Shardsblades and gems

Impact

What if the reason that dead Shardblades could only be dismissed after having a gemstone attached is that the process mimics capturing a spren in a gemstone, now that we know that shardblades are just spren and fabrials require a spren.  Maybe somehow the gem acts like a tether to the person bonded with it, and it is in a way holding the spren within.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

What else could be happening?

Idunno, man, it was just something I thought of and wanted to share.  

No offense, but what's with all the snark?  I'm just sharing my ideas.

Just now, Impact said:

Idunno, man, it was just something I thought of and wanted to share.  

No offense, but what's with all the snark?  I'm just sharing my ideas.

Not trying to be snarky trying to prove your theory.  If we can't come up with a reasonable alternative then it indicates that you are correct.  As such it seems like a good idea try and think of alternatives especially because your theory makes so much sense.

Just now, Karger said:

Not trying to be snarky trying to prove your theory.  If we can't come up with a reasonable alternative then it indicates that you are correct.  As such it seems like a good idea try and think of alternatives especially because your theory makes so much sense.

My bad, that's fair.  I honestly never thought of alternatives, or even about this in general, it just popped in my head.  I may start scouring the Arcanum and the forums to see if anyone else has another idea to see what others think

2 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

Do we know if those gemstones ever go dun or refill with stormlight? Is there extra investiture needed for summoning/dismissing a dead blade?

They can be summoned or dismissed even if the gemstone is dun.  Navani and Dalinar talk about it in WoR.

4 hours ago, Karger said:

They can be summoned or dismissed even if the gemstone is dun.  Navani and Dalinar talk about it in WoR.

That could be because the spren of the shardblade still retains the part that allows it to cross between realms to it's bonded anchor, despite being a deadeye. So the spren itself has the Investiture for it.

We see a deadeye in Oathbringer--Ico's father. Ico keeps his father locked in a room on his ship so that he doesn't wander off to whereever his Physical body is being held. And when they're summoned, spren are the Shardblade, not in the gem. So I don't think it works like a fabrial, really.

It seems like the gem functions a little bit in the place of the Nahel bond, fascillitating enough of a connection between the person and the spren to get the spren to "live" a little when summoned. That would fit with why Radiants hear the spren screaming when they touch a summoned dead Shardblade.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, RShara said:

It seems like the gem functions a little bit in the place of the Nahel bond, fascillitating enough of a connection between the person and the spren to get the spren to "live" a little when summoned. That would fit with why Radiants hear the spren screaming when they touch a summoned dead Shardblade.

It seems to me like the fake Nahel bond is kind of a mock fabrial, if that makes sense.  It's an artificial connection rather than an organic one.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, Q10fanatic said:

If a radiant touched a dead blade that didn't have a gem, would they hear it scream? I guess we'll have to wait until Brandon reveals one of the missing caches.

I would guess probably, because the spren is still dead

• Chaos locked this topic