Shallan's Lullaby Lyrics. How?

Now go to sleep in Chasms deep with Darkness all around you.

Though Rock and Dread may be your bed so sleep my Baby Dear.

Now comes the Storm but you'll be warm the Wind will rock your Basket.

The Crystal's fine will glow Sublime so sleep my Baby Dear.

And with a song it won't be long, you'll sleep my Baby Dear.

Okay, this song has some odd parts to it, besides the overall creepiness of singing it to a Toddler. But my Question is, Where did Shallan's Father (What's his name?) Hear or make this Song. Shallan's like, 17, and the shattered plains were discovered and Explored about 15 years ago. So what are the chasms' referring to?

And Have we seen Crystals anywhere yet?

Also, Darkness (Nale) and Rock (Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor) ), were both mentioned in the Song, as is the Storm in the Chasms, and the Whole Chasm Scene itself.

it's worth pointing out that there are some pretty creepy and disturbing lullabies in the real world. "Rock a bye baby, on the tree top", "Alouette", and one about dying in your sleep spring to mind off the top of my head.

The Shattered plains were discovered and explored by the Alethi beginning 15 years ago, but that doesn't mean that they were totally unknown or unheard of before that. The song might be a hint of lore about the shattered plains working its way into some sort of mainstream culture or possibly be a result of Odium's influence on Lin, which would certainly be an intriguing possibility. Or perhaps they refer to some other chasm entirely. After all, it's doubtful that they're exclusive to the shattered plains.

I don't think you should read too much into the mention of darkness, rock. or storms in the original song (where they are not capitalised). Most lullabies reference darkness or night in one form or another, and rocks and storms are pretty much universal experiences on Roshar.

I would assume crystals refers to gemstones, which ties back into the storm infusing the stones with light while the wind rocks the baby's basket.

Edit: We have actually seen chasms in other places, during Kaladin's dream sequence riding on the winds, he flies over a city that's basically built into the walls of chasms.

Edited by Sphinx

Where is Rock mentioned in the lullaby? I see 'Rock' in the verse, but I'm not exactly sure that it would be referring to everyone's favorite Horneater. If you didn't intentionally capitalize it, then I'd say it's more of a...what's the word for it? That it has some significant meaning. But I've always imagined that it's the actual rockiness of the chasms.

Sphinx beat me to "a lot of lullabies sound disturbing" part. Both them and nursery rhymes, like "Ashes to Ashes" are pretty grim.

I imagine literal crystal growths on the sides of the wall. But nothing in either of the books, except for Wyndle, the spheres, and the gemhearts, indicate natural crystal formations.

We may be making events conform to prophecy, to make it appear to be fulfilled.... but it is a little crazy how easily they fit.

Actually, reading it again, almost the whole thing almost perfectly describes Shallan and Kaladin's scene where they weather the storm in the chasms:

Now go to sleep in Chasms deep with Darkness all around you. [s&K safe in the cubby Shallan cut from the wall, darkness all around]

Though Rock and Dread may be your bed so sleep my Baby Dear. [Again, rock in the chasm, dread due to questions of survival, chasmfiends, parshendi, loss of Syl, etc]

Now comes the Storm but you'll be warm the Wind will rock your Basket. [The storm hits, Kaladin holding Shallan, Kaladin = Wind]

The Crystal's fine will glow Sublime so sleep my Baby Dear. [tenuous: The storm refreshing the stormlight of Shallan's dropped gem]

And with a song it won't be long, you'll sleep my Baby Dear. [i've got nothing here.]

I don't consider it anything special. The lullaby was composed by Brandon's stepfather, if I recall correctly, which alone should be enough to make it less plot-significant. It is contained within Shallan's flashback chapters, offering both an introduction and a conclusion, so I am even more inclined to believe it has no meaning outside of them. Plus, given Roshar's nature, words like "rock," "chasm," and "crystal" are likely to show up in culture.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's just another example of creepy lullaby for children. All the things mentioned seem like things recognizable on Roshar, and any parallels we get could be us reading to deeply into it. Like Aheerema says, making events conform to prophecy.

Silly little chicken Roo, his feet are green, and beak is blue. What ever you say, he'll say it too, that silly little chicken Roo.

Silly little chicken Roo, his feet are green, and beak is blue. What ever you say, he'll say it too, that silly little chicken Roo.

It occurs to me that repetitive kids rhymes are rather like keteks. I wonder if that happens on Roshar.

• 4 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic