Book Colors and the 10 Orders

PiedPiper

For those who don't know, each hardcover book so far has been colored in keeping with the Order that its flashback character belongs to. You need to know that to understand my question:

Brandon has said in the past that one of the back five is going to be Ash. Problem is, we already have a Lightweaver book. If Ash and Shallan each have a book, there will be two red books in the series, and based on what each of the other books is planned to be (Venli/Eshonai for Willshapers, Szeth for Skybreakers, Lift for Edgedancers, Renarin for Truthwatchers, Taln for Stonewards, Jasnah for Elsecallers), we will end up having no Dustbringer book, which not only means no orange-ish book, it also means no Dustbringer flashbacks.

I'm an Elsecaller. I know we're getting Jasnah. But all the Dustbringers will basically be relegated to being a secondary order if there's no book for them! (NOT saying I don't think the Dustbringers are important, just that not having a book is a BIG DEAL that needs to be solved.)

Am I just over thinking this, and the book colors weren't that important to begin with? Or is this a problem? Because I feel like it's a problem.

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

Ash -- the Herald for the Lightweavers? Will become a Dustbringer? 

Maybe seeking self-mastery will make sense for Ash, but I dunno... sounds a little far-fetched to me.

Besides, wouldn't that mean major spoilers on the cover of her book?

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

Cemci

Have we-- I think you mentioned in a previous signing that we'd already met one member of every Order of the Knights Radiant.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I think you have.

Cemci

My question is, have we met two Edgedancers? And is one of the Dustbringers a viewpoint character?

Brandon Sanderson

One of the Dustbringers is eventually a point-of-view character.

Cemci

Haven't been yet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, not yet, I don't think. But it depends if you count the Heralds as members of their order.

Cemci

I don't.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, see I would, because they're kind of heads of their Order. If you don't count them you have not met some from every Order.

Cemci

Have we met someone from the Dustbringers?

Brandon Sanderson

Well-- Dustbringers are really complicated. Really complicated. So that's the weird one. Okay? So let's shelve that one. You'll see why it's really weird later on.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Ash becoming a Dustbringer is a fairly popular theory, there's not a lot of strong evidence for it other than maybe this WOB, and the fact that the book structure would be really weird if it doesn't happen.

Edited by psc92

5 minutes ago, psc92 said:

Ash becoming a Dustbringer is a fairly popular theory, there's not a lot of strong evidence for it other than maybe this WOB, and the fact that the book structure would be really weird if it doesn't happen.

Thanks for the WoB. Still not sure I buy it, but at least I know we'll have a Dustbringer somehow.

The Stormlight series has a very odd structure. Each novel is outlined as a trilogy plus a short story collection (the interludes) and is the length of four regular books. This lets me play with narrative in some interesting ways—but it also makes each volume a beast to write. The other superstructure to the series is the spotlight on the ten orders of Radiants, with each book highlighting one of them while also having a flashback sequences for a character tied to one of those orders. If that weren’t complicated enough, the series is organized in two major five-book arcs.

I've been looking for this quote for a while, I knew I read it some time ago but forgot where it was. It's from State of the Sanderson 2018.

Brandon confirms that each order will have its own book by the end of the series. The most likely way for this to happen is if Ash bonds an Ashspren (It's like poetry... it rhymes). Also we know that heralds can become Radiants since Nale has joined the Skybreakers.

Edited by psc92

26 minutes ago, psc92 said:

book by the end of the series. The most likely way for this to happen is if Ash bonds an Ashspren (It's like poetry... it rhymes). 

LOL!

Good question @PiedPeterPiper. I knew each order gets a book, but I didn't think out that Ash would be doubling up. 

I agree she'll have to join a different order. Dustbringer works, she likes to break stuff now. 

54 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I agree she'll have to join a different order. Dustbringer works, she likes to break stuff now. 

She does literally deface/destroy all depictions of herself (or at least the artistic ones, which makes her sort of an anti-lightweaver which is kinda cool).

I'm definitely not biased by being a Lightweaver myself nope.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

She does literally deface/destroy all depictions of herself (or at least the artistic ones, which makes her sort of an anti-lightweaver which is kinda cool).

I think learning to control her new destructive nature and her guilt at abandoning taln is going to be her path to the self control of a dust bringer

Hello I'm actually glad I came across this post because I've been having a question and I have not been able to find anything on Google related to it. I found a hardcover copy of the way of kings at a local used bookstore and since at the time I only had paperback I decided to pick it up. The book is about an inch shorter than my hard cover copies of WoR and OB, and the hardcover itself is actually black. The book also has no edition marking or printing number sequence. I'm hoping that somebody will be able to tell me what revision it is or just some more information about it I will attach pictures for detail. I wasn't sure if it deserved a dedicated thread or not.

IMG_20200715_214354.jpg

IMG_20200715_214407.jpg

IMG_20200715_214426.jpg

IMG_20200715_214520.jpg

IMG_20200715_214527.jpg