Over the Garden Wall, anyone?

Yes! It's one of my favorite animated shows ever, so special, distinct and imaginative. It fits better with the Halloween season, but there's no bad time for it, and in fact, it's barely 2 hours long in total, so there's really no excuse! :D Also, the 9 minute pilot short film Tome of the Unknown is on YouTube. I think it fits between episode 3 and 4 chronologically, but works perfectly well as an introduction either way.

The whole thing's on Netflix in Germany, don't know about other places.

• 5 months later...

Ok, I’m bringing this thread out of the Unknown! 

Just finished the show last night, and dang... I was blown away. Everything about it was so amazing and weird and heartfelt and THE MUSIC. It’s reminded me of Gravity Falls, but more serious and dark, while at the same time more funny with clever jokes folded into the dialogue. I loved the beautiful animation which whisks you away to a beautiful fall world where the natural landscape is excellently rendered. And the characters! Watching Wirt change and become a confident, courageous person was great. Seeing Greg overcome so many obstacles with optimism and naivety is splendid. Even seeing Beatrice and the Woodsman overcome their inner demons (or in one case, Beasts) was excellently done, it made me care about what happened to all of the characters. Seriouslu, this might be my new favorite show.

Man I didn’t know this existed, I love this show!! Everything about it. And I love that I can binge the whole thing In a few hours. It’s just all great. My favorite thing is that:

Spoiler

We don’t find out that they’re in Halloween costumes till the end, so the whole time you’re thinking, why is this kid wearing a teapot? And then bam, you know.

Spoiler

At least that’s how I remember it. I should watch it again it’s been a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just rewatched the whole thing in one go, what a ride. Reminded me that it's just one of my favorite things ever. The characters, the general density of ideas (both cute and suitably creepy), the music, and it all fits so well - I can't praise it enough. And it accomplishes all that in just 2 hours.

Maybe when I rewatch it the next time, I'll watch the episode 9 first to have it all chronologically. That might be interesting. That episode is probably my favorite. I love how it puts everything in perspective. Not sure if I'll do that though, since I just love the effect it has when it comes and gives you all that stuff that was hinted at over time.

At this point, it's safe to say that it's a Halloween staple for me. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Tis indeed that time of year again. I thoroughly enjoy this show, with it's quirkily classic animation style and whimsically haunting soundtrack, it stands as a testament to short form animation, and the incredible things that can be done in a runtime of only a couple hours.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, Merlin said:

Guys, I need to know I'm not the only person on this whole frickin' website that watches Over the Garden Wall. Please. And if you haven't watched it... well, I'm pretty sure you have lots of time on your hands.

YES i have seen it and it is 100% my comfort show :))

• 1 year later...