some thoughts

Wispsy

Szeth was the one who wrote the words found near him - the dying request is apparently sacred to the Shin, and since he couldn't hang around to pass on Gavilar's final words as requested, he wrote them using Gavilar's finger and Gavilar's blood.

The assumption that Gavilar himself wrote them was made by those who viewed the body later - they all assumed it was just another facet of his increasingly un-Alethi worldview (and therefore Dalinar talks about how it is vaguely disturbing that Gavilar could write - but as far as we know, Gavilar was illiterate at the time of his death)

Oh, right. I don't recall him thinking about who found the body first but I imagine it would have been the guards who shepherded Sadeas from the room when he was acting as the distraction. Likely once they saw their distraction had failed, they would have returned to see what had happened, and found Gavilar dead.

Edited by Unworldly

Well I'm quite sure dalinar says to adolin that he gave the first shards he won off the parshendi to elhokar as the king needed them but cant find it ATM will look later but they are described looking differently anyway

Prologue -

"an enormous Shardblade six feet long with a design along the blade like burning flame"

Compared to

Chapter 13 -

"[sunraiser] was long and thin with a large crossguard and was etched up the sides with the ten fundamental glyphs."

edit == got it

chapter 18 -

"Dalinar had won a Parshendi Shardblade and Plate during his first year here. He'd given both to Elhokar to award to a warrior he felt would be the most useful to Alethkar and the war effort."

Edited by Wispsy

chapter 18 -

"Dalinar had won a Parshendi Shardblade and Plate during his first year here. He'd given both to Elhokar to award to a warrior he felt would be the most useful to Alethkar and the war effort."

IE Dalinar gave the shards to Elhokar, not for Elhokar to use, but for Elhokar to then award them to an honoured warrior.

I wonder if someone can even have two Shardblades bonded to them at the same time... I recall reading that the method by which one summons a Shardblade is made known and becomes instinctive to that person the first time they pick up the Shardblade (seems to be indicated via the flashing of the gemstone in the pommel, at least in the one case we've seen of something grabbing a Shardblade for the first time), but the method seems to be identical for all 'blades - at least, even non-Shardbearers recognise when someone is summoning their 'blade; their posture seems to be a give-away, and all of them we've seen in viewpoints so far have the 10-heartbeat delay mechanism.

So if you have *two* 'blades, how do you choose which one you want to summon? Or do they both turn up - one in each hand?

I can imagine some funny scenarios where someone has more than two 'blades, and when they summon a Shardblade they end up with Shardblades falling everywhere :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic