Did you cry: Responding to the saddest moments in the cosmere

ShardShaper

Hi! If there is anything Brandon Sanderson loves, it's making his characters (and readers) miserable. Post your reactions to the saddest moments in the cosmere here!

For example during these parts of the cosmere I:

• Mistborn era one:
    • Vin's "did he beat you?" comment: Initially I thought she was kidding. Then when I realized she wasn't.
    • Kelsiers death: I actually thought this was probably for the best. I still cried.
    • When we realized Marsh had no control over what he was doing: Cried. I do that a lot.
    • HoA ending: Sat catonic for half an hour, quietly crying
  • Stormlight Archive:
    • Beginning scene with Cien: Was confused, until I realised Cien was not the main character. Then when he died, I cried again.
    • Kaladin's "all of my friends are dead" moment: I was still trying to figure out how the back-of-book-blurb fit into this. For once, I did not cry.
    • Kaladin's bridge-shield idea: I knew it would be a bad idea. That didn't make me cry less.
    • Tiens death flashback scene: I cried. Again. 
    • Shallan stops lying to herself and admits she killed BOTH her parents: At this point I was just weirded out by Shallan. I forgot to cry.
    • Elhokars death: I actually laughed and cheered for Moash until I realized that his son was there. Then I shut up.
    • The rift: I went catatonic again. Then I realized exactly what I thought of Dalinar (D6J6xRU.gif).
  • Mistborn era two:
  • Warbreaker: 
    • Lightsongs death: I was shocked. I then became very worried that this would be another HoA.

As you can see, I cry a lot. Add your own saddest moments of the cosmere, and how you responded to them!

Edited by ShardShaper

I rarely cry visibly when reading, but I have my own list of heartwrenching Cosmere moments.

-Every time Tien comes up. Every storming time.

-When Jezrien died. I know he wasn't really a character, but he was described as the greatest man who ever lived, and his loss crushed me.

-Hrathen deserves a mention. He was a great character.

-Shallan's brokenness. I really liked the Shallan we first saw, and every time she sinks deeper it hurts.

-Szeth's whole plotline. The fact that he was right all along, that he didn't even deserve his punishment, just made it even more poignant.

-Not Cosmere

Spoiler

Spensa's dad. Shot down by his friends because he thought they were dead.

My most recent listen through Oathbringer as soon as I realized Elhokar’s death was coming up I started crying.  Had to pause audible before I could get through it.

I’ve never cried for the end of HoA or for Lightsong’s death scene.  Both of them just felt so beautifully crafted, and the deaths didn’t really seem like something to mourn.  They were happy to sacrifice for what they knew was right.  It was bittersweet, but mostly sweet.

And I am totally with you on the anger toward Dalinar.  I feel like I can never forgive him.  He committed genocide.  I know tons of people expect him to become Honor, or Unity, or something, but I will honestly be mad if that happens.  I’d be okay if it’s a brief thing ending with him sacrificing himself (like Vin) so someone VASTLY more worthy can take it up after him (probably Kaladin, but I’d be okay with pretty much any other protagonist rather than Dalinar), but if he ends up staying as a shard for more than a few days then I’m going to be ticked.

Only after rereading some scenes in Oathbringer. When I read it for the first time I was very sad, but I didn't cry. On my reread, however, I cried a lot. After every flashback scene with Dalinar. He had a terrible, tragic life. And after every scene with him in parts 4 and 5. 

Dalinar's death scene will probably kill me. He doesn't deserve it and...this is just too much for me to handle. Though the whole readership will be happy with death of such an unworthy human garbage as Dalinar. 

12 hours ago, ShardShaper said:
  • Mistborn era one:
    • Kelsiers death: I actually thought this was probably for the best. I still cried.
    • When we realized Marsh had no control over what he was doing: Cried. I do that a lot.
    • HoA ending: Sat catonic for half an hour, quietly crying
  • Stormlight Archive:
    • Kaladin's "all of my friends are dead" moment: I was still trying to figure out how the back-of-book-blurb fit into this. For once, I did not cry.
    • Kaladin's bridge-shield idea: I knew it would be a bad idea. That didn't make me cry less.
    • Tiens death flashback scene: I cried. Again. 
    • Shallan stops lying to herself and admits she killed BOTH her parents: At this point I was just weirded out by Shallan. I forgot to cry.
    • Elhokars death: I actually laughed and cheered for Moash until I realized that his son was there. Then I shut up.
    • The rift: I went catatonic again. Then I realized exactly what I thought of Dalinar

The ones in bold are, off the top of my head, the ones I remember from MB and SA. It's such an emotional journey for Era 1 that, even though I know it's coming, I still well up at the end of Hero of Ages

... I did cry. A lot.

