Rotten tomato

garlick

Just a really random thought. I might have the name wrong but when wax and wayne were talking strategies they talked about 1 where wax would fling Wayne into the middle of everyone then he would splat and heal think that was called rotten tomato. Well if we replaced wax with kaladin and wayne with lift how far could she make it. Slick her self and kaladin just lashes her like crazy....lets say kaladin stays behind so he cant keep lashing her. 

Someone could do the math and figure out how far Lift could 'fall' under the appropriate multiple of gravity (base acceleration of 6.8 m/s^2 on Roshar) and not really need to account for air resistance since Lift can negate that and also heal if she somehow exceeds the limits of Abrasion. The issue would be figuring out how long Kaladin's lashings could last and whether there's a point of maximal efficiency.

My guess is the totally unscientific 'pretty storming far'. :D

Edited by Weltall

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it was "Spoiled Tomato", but small difference, really.

Eventually the Stormlight in a Lashing would run out, but until then, Lift with a single Lashing on her towards the horizon, on level ground and slicked up to zero friction, would make Lift travel horizontally as if she were "falling" in a vacuum straight at the horizon, right?

Roshar has less gravity than Earth. I don't remember how much less, but for simple math, let's round 1 g of gravity on Earth to 32 ft/sec/sec and assume Roshar has a gravitational constant of 26 ft/sec/sec.

Let's assume that a single infuse-and-release Lashing from Kaladin would last for a full minute, or 60 seconds.

At the end of 60 seconds, then, with no air resistance or ground friction due to Lift's Slick Awesomeness, she'd be going 60*26 = 1560 feet per second, which a Google conversion to miles/hour tells me is... 1063.636 MPH. YIKES.

And that's from a SINGLE LASHING. Now remember that Kaladin once dide a quadruple Lashing on himself that was enough to cause cracks in Shardplate with his feet with a flying kick in the dueling arena when aiding Adolin. If he quadruple Lashed Lift on level ground, oh Adonalsium.

(Note that this assumes that the Surge of Abrasion (the "slickness") defeats air resistance as it does ground friction. Maybe it doesn't. In which case we'd need to figure out Lift's "terminal velocity", a phrase that feels kind of like a morbid prediction if Lift were to collide with something big and stationary.)

Edited by robardin

15 minutes ago, robardin said:

I believe it was "Spoiled Tomato", but small difference, really.

Eventually the Stormlight in a Lashing would run out, but until then, Lift with a single Lashing on her towards the horizon, on level ground and slicked up to zero friction, would make Lift travel horizontally as if she were "falling" in a vacuum straight at the horizon, right?

Roshar has less gravity than Earth. I don't remember how much less, but for simple math, let's round 1 g of gravity on Earth to 32 ft/sec/sec and assume Roshar has a gravitational constant of 26 ft/sec/sec.

Let's assume that a single infuse-and-release Lashing from Kaladin would last for a full minute, or 60 seconds.

At the end of 60 seconds, then, with no air resistance or ground friction due to Lift's Slick Awesomeness, she'd be going 60*26 = 1560 feet per second, which a Google conversion to miles/hour tells me is... 1063.636 MPH. YIKES.

And that's from a SINGLE LASHING. Now remember that Kaladin once dide a quadruple Lashing on himself that was enough to cause cracks in Shardplate with his feet with a flying kick in the dueling arena when aiding Adolin. If he quadruple Lashed Lift on level ground, oh Adonalsium.

(Note that this assumes that the Surge of Abrasion (the "slickness") defeats air resistance as it does ground friction. Maybe it doesn't. In which case we'd need to figure out Lift's "terminal velocity", a phrase that feels kind of like a morbid prediction if Lift were to collide with something big and stationary.)

All other things being equal, Terminal Velocity is a function of the Drag Coefficient of the object in question, which in turn is calculated to account two factors: Skin Friction (which Abrasion should be able to Zero out) and Form Drag (which is based on the forward facing shape of the object but is independent of the surface 'slickless').  With Abrasion, Lift should be able to blank out hte Skin Friction, but her body still has to shove a mass of air out of the way as she passes, which is a type of drag that Abrasion alone likely cannot address. Adhesion might, be able to pull it off in a working similar to when Kaladin split the storm that time, but I digress.  With Lift, or Abrasion user, they will be able to easily outpace any other flyer with equivalent Lashings, and while she cannot entirely negate the drag, she can negate a large percentage of it.  Her absolute max Velocty is going to vary based on other factors like air temperature, altitude/atmospheric pressure, and especially her body shape and flying posture.  Skydivers have been able to break the sound barrier before (took a 20 mile dive) so Lift should be able to as well.  But all the equations change at the sound barrier, and Form Drag has waaaaay more impact on things at that stage, so without something mroe akin to aircraft/rocket thrust, I dont see her getting enough lashings on her to push much past Mach1 where she'd start projecting a supersonic shock wave.  

16 minutes ago, Quantus said:

All other things being equal, Terminal Velocity is a function of the Drag Coefficient of the object in question, ... With Abrasion, Lift should be able to blank out hte Skin Friction, but her body still has to shove a mass of air out of the way as she passes, which is a type of drag that Abrasion alone likely cannot address.

... Her absolute max Velocty is going to vary based on other factors like air temperature, altitude/atmospheric pressure, and especially her body shape and flying posture.  Skydivers have been able to break the sound barrier before (took a 20 mile dive) so Lift should be able to as well.  But all the equations change at the sound barrier, and Form Drag has waaaaay more impact on things at that stage, so without something mroe akin to aircraft/rocket thrust, I dont see her getting enough lashings on her to push much past Mach1 where she'd start projecting a supersonic shock wave.  

This is great. I forgot about the sound barrier. Mach 1 on Earth is about 767 mph, not sure what it would be in Roshar where the air density is different (for one, they have a considerably higher oxygen content than we do). I also didn't know that real-life human skydivers have broken Mach 1. Wow.

So basically, "level ground to the horizon" Lift could easily achieve the speed of sound, if not sustain a speed much above it, with a Lashing, and with multiple Lashings, reach Mach 1 in well under 60 seconds. Yeeeeeeha.

• Chaos locked this topic