Study of Arcane Interactions: Allomancy and Surgebindung

Oltux72

Suppose you were a Mistborn and became a Surgebinder, specifically a Lightweaver, what tests of interactions between your powers would you do?

• a pewter run while on Stormlight
  • do soulcast metals power my allomancy
  • do I instantly heal if burning duraluminium while on Stormlight
  • can I communicate with my spren while in a speed bubble
  • can I use steel/iron on my shard blade
  • what happens if I use soulcasting on a metal object I am using iron/steel on?
  • can I hear my spren with bronze
  • can I hear my illusions with bronze
  • can my spren use allomancy
  • does my spren develop an electrum shadow
  • does my spren develop a gold doppelgänger
  • can I use emotional allomancy on my spren
  • does a coppercloud interfere with lightweavings, soulcasting or summoning my shard blade
  • can I destroy a lightweaving with chromium
  • do I wipe out my Stormlight with aluminium
  • what happens to existing illusions if I use aluminium

Anything else? And what would other orders do?

For #2, you could burn soulcast metals. It'd be trivial for pure metals, but getting the ratios right for alloys would be harder.

Questioner

If I were to impulsively Soulcast pewter, the way Shallan does with the blood in The Way of Kings, would it come out that an Allomancer be able to use it?

Brandon Sanderson

You could create Allomantically viable metals, yes.

Questioner

But is it automatic?

Brandon Sanderson

I would say that the pure metals are, but the alloys are not.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

For #5, it'd be really difficult to push on a shardblade.

Questioner

Could you use steel or iron to Push or Pull off Shardblades or Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson

Anything that's Invested resists, the more Invested it is the more it resists.

Questioner

Okay, so you could technically--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

--if it was not charged?

Brandon Sanderson

Well-- Certain objects just have more Investiture and are more purely of the Investiture. A Shardblade's going to be really hard, but it's possible, it's just going to be really, really hard. Even more hard than an absolutely full Feruchemical metalmind because the Shardblade is being created directly out of the Investiture, it's basically all Investiture, it's not a metal that is Invested. It's going to be real hard.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

4 minutes ago, Artemos said:

For #2, you could burn soulcast metals. It'd be trivial for pure metals, but getting the ratios right for alloys would be harder.

OK, but that is not really exactly the topic. You as a mistborn would not have this information. I am asking people to contribute questions a clever Mistborn should and would ask, not answers we already have.

4 minutes ago, Artemos said:

For #5, it'd be really difficult to push on a shardblade.

Even your own? Your own Shard Plate is transparent to your Surges after all.

for the being able to hear your illusions id take a look at the screamer void spren they can sense when a lashing is used but not when a light weaving is made pattern even says that a light weaving is quieter than a lashing implying a screamers powers is similer to a bronze misting but i bet you could hear  it but it woud just be more subtle so if im a mistborn and assuming id run into screamers id think thats a good indication of capabilitys of light weavings

Edited by The Cardinal of Death

4 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

OK, but that is not really exactly the topic. You as a mistborn would not have this information. I am asking people to contribute questions a clever Mistborn should and would ask, not answers we already have.

Even your own? Your own Shard Plate is transparent to your Surges after all.

for the shard blade it resists being affected by other forms of imvestiture maybe it reacts less to your own but when you steel psuh that isnt your power its preservations/harmonys so yeah its definatly going to resist like trying to push breaths into shardplate it isnt going  work unless your able to push threw the interference 

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Anything else?

Trying to figure Hoid I see.

• Use the CR access you get through transformation and burn bronze.
  • Also burn copper.
  • See if your spren can push/pull on both things and emotions.
  • See if your spren can gain any enhancement from tin.
  • Work on some soulcasting combo moves.  Making a coin and then pushing at it on the same instant.  Soulcasting metal of all of the alloys inside your mouth.
  • Duraluminium in conjunction with lightweavig(making super loud noises or flashbangs).
  • Duraluminium in conjunction with soulcasting.  Potentially helpful against highly resistant substances(like things already alive).

I don't honestly see Duraluminum being that useful for a KR. We haven't seen any limit to the amount of stormlight they can use at any one time, so Duraluminum would just use it all up at once in an uncontrolled burst, as opposed to being able to use it just as fast if you wanted to, with more control.

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

He won't stay the only one. Harmony will eventually send at least Mistings to Roshar. Well technically Demoux is a Misting.

True.

46 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I don't honestly see Duraluminum being that useful for a KR. We haven't seen any limit to the amount of stormlight they can use at any one time, so Duraluminum would just use it all up at once in an uncontrolled burst, as opposed to being able to use it just as fast if you wanted to, with more control.

An upper limit exists.  Otherwise during a highstorm Kaladin could move mountains.

5 minutes ago, Karger said:

An upper limit exists.  Otherwise during a highstorm Kaladin could move mountains.

Has he ever tried? :P I think it's more likely that there is a limit to how much stormlight they can hold, or how fast they can breath it in.

3 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Has he ever tried? :P I think it's more likely that there is a limit to how much stormlight they can hold, or how fast they can breath it in.

If their is using that metal might allow the stormlight through him faster.

2 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Random thought I had a while back, but if you’re a Skybreaker or a Windrunner, lash a coin a couple dozen times, and then just Pull on the coin in order to hitch a free ride without using as much Stormlight as usual (I think).

You'd still have to lash the coin enough times so that it would be falling with enough force to pull your weight, right?

Edited by Nameless

If you can soulcast quickly enough, you could steel jump wherever you wanted, without having to bring coins for anchors. Jump, soulcast a bit of metal close to the ground, push, repeat.

Bonus if you can refuel your steel and duralumin with soulcasting quickly enough, every one of your steelpushed jumps would be a duralumin powered superjump. 

18 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

Bonus if you can refuel your steel and duralumin with soulcasting quickly enough, every one of your steelpushed jumps would be a duralumin powered superjump. 

Provided duraluminium does not wipe out your Stormlight. Hence the need for experimentation.

17 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Provided duraluminium does not wipe out your Stormlight. Hence the need for experimentation.

Youre right, it probably would. I guess you would have to carry spheres, and take in only enough stormlight to refuel each time.

1 hour ago, Ciridae said:

If you can soulcast quickly enough, you could steel jump wherever you wanted, without having to bring coins for anchors. Jump, soulcast a bit of metal close to the ground, push, repeat.

that defiantly seems like a viable way to keep up with some one like a windrunner although soul casting savantism could have some problems to be fair thats only if they were using a soul caster which would result in some parts of the body becoming metal  if they have a spren bond the savantism manifests in a unkown way but assuming a soul caster is used i wonder what would occur if one tried to burn the metal there body has now become assuming its allomanticaly viable also burning metals like alluminun would effectively be a death sentence if the metal is usable for allomancy

bronze, copper, aluminum, duralumin, chromium, and nicrosil could definitely make for interesting interactions, whcih could be very fun to explore.  Copper in particular i'd want to test not just with my own stuff, but with other surges as well.  like if i have a coppercloud up will that make it harder for someone else to heal me using progression?  what about trying ot heal someone else inside the cloud?  what if the healer is inside vs outside the boundary of the cloud when they try.  and similar tests for all the surges that you could do (though maybe be very careful with destruction and soulcasting, probably dont want to test that on a person...).  plus bronze to see if say the different wind runner lashing feel different.  or if Renarin's use of progression feels different from Lift's, since its the same surge being used by different orders (to say nothing of how Renarin's particular illumination surge would feel).