Blackmail Theory: Hoid's Holiday

ConfusedCow

Still trying to get Brandon to send out book 4 early.  I loved the response to my previous post Blackmail Theory: Lift's Gifts.  Brandon send me book 4 or I'll just keep reading your books and talking about how much I like them.  ... Do it.

Blackmail Theory #2: Hoid's Holiday

"Tell me what you know, Wit. (Jasnah) I once spent the better part of a year inside of a large stomach, being digested." (WOR Epilogue, 1094). Also there was a good find of a reference to Hoid in Edgedancer from Skaa, that has him winking at Lift and then jumping into a Marabethian Greatshell's mouth.  So what was Hoid doing on holiday in a greatshell's stomach?  Why did he chill out there for the better part of a year? Has he been eaten by more than one nightmarish crab creature? 

Hoid has the skills to hide without being digested, nor is he simply crazy no matter how he may sometimes act.  I suggest that he is doing what he often does, searching for rare and powerful magical artifacts.  In this case perfect gemstones.  The greatshells must feed on all the things littering the floor of the reshi sea, lesser greatshells, the rotting carcases of the tai na, each other.  The stomach of each must be littered with thousands of undigestable gemhearts, grisely trophies of past meals.  Why bother? Hoid doesn't want wealth and he can pickpocket Shallan whenever he feels like it.  He wants a perfect gemstone, so he can he capture an unmade (Sja-Anat?) and add to his ever growing collection of magical artifacts.  Hoid gave Jasnah a valuable piece of information, while making it look like he was giving Jasnah a bit of useless nonsense, knowing that Jasnah would dismiss it because he's a clever boy.  Brandon gave us a valuable piece of information, while making it look like he was giving us a bit of useless nonsense, knowing that we would dismiss it because he's a sadist of questionable parentage.

Edited by ConfusedCow

41 minutes ago, ConfusedCow said:

Why did he chill out there for the better part of a year? Has he been eaten by more than one nightmarish crab creature? 

I personally think he was trying to figure out how the gemheart forms with an eye toward duplicating it inside his own body or at least understanding the different types of bonding that happen on Roshar.

54 minutes ago, ConfusedCow said:

"Tell me what you know, Wit. (Jasnah) I once spent the better part of a year inside of a large stomach, being digested." (WOR Epilogue, 1094). Also there was a good find of a reference to Hoid in Edgedancer from Skaa, that has him winking at Lift and then jumping into a Marabethian Greatshell's mouth.  So what was Hoid doing on holiday in a greatshell's stomach?  Why did he chill out there for the better part of a year? Has he been eaten by more than one nightmarish crab creature?

Camouflage. You cannot find him with a detector for Investiture because the greatshell neutralizing its own mass will mask his signal.

22 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Camouflage. You cannot find him with a detector for Investiture because the greatshell neutralizing its own mass will mask his signal.

The "sound" would almost certainly be different(like different pulses).  Also Hoid can use a-copper.

Too me it sounds Like a dragon. Frost's letter to Hoid has always seemed quite hostile, so maybe something happened there? Or maybe with a different dragon. Considering how much we know about them it could be possible that being swallowed by one is non-fatal. 

Edited by Hentient

1 hour ago, Hentient said:

Too me it sounds Like a dragon (Large stomach). Frost's letter to Hoid has always seemed quite hostile, so maybe something happened there? Or maybe with a different dragon. Considering how much we know about them it could be possible that being swallowed by one is non-fatal. 

It definitely is not fatal, Nightblood is the kind of thing that might, be able to harm Hoid. 

6 hours ago, Karger said:

The "sound" would almost certainly be different(like different pulses).  Also Hoid can use a-copper.

True. However

• He does not need to worry about life sense inside a greatshell
  • He know has a Cryptic to shield
  • This may tell us whether one can soulcast or talk to a Spren telepathically while using copper
  • the shell may just be much louder

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

It definitely is not fatal, Nightblood is the kind of thing that might, be able to harm Hoid. 

I would think the insides of a giant magical fire breathing beast would stand a good chance at being fatal, even for Hoid. That or they give him the ability to psychically speak with dragons via color and sensation(or something more cosmerish). After all, he is from Yolen, and that's what happened in The Pit Dragon Trilogy Jane Yolen wrote 

Edited by Aminar

10 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

He does not need to worry about life sense inside a greatshell

CealdishOrbLender

Can a Smoker block an Awakener's lifesense?

