Ornamental Shardplate upkeep

Impact

I never really thought of it before, but all the ornamentation on shardplate probably has to be remade anytime damage is taken.  Obviously anything welded on (still not sure how that works entirely) would have to be recast and reattached, but any coloration would probably also need to be repainted after the plate grows back.  

Just something I found interesting

15 minutes ago, Impact said:

I never really thought of it before, but all the ornamentation on shardplate probably has to be remade anytime damage is taken.  Obviously anything welded on (still not sure how that works entirely) would have to be recast and reattached, but any coloration would probably also need to be repainted after the plate grows back.  

Most likely one of the reasons Dalinar insists on keeping his the normal grey.  Maintaining the ornamentation would be extremely difficult in the field.

52 minutes ago, Karger said:

Most likely one of the reasons Dalinar insists on keeping his the normal grey.  Maintaining the ornamentation would be extremely difficult in the field.

That was kind of my thought.  I imagine that Shardbearers on extended campaigns either keep artisans around to repaint their plate, or end up with a very mixed set of unpainted and painted plate.

This also raises the question of getting the paint off.  I would guess they basically sand it down?  Idunno, just weird stuff I think about

23 minutes ago, Impact said:

This also raises the question of getting the paint off.  I would guess they basically sand it down?  Idunno, just weird stuff I think about

Nothing special about the paint itself.  Sanding it would work or perhaps they can use some kind of acid.

Just now, Karger said:

Nothing special about the paint itself.  Sanding it would work or perhaps they can use some kind of acid.

That's what I was getting at.  I was kind of just "speaking" my thoughts out loud more than implying anything interesting

It would have implications on those borrowing plate, like the King's Blades and Plate that get loaned out for duels.  The plate readjusts itself to fit whomever is wearing it, and a lot of paints would start to crack and flake off under that kind of strain.  

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Kind of sort of. Dalinar said they buffed the paint out of his to get it back to the grey when he first got his, which is pretty much sanding from what I understand.

I should have remembered that since I read the scene where he first wore his plate like yesterday... but yeah

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

It would have implications on those borrowing plate, like the King's Blades and Plate that get loaned out for duels.  The plate readjusts itself to fit whomever is wearing it, and a lot of paints would start to crack and flake off under that kind of strain.  

Never even thought of that.  They never do mention that despite the King's plate being borrowed often

38 minutes ago, Impact said:

Never even thought of that.  They never do mention that despite the King's plate being borrowed often

I believe the King's plate is its normal grey.

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

I believe the King's plate is its normal grey.

May be, though when he was alive I believe it was blue, according to the wiki.  Not sure if it stayed that way later on

6 minutes ago, Impact said:

May be, though when he was alive I believe it was blue, according to the wiki.  Not sure if it stayed that way later on

I am also not sure that they lend the plate I thought it was just the blades.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

I am also not sure that they lend the plate I thought it was just the blades.

I'm fairly certain they do lend it for training and dueling purposes.  But you could be right

Found a WoB that might dispute the need to fix armor, unless I'm misreading it

And I know it's a double post, but this is kind of a new thought/answer to my own question.

Questioner

In the book [The Way of Kings] you discuss that if you were to lose a piece of Shardplate you have to regrow the part back, or else someone takes it and tries to regrow the entire plate. One thing that has been bugging me for a while now is if you were to take a small piece of the armor, such as a glove, and fuel it with Stormlight to regrow the whole armor, does it retain the original armor? Like does it retain how it looked before, the glove?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes

Questioner

So it just transfers over.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, and the original glove will disintegrate.

Firefight Atlanta signing (Jan. 24, 2015)

Edited by Impact

24 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

Yeah I think they do lend out Plate, though I think they also have a couple of spare sets for that purpose so likely those sets aren't painted, since it would be an expense with no benefit.

"Expense with no Benefit"...Sounds like the Lighteyes' style to me :P

21 minutes ago, Quantus said:

"Expense with no Benefit"...Sounds like the Lighteyes' style to me :P

But not realy a Kholin thing.  They tend to be practical thinkers and prefer utility.

4 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Not to hate on Brandon, I love Brandon, but this may just be an oversight that we should fill in mentally, rather than there being an actual reason.

Lol.  Nearly every time a fan says that they are proven wrong by another sharp eyed fan or by Brandon himself when the next book comes out.  I am not saying it never happens but the team at Dragonsteal has an extremely good record so far.

Just now, Karger said:

But not realy a Kholin thing.  They tend to be practical thinkers and prefer utility.

Dalinar yes, Galivar maybe, Elokhar no. 

For Dalinar it's a waste of time and effort better spent elsewhere, but for nearly anyone else that is high enough up on the social food chain to actually wear Plate, it's likely to be a trivial expense at best (and a menial task they expect servants to keep up with).  It entirely depends on their opinions of the value of Fashion, and as one example we've all met Adolin...  

10 hours ago, Impact said:

Just something I found interesting

Paint I can just suspend disbelief on. It’s paint, cool.

The Welded Ornamentation, however, is something that bugs me. 

With our modern technology, welders can work their mojo on any kind of metal you set in front of them... Provided the pieces are the same type and of reasonably similar composition.

How in the Crem Filled Storms, with a typical forge and bellows, are they able to to weld dissimilar metals?!?!

HOW?!?

Edited by IllNsickly
Let’s eat, Grandpa!

9 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

Paint I can just suspend disbelief on. It’s paint, cool.

The Welded Ornamentation, however, is something that bugs me. 

With our modern technology, welders can work their mojo on any kind of metal you set in front of them... Provided the pieces are the same type and of reasonably similar composition.

How in the Crem Filled Storms, with a typical forge and bellows, are they able to to weld dissimilar metals?!?!

HOW?!?

Blow torch heating fabrials

You heard it here first, folks

Edited by Impact

50 minutes ago, Impact said:

Blow torch heating fabrials

Lol

10 hours ago, IllNsickly said:

Melt some bronze over a fire and poor it onto the correct area of plate.  Add ornamentation using bronze like glue.  Scrape of excess bronze with shardblade.  I am not an expert on welding but this should work no?

8 minutes ago, Karger said:

Lol

Melt some bronze over a fire and poor it onto the correct area of plate.  Add ornamentation using bronze like glue.  Scrape of excess bronze with shardblade.  I am not an expert on welding but this should work no?

Brazing...

Well, I feel sheepish.

I am obviously not a welder...

1 minute ago, IllNsickly said:

Brazing...

Well, I feel sheepish.

I am obviously not a welder...

Thank you for making me look up the difference.  To Dalinar though I think the difference would be minimal.  Brandon likes to influence his readers by writing from the perspective of the narrator at the time.  Dalinar might not know the word brazing.

• Chaos locked this topic