Are F-gold and Forgery related?

Oltux72

So gold is supposed to show you an alternate version of yourself. For that to happen the deviation should be plausible. Forgery manifests such an alternate version. So would an Augur be the ideal Forger? Augur commonly do not control which version of themselves they see. Could this be just a result of people not practising with gold due to cost and lack of applicability?

FYI, that's A-gold, not F-gold. I was really confused for a minute when I read the title and then your theory :D Allomantic gold, when burned, shows an alternate version of yourself. Feruchemical gold stores healing.

I believe there's a WoB that it would help.

Oversleep

How useful would gold Allomancy be for making Essence Marks?

Brandon Sanderson

Useful.

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

Does someone burning gold have any control over the specific variant of themselves that they see? Maybe you need to burn gold enough to develop that ability, and it's an unsettling enough experience that few people do, as it appears the default version is the one that is most opposite (such that the two versions always seem to despise, fear, or hate the other one)?

Similar principles:

Questioner

In The Emperor’s Soul, Forgery allows you to Forge your soul to create a different past. My question is, would on Scadrial burning gold in a controlled way allow you to do something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Wow, you guys are good. So, they are similar but different. I would say that no, gold is not gonna do this exact thing. They're working from the same fundamental roots, but gold is a lot more bounded in what it can accomplish.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

This WoB proves that it's feasible:

Dirigible (paraphrased)

If Shai had a gold shadow, and she used one of her Essence Stamps, would her gold shadow change to reflect her new self?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, because she is changing her soul so the gold shadow changes.

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

Using your gold shadow to Forge a Soulstamp would produce quite the Essence Mark, I think. How bounded Allomantic gold is in itself quite useful as it shows a possible version of you having made a different choice, which gives the Forger a more concrete target, I imagine.

And yeah, with practice, an Auger should become better at using their metal. We've already got confirmation of how much more a powerful & skilled Seeker could do, including interaction with other Investiture systems.

Edited by R J
grammar

On 6/23/2020 at 5:16 AM, robardin said:

Does someone burning gold have any control over the specific variant of themselves that they see?

IIRC, Brandon had a comment in the Mistborn Adventure Game's manual about the potential of roleplaying with A-Gold but I don't recall right now and it would be of only semi-relevancy due to the non-canon nature of the game. I know the game rules do allow for an Augur to attempt to see a particular version of themselves but I'd have to pull out my copy to see if Brandon confirmed that's something you could do.

The one official WoB I could find (albeit a paraphrase) says that what you see with A-Gold changes depending on your current situation, which doesn't exactly resolve the matter one way or the other.