Made the Leap

Hey Everyone,

I discovered Sanderson with Mistborn while I was in high school and was excited when they announced him to finish WoT. 

In Army basic training, when one of the other private snuck Warbreaker back from a doctor’s office library to the barracks, I read it while hiding it from the Drill Sergeants. 

It wasn’t until The Way of Kings and the Stormlight Archive that I really fell in love with Sanderson and began to realize the greater cosmere story being told. 

Since then I’ve been listening to Shardcast for a few years and finally decided to take the leap and jump into the discussion board. Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Welcome! What, in your opinion, is the best cosmere power for ruining a surprise party? You can choose whether your friends are attempting to surprise you on your birthday, or if you are a member of the friend group attempting to sabotage the event. 

2 hours ago, Red Windrunner said:

In Army basic training, when one of the other private snuck Warbreaker back from a doctor’s office library to the barracks, I read it while hiding it from the Drill Sergeants. 

That’s a level up from sneaking books in school. :D Welcome to the forums! In your opinion, are the war/fighting scenes in Sanderson’s books accurate to life (minus the magic)? 

11 hours ago, R J said:

Your username matches up :lol:

Welcome to the Shard!

What were the first Cosmere connections that you made? 

Honestly, it was just Hoid, and the epigraphs began piecing things together. I didn’t realize how well developed it was until I started listening to Shardcast

12 hours ago, Archer said:

Welcome! What, in your opinion, is the best cosmere power for ruining a surprise party? You can choose whether your friends are attempting to surprise you on your birthday, or if you are a member of the friend group attempting to sabotage the event. 

I mean if you’re going to be surprised, then burning Tin would undoubtedly give them away. 

9 hours ago, AonEne said:

That’s a level up from sneaking books in school. :D Welcome to the forums! In your opinion, are the war/fighting scenes in Sanderson’s books accurate to life (minus the magic)? 

I find Sanderson tends to write kinetically which is why I enjoy his writing. So it’s always moving, but his use of the weapon stances tend to invoke an image. But I did relate to bridge runs. When I first read WoK, it was a few months after basic and one of our training was a litter carry with a stretcher weighted down with full water cans and had to run it a half mile out and a half mile back. Then we had to hit the range and do target practice despite the fatigue.

So I immediately related to the bridgemen and Kaladin’s bleak outlook.

I never had the opportunity to deploy so I can’t say exactly how close the imagery is to real world conflict