Something I need in my life

Not-So-Logicalspren

Just finished a reread of WoA and I decided that I need a novel/series telling the Alendi/Kwaan story. You get so many hints of awesome stuff happening and I want to know more. Also, Alendi to me seems like someone who has Vin's compassion mixed with Kelsier's brutality and I think that's a fascinating juxtaposition that would be very interesting to get some screen time. 

8 hours ago, Not-So-Logicalspren said:

Just finished a reread of WoA and I decided that I need a novel/series telling the Alendi/Kwaan story. You get so many hints of awesome stuff happening and I want to know more. Also, Alendi to me seems like someone who has Vin's compassion mixed with Kelsier's brutality and I think that's a fascinating juxtaposition that would be very interesting to get some screen time. 

As a hater of prequels I am going to take the opposing view.  Prequels are nearly always worse then the original(name one good prequels off the top of your head).  Part of what makes a story great is the ability to mythologies certain events.  Additionally everyone has their own headcanon about what things were like so it is impossible to satisfy everyone.  Finally as a subscriber to death of the author theory https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor I find the idea of a prequel to be an act of tyranny against the loyal reader.  I call on my brother and sister readers to revolt against this injustice and prevent these kinds of prequels from every being made!   

20 minutes ago, Karger said:

As a hater of prequels I am going to take the opposing view.  Prequels are nearly always worse then the original(name one good prequels off the top of your head).  Part of what makes a story great is the ability to mythologies certain events.  Additionally everyone has their own headcanon about what things were like so it is impossible to satisfy everyone.  Finally as a subscriber to death of the author theory https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor I find the idea of a prequel to be an act of tyranny against the loyal reader.  I call on my brother and sister readers to revolt against this injustice and prevent these kinds of prequels from every being made!   

Hahaha so long as I’m not the first causality in your uprising!

I can certainly see your reasoning, but there are several prequels out there that are wonderful, such as The Hobbit and (though many will probably disagree with me on this) New Spring.  I think the key to making a good prequel is to enhance the characters, not to advance the story line.  I definitely understand why you would hesitant to have a novel about Alendi’s entire Well of Ascension plot, but even a novella detalining a smaller plot point (such as Alendi accepting himself as the Hero of Ages) that we have no details about other than that it happened could give some insight into the log book in TFE and Kwaans’ metal plate in WoA, which could enhance those reading of Era 1.

Seems like a good idea to me. Of course to be fair , I have never been invested in bad prequels and have no experience in that field. The only prequels I have read are the " dunk and egg "novellas , " the  princess and the queen " novella and " fire and blood " , which are prequels to asoiaf series. I loved them. I think Brandon would create lovely prequels. Prequels about other series would be welcome too.

Stormlight spoilers :

I would also love prequels about the desolations and pre desolation times on Ashyn . A prequel about the fall of the hierocracy and the conquest of Sadees the sunmaker and the shin invasions would be great too.

Warbreaker spoilers :

Prequels about the 5 scholars and the Manywar is welcome too. 

Shadows for silence in the forest of hell( damnation I love this title ) spoilers :

A prequel about life on the Homeland and the rise of the Evil or about the first explorations of the continent of Hell

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

17 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

brandon says in the commentaries he has no intention of doing it and he feels the story of alendi is better left vaguely sketched.

i'm too lazy to dig out the exact references

Fic writers, you have a mission! A great mission, according to my phone and who am I to argue with the wisdom of Autocomplete?

• Chaos locked this topic