Scadrial Thread

ZincAboutIt

Dove. He’d called her dove. Told her, she could stay without working, without paying, he requested nothing. Only allowed her to stay. She stared after Jeb, tried to understand what had happened right now, tried to stay in control of herself. Nice, they were all so nice, didn’t expect anything. She’d never been religious, but here and now she wished she could thank anybody for letting her cross their paths, for giving her this opportunity.

“It depends.”

She replied to Brillin.

“Itself, the parlor is no good target. The trainstation, the canal, they are better. If you control them, you can control the trade here in the octant.”

Pausing she looked at him, her voice shaking, when she slowly lost the fight

“If the parlor is one of the first ones to switch sides, they might come here regardless. To show off their strength, to stop others from following us. Punishment for betrayal.”

Attayl took another breath and knew she’d lost that fight. Usually she could act a part, but Jeb’s words had touched something in her, she hadn’t felt in years. When Brillin cared, that had been close, when Nerin offered her a spot in her room, it had been close but not like that. Again, she looked at the door where he had vanished and then she hastened out of the room, lowered her head to hide her face. The kitchen, she knew the way to the kitchen. Attayl sat down next to a cupoboard, pulled her knees up to her chest and gave in. Tears ran over her face, and she sobbed quietly. For the family she had lost, for those that had ruled over her life, that never cared but still kept her alive. For the friends that had been slaughtered yesterday. But mostly because of the kindness of Nerin and Brillin and the wolfbrothers, that had covered for her. Because of Jeb, who simply looked at her and extended his hand. She tried to muffle her sobs with her skirt, embarrassed by herself, but unable to stop it, overwhelmed by the situation.

@I think I am here.

Only because she replied to Brillin, before running off.

Edited by Sorana

Nerin cocked her head at the boy as he slid back into the room.

What is he up to? 

She was about to ask, when she heard Jeb's footsteps on the stairs again, and all her attention was drawn back to the matter at hand. He re-entered the parlor room with a wooden box tucked under one arm and a scowl on his face.

"Bleedin' me dry," he muttered, then set the box on the table. It was about a foot long and six inches high, made of polished dark walnut wood and latched with a polished steel clasp. Jeb lifted the clasp and opened the box, revealing a neat stack of boxing notes and a sizable pouch full of clips.

"This is the lot," Jeb said with a sigh, then looked up at Nerin. "I hate to ask this of ya girl, but it might be better if you deliver it."

Nerin blinked at Jeb. "I --," she began, then stopped. Her heart beat a little quicker. It makes sense, no one really knows me on the street. Well, except Lance. 

But he wouldn't kill her, would he? That would be stupid, if she were about to deliver money to his gang. And she was hardly a threat - what could she possibly do against someone like him? Or anyone, really?

Not helping yourself, are you? Nerin shoved her thoughts away, then looked up at Jeb. She nodded.

"Where should I go?" She asked, then looked around. "Does anyone know where to find them?"

On 06/06/2019 at 2:06 PM, Sorana said:

“It depends.”

She replied to Brillin.

“Itself, the parlor is no good target. The trainstation, the canal, they are better. If you control them, you can control the trade here in the octant.”

Pausing she looked at him, her voice shaking, when she slowly lost the fight

“If the parlor is one of the first ones to switch sides, they might come here regardless. To show off their strength, to stop others from following us. Punishment for betrayal.”

Brillin nodded and Attayl moved into another room, the boy who was with them moving into another room as well. Maybe they had to get something?

Brillin had another sip of his tea. It was good, but maybe he was being soothed to think that. But subs he had to stop being paranoid about soothers. If he enjoyed it, he enjoyed, it didn’t matter if the feeling was being created, because the end result was him liking the tea. In the same way, if everything went well in Elendel, it could prove to have been more interesting than what would have happened if he wasn’t stuck.

So, high risk, high reward. Too bad Brillin wasn’t a Spinner.

Attayl heard Nerin ask where she was supposed to go, and nobody replied. Nobody knew. They all had no idea what they were getting into. Slowly she got back to her feet, wiped her tears of her face. She knew that the skin around her eyes was coloured a tell-tale red, but for now she ignored it. She had to be strong, the weak would die, only the strong ones would stand a chance in this fight. Straightening her back she walked into the main parlor and resumed her seat.

"Was a destination mentioned in their letter?"

She asked.

"Otherwise just send them a note and they will tell you where to go."

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin jumped half a foot and whirled around, reaching her hand back behind her head before remembering that her hairpin daggers were up in her bedroom.

Rusts, she thought, eyes darting to Jeb, who had calmly closed the lid of the walnut box and slid it behind the bar.

"Stay there, girl," he told her, then strode to the door. Nerin felt herself calm down, trusting Jeb to handle whatever was happening.

Not too subtle with the brass this morning, she noted.

Jeb slid the deadbolt out of the front door and opened it slowly.

"Easy there, friend," he began, voice smooth and calm. "No need to break down the door."

@Invocation

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Easy there, friend," he began, voice smooth and calm. "No need to break down the door."

Stravomenos glared at the man who opened the door. "There is news you must hear. It is urgent. It was necessary that I be able to get your attention. The Farriers are watching this location quite closely, and I have spent the time since the Depot 9 incident following their chain until I found the location of someone high ranked within them. I understand you are facing a choice between two groups, though not much of one seeing what the man at the depot did," (with this, Stravomenos's eyes turned a pale red and angularly globular in nervousness), "and I want to help you do what you need to."

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin strode to the door, pulling it open further and beckoning the new fellow inside.

"You know where to find them?" She asked the stranger, noting his odd eyes. "Where to pay?"

Jeb circled back to the bar, pointedly not looking at the box full of cash that rested just behind the bartop.

@Invocation

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

Nerin strode to the door, pulling it open further and beckoning the new fellow inside.

"You know where to find them?" She asked the stranger, noting his odd eyes. "Where to pay?"

Jeb circled back to the bar, pointedly not looking at the box full of cash that rested just behind the bartop.

@Invocation

Stravomenos licked his lips and took a deep breath, suppressing the nerves and the change, his eyes fading back to a light yellow. "Well, there is one on your roof right now. But he's not in a position to accept money, plus he's...kind of intimidating. But if you follow me, I'll take you to one of their watchhouses."

@ZincAboutIt

Nerin froze. "The roof?" 

She looked at the newcomer. "There's a Farrier on our roof? And you didn't lead with that!?"

Suddenly, this morning's newly-wet paint on the wall of the alley made much more sense. Nerin felt a slight heat creep up her neck.

God beyond, I took a rusting bath out there not an hour ago.

Jeb splayed his hands out, as though trying to calm a panicked horse. "Now, girl, you go run along and get dressed, eh? I'll find out where to send ya."

Nerin was about to argue when she felt a powerful and sudden disinterest in pressing the matter. She dipped her chin at Jeb, who smiled and nodded his head toward the stairs. "Go on, get. Smarten up, I know you'll feel better if y'do."

Nerin scowled, but did as he told her.

-----

Once Nerin had disappeared up the stairs, Jeb turned to the new man.

"Right," he said, dropping some of his jovial demeanor. "Who are yah then, if I'm to be handing off my best girl to your care?"

@Invocation

8 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Right," he said, dropping some of his jovial demeanor. "Who are yah then, if I'm to be handing off my best girl to your care?"

"My name is Stravomenos Synais. I'm...not from around here, but I've been stranded here recently and I think I need to help some of the chaos here calm down before I can go back home. I have no interest in interfering with your 'best girl,' just in getting out of this horrible place and back to where I belong."

@ZincAboutIt

Edited by Invocation