeder

Hoid the Former Drifter

On 8/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Right, but If the 3 magical systems on Scadrial were because of Ruin and Preservation (end- positive, negative, and neutral,) what is Trell's magic system, and how does it overlap?

The metallic arts can use god metals from other shards, especially hemalurgy. Trell doesn't have an actual magic system that we've seen, instead using Ruin's.

6 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

The metallic arts can use god metals from other shards, especially hemalurgy. Trell doesn't have an actual magic system that we've seen, instead using Ruin's.

So, sorta. It’s complex. The god metals would have to be consciously made by the shard, and probably through fairly complicated means. But overall, yeah.

2 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Plus possibly shard blade metal?

Spoiler

Questioner

I'm curious. Are any of those rare metals from Mistborn on any other world?

Brandon Sanderson

So, not those exact metals, unless they've been taken off-world. But there are other metals like them that you could find.

Questioner

So they could have Allomantic lore?

Brandon Sanderson

They theoretically could...

Let's just say it's not a coincidence that you find Investiture manifesting as metal on other places. Such as Shardblades, as well.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 22, 2017)

Alpharho

The metal of Shardblades. Cultivationspren versus honorspren, for example. Are they different metals?

Brandon Sanderson

No, but good question.

Alpharho

Are all orders the same alloy, essentially?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. There's a little asterisk on there, but not in the way you're asking... You could call those all the same alloy. Because the mixture to different spren is different, I think that you could argue that each one is its own alloy.

Alpharho

So, different proportions of tanavastium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it doesn't quite work that way with these magics, right? I'm going to say that's up to the individual cosmerologist who is in the world, the arcanist, defining it. You would be able to find enough differences to legitimately call them different alloys if you wanted to.

Alpharho

Would you say different ratios of the same two metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They are not going to have a third one in them, if that's what you're asking. But it doesn't quite work that way. Like, if you were going to take brass, you could measure the exact percentage. In this case, it is a thing; it's not like you could divide it up and split them apart, because they are a thing. And that thing would be called one thing.

Alpharho

But you won't say what that thing is called?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I won't say what that thing is called. But I think you and the 17th Sharders and folks that are dividing them would prefer to call them ten different things, and I think their nomenclature would be relevant.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018

(Stormlight spoilers)

Edited by Honorless

6 hours ago, Honorless said:
  Hide contents

Questioner

I'm curious. Are any of those rare metals from Mistborn on any other world?

Brandon Sanderson

So, not those exact metals, unless they've been taken off-world. But there are other metals like them that you could find.

Questioner

So they could have Allomantic lore?

Brandon Sanderson

They theoretically could...

Let's just say it's not a coincidence that you find Investiture manifesting as metal on other places. Such as Shardblades, as well.

Salt Lake City ComicCon 2017 (Sept. 22, 2017)

Alpharho

The metal of Shardblades. Cultivationspren versus honorspren, for example. Are they different metals?

Brandon Sanderson

No, but good question.

Alpharho

Are all orders the same alloy, essentially?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. There's a little asterisk on there, but not in the way you're asking... You could call those all the same alloy. Because the mixture to different spren is different, I think that you could argue that each one is its own alloy.

Alpharho

So, different proportions of tanavastium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it doesn't quite work that way with these magics, right? I'm going to say that's up to the individual cosmerologist who is in the world, the arcanist, defining it. You would be able to find enough differences to legitimately call them different alloys if you wanted to.

Alpharho

Would you say different ratios of the same two metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They are not going to have a third one in them, if that's what you're asking. But it doesn't quite work that way. Like, if you were going to take brass, you could measure the exact percentage. In this case, it is a thing; it's not like you could divide it up and split them apart, because they are a thing. And that thing would be called one thing.

Alpharho

But you won't say what that thing is called?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I won't say what that thing is called. But I think you and the 17th Sharders and folks that are dividing them would prefer to call them ten different things, and I think their nomenclature would be relevant.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018

(Stormlight spoilers)

I thought I read something like this but i wasn't sure. thanks!

