KoW = ???

Ripheus23

• 7 months later...

King of Wrath

Lets face it. Todium is going to win and Dalinar is going to become King of the Fused. Odium is Wrath. Dalinar is King. King of Wrath. Many books will be written about the horrors he wrought during the invasion of Scadrial, but none will be as significant as King of Wrath. It will be even more appropriate if Todium decides to take Cultivation for himself rather than shattering it. He would become the composite Shard Genocide. Very relevant to previously mentioned horrors.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:31 PM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

King of Wrath

Lets face it. Todium is going to win and Dalinar is going to become King of the Fused. Odium is Wrath. Dalinar is King. King of Wrath. Many books will be written about the horrors he wrought during the invasion of Scadrial, but none will be as significant as King of Wrath. It will be even more appropriate if Todium decides to take Cultivation for himself rather than shattering it. He would become the composite Shard Genocide. Very relevant to previously mentioned horrors.

I don't really think Odium + Cultivation would go that way.

I think it would either want to foster the growth of conflict and cause it to spill over into other conflicts, or would want to use continuous conflict as a tool to shape people's and societies' growth. In either case, that won't work if the other side is all killed off.

Dominion + Odium or Dominion + Ruin would be more genocidal I think.

Edited by cometaryorbit

On 9/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, cometaryorbit said:

I don't really think Odium + Cultivation would go that way.

I think it would either want to foster the growth of conflict and cause it to spill over into other conflicts, or would want to use continuous conflict as a tool to shape people's and societies' growth. In either case, that won't work if the other side is all killed off.

Dominion + Odium or Dominion + Ruin would be more genocidal I think.

That's one way of looking at it. I stand by Hate + Selective Pruning as being Genocide though. Holocaust might be a good name too.

edit: I think Dominion + Odium would be Tyranny. Dominion + Ruin might be Consumption? Oof, Dominion + Ruin = Capitalism lol.

edit edit: Consumerism might be more accurate..

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

16 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

That's one way of looking at it. I stand by Hate + Selective Pruning as being Genocide though. Holocaust might be a good name too.

edit: I think Dominion + Odium would be Tyranny. Dominion + Ruin might be Consumption? Oof, Dominion + Ruin = Capitalism lol.

I don't think Cultivation is primarily selective pruning though. That entirely excludes the growth aspect, which is pretty core to what Cultivation is - I'd say the Intent is fundamentally "controlled/directed/shaped growth".

Pruning is a tool Cultivation uses, but not the intent itself.

And Odium is as much fury as hate, and has strong associations of conflict for its own sake ("the power likes disagreement" even when the Vessel just wants to be obeyed).

That's why I think you'd get something more like "growth/fostering of conflict" or "transformation (of people/societies) through anger/hate/conflict" with that combination.

Though the Intent of the one combining them probably matters too - I could see the conflict aspect of Odium wiping out the control aspect of Cultivation and producing something like "uncontrolled malignant growth".

But I think any combination involving Cultivation needs a growth aspect.

--

I think Dominion as an Intent is already very close to Tyranny - rule by force vs Devotion's loving service. Odium + Dominion needs a more 'aggressive' / conflict aspect imo. It's not just going to rule over people, it's going to actively go out and find/make up enemies. Dominion is good with people voluntarily joining its empire, Dominion + Odium would want bloody conquest. That's why I suggested that one.

Ruin is fundamentally entropy so combined with Dominion you'd get, possibly, rule of entropy? Extinction maybe?

Though if the Shards combined a different way you might get entropy of rulership, a Shard of Anarchy perhaps. That actually strikes me as a better Ruin + Dominion combo now that I think of it.

Again, any Ruin combo needs an entropy aspect IMO.

Edited by cometaryorbit

Back to the title ideas, I've said this in other areas, but can't "H" replace any of the letters? HOW (like the once-title Highprince of War), KHW, KOH, HKOW, etc. If using this Vorin loophole allows Brandon to keep the symmetry (as opposed to going with a title that doesn't follow the pattern), I hope he uses it. It'd be really cool.

• 2 weeks later...