Obviously spoilers for Cosmere works:

Elantris:
- When Raoden turned Hoed and was brought to the pond by Galladon and Karata.

Warbreaker:
- When Lightsong died. The whole scene was so upsetting and emotional

Mistborn (era 1)
- Kelsier's death. That was a hard hit. I didn't expect that to happen in book one!
- Marsh's story. I can barely remember much about it, but it crushed my heart. (I'm rereading era 1 right now)
- The ending. Obviously.

Stormlight
- Kaladin at the honor chasm
- Teft, when Kaladin is unconscious
- Kaladin speaking the second ideal
- Dalinar freeing the bridgemen

- Kaladin, when he temporarily loses Syl
- Kaladin speaking the third ideal

- Kaladin returning home to Hearthstone and meeting his parents
- ELHOKAR
- Jasnah and Renarin in the end
- "You cannot have my pain"
- "Perhaps it's time for someone to save you"
- Bridge Four saving Kaladin from Amaram

... And probably a lot more times I can't remember right now.

I don’t cry for sad parts of books or movie, or in general. That being said, for some reason when I read parts of books that have a sense of moment, such as prophesy or when a major plot line comes to its climax, I get cold chills and my eyes water. It’s really weird because I’m excited, not sad.

I'm not very external with showcasing emotion, so I don't think I actually cried during any Cosmere read except Oathbringer. (Too much emotion)

also, Honorable Non-Cosmere mention for A Memory of Light

Spoiler

When at the end of "The Last Battle" chapter, Lan Sheaths The Sword, and I thought he died, and that was my breaking point, I sobbed for a good 15 minutes before I could keep reading

4 minutes ago, ShardShaper said:

What is wrong with... Oh wait. You're a Moash hater. I guess that makes sence

Talking about the end of OB? Yeah, I didn't cry, I just got angry. That was when I started hating Moash.

Edited by Invocation

27 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I'm not very external with showcasing emotion, so I don't think I actually cried during any Cosmere read except Oathbringer. (Too much emotion)

also, Honorable Non-Cosmere mention for A Memory of Light

Hide contents

When at the end of "The Last Battle" chapter, Lan Sheaths The Sword, and I thought he died, and that was my breaking point, I sobbed for a good 15 minutes before I could keep reading

Spoiler

I legit had goosebumps tthrought that entire protracted scene. (The Last Battle) 

I don't cry I go catatonic, but sue me I don't really care except when Jezrien was killed then I went totally D6J6xRU.gif on Moash (then I went back to feeling bad for him)

I was totally bummed when Wax and Steris were gonna be a thing (cause I thought Lessie would be back then she came back as a kandra D6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gifD6J6xRU.gif) STORMING BRANDON

Edited by HemalurgicBeaverOfDeath

2019 has been a pretty rough year for me so far.  My emotional state has been...prone to sadness.  I've been re-reading SA and there have been plenty of times I've shed a tear or ten.  It tends to be during Shallan's or Dalinar's struggles. But I think it's been a good thing for me.  It has given my emotions an outlet.

Nah, I didn't even like Elhokar that much! He was too paranoid, and not what Alethkar needed. Dalinar makes a much better king. In a way, Moash might have done a favor, in the long term status. Then again... if Elhokar had become a Knights Radiant, he might have changed. I still don't like him much.

Just now, Wander89 said:

Just finished Mistborn Era 2 and when Wax finds out that 

Reveal hidden contents

Lessie was Paalm all along and may have to kill her again

was a total gut-wrench, he'd worked so hard to rid himself of that memory

Congrats on your 300th post!

Also, when Evi cried during the flashbacks that pushed me over the edge. She deserved better!

Just now, Lunamor said:

Congrats on your 300th post!

Also, when Evi cried during the flashbacks that pushed me over the edge. She deserved better!

Slowly working my way up the ranks, @Lunamor! Yeah, that was also a punch in the stomach. I'm starting my Stormlight reread after Bands of Mourning and can already feel my heart tensing up!