On 8/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, StanLemon said:

That's the prevailing theory at least.  Brandon has said that Trell is related to a Shard we know and process of elimination has left Autonomy the most likely culprit. 

I mean that would make sense to me, Bleeder wanted to free everyone from Harmony's control which should relate to Autonomy?

• 1 month later...

The coppermind wiki says more than four varieties of blessings are possible. 

Spoiler

I think this is only true to the extent that Paalm had an unknown metal. 

I guess it depends on whether the other God metals are among the 16 allomantic metals or if they're imaginary metals like Atium and Lerasium.  

For future reference, you should combine things into one post rather than double-posting.

32 minutes ago, GeoMantrix said:

I'm not convinced Trell isn't Odium.  

Reveal hidden contents

The red eyes link the fused and the Trellagist "faceless immortals".  

An unknown metal could be the guards on shardblades.  Though I tend to think shardblade guards might be a cultivation thing rather than an Odium thing.  

Red in the Cosmere is a sign (though not invariably) of corrupted Investiture, it's not associated with any Shard in particular, as Brandon explicitly states here in response to someone making the same assumption you are.

25 minutes ago, GeoMantrix said:

The coppermind wiki says more than four varieties of blessings are possible. 

Reveal hidden contents

I think this is only true to the extent that Paalm had an unknown metal. 

I guess it depends on whether the other God metals are among the 16 allomantic metals or if they're imaginary metals like Atium and Lerasium.  

Other godmetals are, by definition, imaginary. As for additional Blessings, there's a pattern to the ones that we've seen which is that they're created from hemalurgic spikes that aren't stealing allomantic/feruchemical powers. With the hemalurgy table we have a couple of potential candidates for other metals that could be used in the same way: H-Chromium ('might steal destiny') and H-Duralumin ('steals Connection and Identity'), maaaaybe throw in H-Nicrosil ('steals Investiture') as an option too. Note that Rashek deliberately suppressed knowledge of these metals and two of them were so far as we can tell known only to him during the Final Empire, so it's not like anyone had a chance to experiment with them and see if they'd work as Blessings.

And of course once you add godmetal alloys to the mix, the sky's the limit on potential Blessings since we haven't a clue what those alloys could do. However, we know that the alloys work in allomancy with various mental/temporal effects and Khriss talks about new feruchemical powers that could be discovered through these alloys, but nobody has been able to test them. There's no reason to think that godmetal alloys wouldn't work hemalurgically as well.

Edited by Weltall

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2020 at 9:59 PM, Weltall said:

And of course once you add godmetal alloys to the mix, the sky's the limit on potential Blessings since we haven't a clue what those alloys could do. However, we know that the alloys work in allomancy with various mental/temporal effects and Khriss talks about new feruchemical powers that could be discovered through these alloys, but nobody has been able to test them. There's no reason to think that godmetal alloys wouldn't work hemalurgically as well.

Only atium alloys have mental/temporal effects. Lerasium alloys, for example, have physical/enhancement effects.

1 minute ago, The Titan God said:

Only atium alloys have mental/temporal effects. Lerasium alloys, for example, have physical/enhancement effects.

Unless there's some new WoB I missed, lerasium alloys make the user a misting of the alloyed metal with no indication of other effects.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Unless there's some new WoB I missed, lerasium alloys make the user a misting of the alloyed metal with no indication of other effects.

Not a WoB, but rather the blurb on Lerasium in the official Allomancy chart, the same chart that has the blurb about Atium Alloys doing mental/temporal effects.

5 hours ago, Weltall said:

Yes. But the official allomantic table stated that lerasium, when in alloy form, grants various physical and enhancement effects, which becoming a misting is.

6 hours ago, Weltall said:

36 minutes ago, The Titan God said:

Yes. But the official allomantic table stated that lerasium, when in alloy form, grants various physical and enhancement effects, which becoming a misting is.

By Allomantic Table: In Alloy form, it produces various expanded physical and enhancement effects, including the creation of Mistings.