Hello from someone who recently started reading books again.

Furugeru

Hello, small internet community! I recently came across Brandon Sanderson by reading Mistborn and I enjoyed the book somewhat. I have also started reading the Stormlight Chronicles which I enjoy at least 1000x more so far.

I am just your average nerd who likes anime, manga, visual novels, light novels, fantasy and sci fi novels, video games, and history. And I have bad grammar, so sorry about that.

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend me some good books? I haven't been reading for a while, and some good fantasy would be nice. I've already read some of the more popular things, like Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones.

Well I'll say it before anyone else does, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. Some seriously good stuff. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is another really good one. Welcome to the shard Furugeru. (You're not a fan of Trigun by chance?)

Well I'll say it before anyone else does, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. Some seriously good stuff. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is another really good one. Welcome to the shard Furugeru. (You're not a fan of Trigun by chance?)

Thanks for the recommendations! I had thought about reading The Name of the Wind sometime earlier but I am easily swayed by negative reviews. Sometimes. I'll give it a chance when I get the time then. Maybe.

I actually haven't got around to watching Trigun yet. I know it's one of those 'anime must see' shows so I'll definitely get around to it eventually.

And isn't it small? Seems tiny to me.

Edited by Furugeru

Welcome!

Have you read the rest of the cosmere novels? I'd definitely try to read them as quickly as possible if you are going to poke around the forums. The core of Brandon's books are all connected, so I'd definitely recommend reading Elantris and Warbreaker, along with the novellas. Plus they are all just swell reads on their own. 

Also, just to clariy:

I recently came across Brandon Sanderson by reading Mistborn and I enjoyed the book somewhat.

You did read the whole trilogy right?

No, I only read the first book. I spoiled myself on basically every major plot detail of the other two, so I lost the will to read them.

I'll definitely read the other Cosmere books when I get the money to buy all of them. So far I've only read the first Mistborn and somewhere past half of The Way of Kings.

No, I only read the first book. I spoiled myself on basically every major plot detail of the other two, so I lost the will to read them.

I'll definitely read the other Cosmere books when I get the money to buy all of them. So far I've only read the first Mistborn and somewhere past half of The Way of Kings.

Just so you know, Warbreaker is available for free on Brandon Sanderson's website. :)

Knowing the plot details is nowhere close to reading those books! The amount of character growth that occurs, their reactions to the story, the narrative! Vin is my all time favorite character. Her story arch is such an incredible journey of growth, and her character is so believable. 

To quote "The Way of Kings" 

Journey before Destination

Although I understand the money requirement. I guiltily bought the a few of his books when their was no room in the budget for them while going through school. By all means I'm not trying to browbeat you for being frugal, but it is such a wonderful read. My favorite trilogy I've ever read.

How do you only like Mistborn 'somewhat'...? It is like the best book series ever

I just didn't enjoy it as much as some people seem to have. I thought it was an overall good novel that was somewhat lacking in areas. Kelsier was the only character I really liked and most of them weren't very interesting or well developed (keep in mind I only read the first book). The dialogue in particular could get pretty bad at times. I really did enjoy the worldbuilding and magic system(s) though.

I am one of said members/ mostly lurker. And I really have to agree with the others. Knowing the plot will somewhat spoil the book. But they are still an amazing read. You really should try out the other two sometime. As for you having a tight budget, do you have local public library? Though if you tried Mistborn and didn't like parts of it maybe you should just keep reading the Stormlight Archive. It is pretty amazing and Brandon Sanderson has improved as a writer. You have to remember that the first Mistborn book was only his second published novel. And while i really really enjoyed it he is a better writer now. And hopefully will continue to become even better. . . somehow.

• Chaos locked this topic