Brandon Sanderson

That will work, yes.

Shadows of Self Lansing signing (Oct. 13, 2015)

He know has a Cryptic to shield

This may tell us whether one can soulcast or talk to a Spren telepathically while using copper

He did not then.

11 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

the shell may just be much louder

He is lerasium level and probably a savant as well.

Just now, Karger said:

He did not then.

All true, yes it looks less likely.

Just now, Karger said:

He is lerasium level and probably a savant as well.

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

Why would a stronger allomancer be louder for the same effect? Should they not use Investiture more efficiently and hence less of it?

12 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

A savant mistborn? What would that even look like? He doesn't have the signs of a Tin savant or a Pewter savant.

He's not a Savant. There's no reason for him to be. He's not going to run around burning metals constantly. That's a lot of baggage to carry around and Hoid seems to be on the move constantly. Think about how much pewter was needed for a Pewter Drag. 

2 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

A savant mistborn? What would that even look like? He doesn't have the signs of a Tin savant or a Pewter savant.

1 hour ago, Aminar said:

He's not a Savant. There's no reason for him to be. He's not going to run around burning metals constantly. That's a lot of baggage to carry around and Hoid seems to be on the move constantly. Think about how much pewter was needed for a Pewter Drag. 

My point was that he has probably expanded his use of all the metals to the point where he can easily access all of them at a higher level of power.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

My point was that he has probably expanded his use of all the metals to the point where he can easily access all of them at a higher level of power.

Practiced isn't Savantism. Savantism is a very specific condition. And it's pretty much an addiction mechanism. He may be practiced, but even then, I suspect he's pretty busy with his being wherever he's needed thing. 

30 minutes ago, Aminar said:

Savantism is a very specific condition. And it's pretty much an addiction mechanism. He may be practiced, but even then, I suspect he's pretty busy with his being wherever he's needed thing. 

I am using the older definition.  The new one is technically not canonical yet.

They are called Allomantic savants. Men or women who flare their metals so long, and so hard, that the constant influx of Allomantic power transforms their very physiology.

In most cases, with most metals, the effects of this are very slight. Bronze burners, for instance, often become bronze savants without knowing it. Their range is expanded from burning the metal so long. Becoming a pewter savant is dangerous, as it requires pushing the body so hard in a state where one cannot feel exhaustion or pain. Most accidentally kill themselves before the process is complete, and in my opinion, the benefit isn't worth the effort.

Tin savants, however . . . now, they are something special. Endowed with senses beyond what any normal Allomancer would need—or even want—they become slaves to what they touch, hear, see, smell, and taste. Yet, the abnormal power of these senses gives them a distinct, and interesting, advantage.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I am using the older definition.  The new one is technically not canonical yet.

If you use a definition nobody else is using you're being intentionally confusing. WoB isn't technically Canon either because he can change it if he wants. You're not helping your argument by saying, "Well the definition everybody understands isn't Canon." You're just making your argument badly. 

10 minutes ago, Aminar said:

intentionally confusing

Unintentionally in this case.

10 minutes ago, Aminar said:

WoB isn't technically Canon either because he can change it if he wants

This is from WoA epigraphs.  It is currently canonical.

11 minutes ago, Aminar said:

You're just making your argument badly. 

My argument is that Hoid is super strong and skilled.  I don't really need to make it well.

15 hours ago, Aminar said:

I would think the insides of a giant magical fire breathing beast would stand a good chance at being fatal, even for Hoid. That or they give him the ability to psychically speak with dragons via color and sensation(or something more cosmerish). After all, he is from Yolen, and that's what happened in The Pit Dragon Trilogy Jane Yolen wrote 

I seriously doubt that dragon fire poses any danger to vessels.

16 hours ago, Aminar said:

After all, he is from Yolen, and that's what happened in The Pit Dragon Trilogy Jane Yolen wrote 

Cosmere spoilers.

Spoiler

Dragons can shapeshift and talk in the cosmere

17 hours ago, Aminar said:

Okay yes, but he was literately decapitated once, and he even tells Jasnah that he isn't afraid of sharblades... And besides, "Giant magical fire breathing beast" may not even apply to cosmere dragons. Thats how we see them in other books, But with Brandon Sanderson you never know. My point is that Its very possible for him to survive a trip through a dragon. But I think Karger was right when they said Hoid was trying to figure out how to duplicate Gemhearts.