1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

Alask nodded, Shez could listen himself. He paused for a moment, tilted his head slightly.

“He’s confused why you’d thank him. He says...” he paused again, to let Shez speak to him again. “He says it’s like thanking someone for breathing. Killing is what he does.” He smiled apologetically at Lena. “Sorry. Maybe it wasn’t like how you expected him to be like.”

Lena smiled as well.

"But there are times, when you are happy, that someone is breathing. And I am grateful, that he was there."

She replied.

"Why does he kill? What does it mean to him?"

29 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Lena smiled as well.

"But there are times, when you are happy, that someone is breathing. And I am grateful, that he was there."

She replied.

"Why does he kill? What does it mean to him?"

Alask looked uncomfortable for a second. “He doesn’t like the question,” he said quietly. “He says whenever someone breaks a Rule - you know, shed blood, kindle flame, run at night, he feels angry. Like when you feel so angry you could kill someone. More than that, apparently. And so to him the death is justified.”

41 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Alask looked uncomfortable for a second. “He doesn’t like the question,” he said quietly. “He says whenever someone breaks a Rule - you know, shed blood, kindle flame, run at night, he feels angry. Like when you feel so angry you could kill someone. More than that, apparently. And so to him the death is justified.”

"I'm sorry."

She apologized to both of them. And then because she hadn't answered his other question she added.

"I'll leave you out of it."

"What do you need me to do?"

28 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“Oh, huh,” Alask didn’t consider Nekorb overhearing. “My spren.”

“I am not a spren.”

"A spren?" Nekorb frowned. "What sort of spren...?" He shook his head. "Does this have anything to do with what happened to you a year ago? With the fight, after Alleyzon?"

3 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

Alask smiled to unsuccessfully hide his nervousness. “Um, yeah,” he said. 

"It's not a spren, is it?" Nekorb seemed confused. "You implied earlier that it wasn't, but then you said it was..." He shook his head again. "I'm perplexed, Alask."

2 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"It's not a spren, is it?" Nekorb seemed confused. "You implied earlier that it wasn't, but then you said it was..." He shook his head again. "I'm perplexed, Alask."

Alask laughed quietly, nervously. He out a hand to his forehead. “Maybe we should talk about both this some other place?”

Lita jumped a little at the sound of someone shouting down below on one of the main guest levels, briefly noting the man and then dismissing him. There were so many people here, so many to watch. She had about a dozen questions for Laurelai, but she worried that the thing hanging above their heads might hear her asking. Something told Lita that whatever it was didn't have much of a complicated agenda, but invisible spirit voices weren't something she wanted to mess with if she could help it. She tapped the tip of her nose with the end of her spanreed pen, then looked over at Okame, who was still attempting to worship the invisible voice. The rusting Horneater had just finished eating some kind of flatbread wrap that he'd managed to smuggle inside his robes, which would have impressed Lita if it didn't make her so terribly envious.

"Who is this Nightwatcher person you Rosharans keep talking about?" she asked Okame, more to keep him from talking to the invisible spirit than anything. She did admit to being curious though. Everyone she'd asked had skirted around the subject, talking about the "Old Magic." It smacked of secrets.

@Invocation

Laurelai's expression wavered for a moment as Lita asked about the Nightwatcher. Her brow furrowed for a moment before she focused once again and forced herself to impassiveness. She paused for a second before replying, running through a quick mental exercise to maintain her calm.

Just like a Stamp. Become a person who isn't curious about that, just a scholar. A scholar with some information that might be helpful to a curious student.

"The Nightwatcher is... complicated." Laurelai began. Her voice still wavered slightly but she maintained control over it. "A spren of some kind, as best we can tell. A little piece of Cultivation. She grants a blessing and a curse to those who visit her, sometimes related but usually not. And very rarely gives you what you wanted directly, or at the least not in the way you expected."

It was a question that Laurelai wondered herself. She'd studied the Nightwatcher in great detail, though she'd never made a return trip to visit her on Roshar. They said it was impossible anyway, she didn't see people twice. But she also didn't remember the first time she'd seen the Nightwatcher. She was young at the least, but she couldn't even recall precisely what age it was, just what she had been given, and what she had been cursed with.

Lita turned, surprised, when it was Laurelai who answered her question. Well, she wasn't surprised that Laurelai knew who the Nightwatcher was, but when last Lita had looked, the woman had been completely immersed in her watching. 

