Powers

Retrac

Lightweaver, unabashedly.

If I can't get Stormlight, then Mistborn. Ironpulling and Steelpushing is god-tier in a city chock full of metal in almost every building. In a modern room, you are literally in a box of metal, being able to push and pull from any number of them and in any direction.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, Eternal Khol said:

BioChromatic Breath is where its at

Only if you attain H5, at least in terms of IRL applicability. Life sensing, perfect pitch, or perfect color sense would be kind of neat, but not particularly life-changing for me. Awakening stuff would be very cool, though.

Any of the Rosharan Surges would require both access to Stormlight and bonding a spren, the former of which wouldn't exist and the second of which kind of freaks me out (remember when Kaladin reflects uncomfortably on just how far Syl's interest in his love live might end up going)?

Elantrian? I would have to move to Elantris, and then stay there, more or less!

For this kind of discussion I think being a full Mistborn or Feruchemist is clearly OP, as in Era 2+ having "one power" means one Metalborn ability in one metal.

Logically it should be Allomantic pewter - a net positive, "power for free on tap" ability that makes me stronger, more dextrous, quicker, and recover faster from injury... But really, F-zinc would probably be the #1 most useful thing in my life, and I could even use it surreptitiously and not risk gaining the attention of the Powers That Be that might want to experiment on me, or threaten me or those I love to force me to serve them, or something like that.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:42 PM, asmodeus said:

Ironpulling and Steelpushing is god-tier in a city chock full of metal in almost every building. In a modern room, you are literally in a box of metal, being able to push and pull from any number of them and in any direction.

See, if the government noticed you flying around, you'd lose your freedom pretty quickly, I'd think, for all intents and purposes.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

Only if you attain H5, at least in terms of IRL applicability. Life sensing, perfect pitch, or perfect color sense would be kind of neat, but not particularly life-changing for me. Awakening stuff would be very cool, though.

Any of the Rosharan Surges would require both access to Stormlight and bonding a spren, the former of which wouldn't exist and the second of which kind of freaks me out (remember when Kaladin reflects uncomfortably on just how far Syl's interest in his love live might end up going)?

Elantrian? I would have to move to Elantris, and then stay there, more or less!

For this kind of discussion I think being a full Mistborn or Feruchemist is clearly OP, as in Era 2+ having "one power" means one Metalborn ability in one metal.

Logically it should be Allomantic pewter - a net positive, "power for free on tap" ability that makes me stronger, more dextrous, quicker, and recover faster from injury... But really, F-zinc would probably be the #1 most useful thing in my life, and I could even use it surreptitiously and not risk gaining the attention of the Powers That Be that might want to experiment on me, or threaten me or those I love to force me to serve them, or something like that.

See, if the government noticed you flying around, you'd lose your freedom pretty quickly, I'd think, for all intents and purposes.

If you are using the realistic attainment of a power source as a limiter, then mistborn and feruchemy is also out. The metal only acts as a gateway for mistborn. If you are on earth, then there isn't any preservation or harmony, so there is no power to flow through the metal. So you would just give yourself metal poisoning. Regarding feruchemy, if no preservation, ruin, or harmony, then there is no spiritual DNA for you to have access to these abilities, so that is out as well.

So I would rather approach this as hey what power would you enjoy having if you could pick whatever power you want, without having to be concerned at where your power is sourced. 

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

If you are using the realistic attainment of a power source as a limiter, then mistborn and feruchemy is also out. The metal only acts as a gateway for mistborn. If you are on earth, then there isn't any preservation or harmony, so there is no power to flow through the metal. So you would just give yourself metal poisoning. Regarding feruchemy, if no preservation, ruin, or harmony, then there is no spiritual DNA for you to have access to these abilities, so that is out as well.

So I would rather approach this as hey what power would you enjoy having if you could pick whatever power you want, without having to be concerned at where your power is sourced. 

OK, in terms of what magic would I love to try out, it's probably being a Coinshot. (Or being a full Mistborn, which would include being a Coinshot.) But what I'd actually use the most, day to day, if I could, would be a zincmind.

My other concern about Surgebinding, aside from availability of Stormlight, would still stand, too: having a sentient spren around me 24/7 seems like something I might find unsettling. I assume I'd get used to it, and of course part of the Nahel bond is probably having a deep Connection that helps smooth things over, but I'm often introverted and want "alone time"; the idea of never being guaranteed alone time is pretty distressing.

If I could get over that, I think I'd like to try being a Truthwatcher - not a la Renarin, but the "real deal" (I guess like The Stump?). Having the ability to heal others, and also to spin illusions with Illumination. (I kind of think I'd be temperamentally inclined to "see things" than to "do things", as well.)

18 minutes ago, robardin said:

OK, in terms of what magic would I love to try out, it's probably being a Coinshot. (Or being a full Mistborn, which would include being a Coinshot.) But what I'd actually use the most, day to day, if I could, would be a zincmind.

My other concern about Surgebinding, aside from availability of Stormlight, would still stand, too: having a sentient spren around me 24/7 seems like something I might find unsettling. I assume I'd get used to it, and of course part of the Nahel bond is probably having a deep Connection that helps smooth things over, but I'm often introverted and want "alone time"; the idea of never being guaranteed alone time is pretty distressing.

If I could get over that, I think I'd like to try being a Truthwatcher - not a la Renarin, but the "real deal" (I guess like The Stump?). Having the ability to heal others, and also to spin illusions with Illumination. (I kind of think I'd be temperamentally inclined to "see things" than to "do things", as well.)

The spren issue I would see as getting to know them and their proclivities lol. So for instance if it was Ivory, a reasoned explanation regarding boundaries I think would suffice. If it was Pattern, (and assuming he isn't worried I will kill him like with Shallan), then I would put forward research into an experiment. When I would like to be alone, or be alone with my wife, Pattern can see how he experiences the world as a sprenblade in the living room without moving from the spot I leave him till I come back. Then he can tell me all his findings after. Wyndle I think would be horrified by the idea and voluntarily leave. Syl is a prankster, so it would more be a matter of directing her pranks elsewhere onto someone else. Perhaps a pesky neighbor? Glys I would imagine would know what is coming, so would give space voluntarily. The stormfather doesn't want anything to do with humans, so I highly doubt he would bother to watch. Whatever the skybreaker spren are could be reasoned with that voyeurism against the explicit permission of those involved is illegal and thereby they cannot engage in said practice. Timbre I think would be respectful. That I would just have to ask. I don't think we know enough about ash spren or stone spren (if that is what they are called for stonewards) for me to say. That was fun to write lol. 

Edited by Pathfinder

• Chaos locked this topic