Could Vax be the Tranquiline Halls?

Arteth Chris

Question

I finished Mistborn: A Secret History last night and read Ati's enigmatic last word, 'Vax'. I checked out the theories and it seems most revolve around what Ati is seeing. I wondered though whether his comment is based, not on where he is and what he sees, but based on where he expected to be. It got me thinking- where was he expecting to end up when he died? Good Vorins on Roshar expect to go to the Tranquiline Halls. What if they are a real place like Damnation is a real place (Braize)? What if Vax is the real Cosmere name of the Tranquiline Halls (whatever they are- a place, a planet)?

Let me check with the Coppermind peeps. That seems odd.

36 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

Coppermind my young Scion

There's also a WoB but I'm too lazy to go try to find it

First sentence when you look up vax

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Vax

The wording's been changed to state, "Vax is likely a Shardworld in the Cosmere"

Edited by RShara

4 hours ago, Lightblood said:

Nothing is known about it besides it is a shardworld and that it looks like Scadrials subastral (or cognitive realm).

But do we know that Vax's subastral (or indeed Vax itself) looks like Scadrial's subastral? Perhaps it doesn't, perhaps Ati's confusion is that he expected to be somewhere else when he died. He expected to be in Vax (wherever that is). So his statement 'Vax?' is more along the lines of a puzzled 'This isn't Vax?' rather than thinking that where he is looks like Vax.

3 hours ago, Arteth Chris said:

But do we know that Vax's subastral (or indeed Vax itself) looks like Scadrial's subastral? Perhaps it doesn't, perhaps Ati's confusion is that he expected to be somewhere else when he died. He expected to be in Vax (wherever that is). So his statement 'Vax?' is more along the lines of a puzzled 'This isn't Vax?' rather than thinking that where he is looks like Vax.

Well Brandon isn't going to enlighten us anytime soon so I think this is one of the questions where we just have to say: Who Knows? (the answer of course being Brandon but he's mean)

On 24.3.2019 at 9:13 PM, Invocation said:

Then how do they torture them? Cognitive Shadows don't feel pain unless they're recently dead, and you'd think the Heralds would have gotten over that long ago with how many times they've died.

According to the honorspren Notum in Oathbringer, spren can be tortured in the Cognitive Realm, so maybe the the same methods can be applied to the Heralds when they are in cognitive state?

On 3/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, Invocation said:

Then how do they torture them? Cognitive Shadows don't feel pain unless they're recently dead, and you'd think the Heralds would have gotten over that long ago with how many times they've died.

Where did you get that from? Cognitive shadows can definitely feel pain. Are you talking about when Hoid was hurting Kelsier? Hoid experiences extreme nausea when trying to hurt others, he was just surprised when he didn't feel that while beating Kelsier. 

A Budgie (paraphrased)

So, Hoid can't physically hurt someone, but does this ban extend to mental harm and harm through inaction?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Hoid can mentally hurt someone, or allow them to be hurt, but when considering physical trauma he gets nauseous, to the point he can be incapacitated

Supanova 2017 - Perth (June 25, 2017)

Just now, Wandering Investor said:

Where did you get that from? Cognitive shadows can definitely feel pain. Are you talking about when Hoid was hurting Kelsier? Hoid experiences extreme nausea when trying to hurt others, he was just surprised when he didn't feel that while beating Kelsier. 

Yeah, it was during the Cognitive Shadow thing with those two, where Kelsier feels pain and Hoid says something along the lines of "your body thinks it should feel pain, so it does" if I recall correctly. (I wish I had AU with me, I'd try to find it). Probably just a misunderstanding on my part.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yeah, it was during the Cognitive Shadow thing with those two, where Kelsier feels pain and Hoid says something along the lines of "your body thinks it should feel pain, so it does" if I recall correctly. (I wish I had AU with me, I'd try to find it). Probably just a misunderstanding on my part.

Easy to misunderstand, cause that part is a little confusing. 

He says "Apparently you already being dead means I can hurt you." which is what surprised him (I think anyways).

But after that, he does explain that the pain from the simple beating was caused by Kelsier's mind and not real. Hoid follows that up with "I don't have the inclination to actually injure your soul", so it can be done, even to a CR, just takes a different approach, whatever that is.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, Invocation said:

The Tranquiline Halls is Ashyn, another planet in the Rosharan system. Vax is something different.

Plus, Ati is not from Roshar, as there were no humans on Roshar until after the decimation of Ashyn (which gave rise to the myth of the Halls), by which time he was probably already trapped by Leras on Scadrial.

I know this answer is upvoted because it's correct about T.H.=Ashyn, but there were humans on Roshar before even the shattering.

Brandon Sanderson

That is correct.  So before the breaking there was magic in existence.  For instance, the spren on Roshar, some of them predate the breaking-- the Shattering.

Questioner

So, if spren are caused by thoughts, and the Shards caused some of the humans, and humans cause thoughts, then there were people alive before

Brandon Sanderson

Then there were people on Roshar before the breaking of Adonalsium.

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

There's audio on Arcanum. 

39 minutes ago, Elwynn said:

I know this answer is upvoted because it's correct about T.H.=Ashyn, but there were humans on Roshar before even the shattering.

There's audio on Arcanum. 

Brandon uses the term "people" to refer to any sapient species. 

The singers were present as they are native to Roshar. 

There were no humans on Roshar prior to Ashyn. That doesn't make his statement in the WoB untrue. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Brandon uses the term "people" to refer to any sapient species. 

The singers were present as they are native to Roshar. 

There were no humans on Roshar prior to Ashyn. That doesn't make his statement in the WoB untrue. 

The questioner is obviously using the two interchangeably, and BS is following the questioner's train of thought. Listening to the audio makes this apparent.

Edited by Elwynn

18 minutes ago, Elwynn said:

The questioner is obviously using the two interchangeably, and BS is following the questioner's train of thought. Listening to the audio makes this apparent.

You're underestimating Brandon. He's got the Aes Sedai answer nailed down. His use of "people" instead of "humans" is significant.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is the Dawnchant native to Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...Yeah. Dawnchant is what they were speaking when humans came over. It is their language. It is the Dawnsingers' language. So yeah, that is native to Roshar.

Oathbringer Houston signing (Nov. 18, 2017)