Like a hawk, Lita thought, briefly imagining Laurelai as an enormous raptor stuffed into a blue and silver havah. She coughed a little to hide her sudden giggle, then set down her glass of wine. Enough of that until I've had some food.

Laurelai seemed a bit odd talking about this subject, but Lita couldn't quite put her finger on it. There was a tiny frown creasing her brow, but Laurelai's voice was as easy and plain as it usually was. Except...there. A tiny waver. Lita forced herself not to smile at catching it, instead looking properly enlightened at the information - which was, actually, quite interesting.

"A blessing and a curse?" Lita asked. "So everyone knows that they will get cursed, but they go anyway? And there isn't even a guarantee that you'll get what you want?" 

50 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

A blessing and a curse?" Lita asked. "So everyone knows that they will get cursed, but they go anyway? And there isn't even a guarantee that you'll get what you want?" 

“You get what you want, all right,” The Haunt said. It had been centuries since he’d thought back on that day.

“But sometimes the blessing of a boon far outweighs the risk of a curse. As far as I’ve heard, anyway. And I’ve heard a lot.”

On 4/2/2019 at 11:03 AM, Ark1002 said:

The two men turned. Each held a spike, and both were completely blank faced.

Necromancer was in chains, and the chains contained whipper motivators. They turned on, and his epic powers were cancelled.

"Why did you trespass?" The voice came out of both of them, cold, emotionless.

Necromancer stiffened as the chains wrapped around his arms, freezing his face at that of a middle-aged man.  No, it couldn't be.  He was just a... a man again.  He battled to keep his features under control, facing the two faceless men.  "I trespass because I wish to.  If I must not, then return me to the area near the door."

@Ark1002

——

On 4/2/2019 at 3:51 PM, Dr. Dapper said:

He still has it.

Galvris regained control quickly, and held the card up for closer scrutiny.  It held a number, ostensibly Dwig's, emblazoned in silver on a white piece of paper.  He thanked Ciera, handed the card to Alask, and sat down at the table.

@Dr. Dapper

@I think I am here.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:50 AM, Vargo Seldon said:

Necromancer stiffened as the chains wrapped around his arms, freezing his face at that of a middle-aged man.  No, it couldn't be.  He was just a... a man again.  He battled to keep his features under control, facing the two faceless men.  "I trespass because I wish to.  If I must not, then return me to the area near the door."

@Ark1002

The men chuckled, though their faces remained cold and aloof, completely lacking in emotion.

"Oh, no. No, no, no."

Their voices were in sync.

"We have other plans for you." Finally, an emotion peaked into the face of the left one. He spoke on his own.

"And no one can hear you scream."

~~~

She turned to him. "The people you will meet with will be here soon. But... be careful. They can be... dangerous."

She smiled, and the door opened. It revealed a waiting room, with three red couches and a table, covered in fruits from various planets.

@JacobAccurateClaessen

Everyone, I will be unable to come on the shard for a few days, as I will be on vacation. So the speech will have to wait. Thank you!

Edited by Ark1002

2 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

The men chuckled, though their faces remained cold and aloof, completely lacking in emotion.

"Oh, no. No, no, no."

Their voices were in sync.

"We have other plans for you." Finally, an emotion peaked into the face of the left one. He spoke on his own.

"And no one can hear you scream."

~~~

She turned to him. "The people you will meet with will be here soon. But... be careful. They can be... dangerous."

She smiled, and the door opened. It revealed a waiting room, with three red couches and a table, covered in fruits from various planets.

Their chuckles grated against Necromancer like a physical blow, and he flinched away from them.  For the first time, he had a inkling of fear.  "Wait," he said, urgency leaking into his voice, "I can be useful!  I'm a scientist!  My powers are unique!"  Even as he said this, his hand found the small handgun hidden in his sleeve.  He held it with a sweaty, vice-like grip, ready to spring to action at any moment.

Have fun on Vacation Ark!

@Ark1002

14 hours ago, Sorana said:

Lena turned to Nekorb.

"What did you do during the last year?"

She asked him, as it seemed like their host might still take a while. Fit her well, speeches were boring.

@xinoehp512

Nekorb grimaced. "I've been in the hospital. It took a while for my injuries to heal, even considering..."

He trailed off, and shuddered.

@Sorana

Edited by xinoehp512

38 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Nekorb grimaced. "I've been in the hospital. It took a while for my injuries to heal, even considering..."

He trailed off, and shuddered.

@Sorana

Lena raised an eyebrow, but didn't ask.

"And what's your job at the forge?"