Your favourite section/passage in the Stormlight books

Magpro

Tell me of your favourite section/passage in the Stormlight series. The one that you overflowed with emotion, joy, sorrow anything.

Mine is when Kaladin meets his parents in Oathbringer and especially when he tells the people of Heartstone about the void bringer. He rose in the air 2 feet and told them he was a radiant. 

I almost cried with joy when i read that. I can re-read that chapter over and over again.

Oh. I would have to reread in order to find all the scenes that felt great. If I just think of it quickly, some scenes come to my mind. Especially WoK had great moments: Bridge 4/Kaladin deciding to help the Kholin army, members of bridge 4 waiting for Kaladin to get back after he fell into the chasms, Navani painting the huge justice glyph. I also cried at Elhokar's dying scene in OB and I triumphed with Timbre when the following happened :D:

Timbre pulsed to Resolve. “You’ve done what?” Venli hissed, stopping on the deck. Resolve again. “But how can you…” She trailed off, then hunched over, speaking more softly. “How can you keep a Voidspren captive?” Timbre pulsed to Victory within her. (OB, ch. 120, highlights added)

Somehow, I can't come up with any particular scenes from WoR. Curious :blink:.

Edit: @SLNC helped my memory, the chasm scene is actually from WoR!

Edited by equinox

WOR Duel was great. When kaladin jumped into the areana. i was thinking the other side is going to get their arse kicked now.

I also wished Elohkar had gone a bit further. but had he said the first ideal, he would have been near un-killable

Alright, buckle up, this is gonna be long.

WoK:
- Kaladin at the Honor Chasm and afterwards giving Gaz nightmares
- Kaladin getting lost in the spear kata while B4 watch
- The Highstorm and Teft's reaction when the unconscious Kaladin takes in Stormlight
- Dalinar digging the latrine trench with his Shardblade
- Wit at the parties
- Everything involving the battle at The Tower, especially Kaladin ordering Adolin and Dalinar around
- Dalinar giving up his Shardblade, Kaladin's reaction and their conversation later on
- Jasnah kiling the robbers Kharbranth and telling Shallan what she thinks of victim blaming

WoR:
- Kaladin and horses
- Szeth's attack
- Renarin joins B4
- Kaladin training his abilities
- "I am offend!" and "Boots!"
- Kaladin's first "flight" over the Plains
- Adolin shat in his Shartplate
- The duel
- Adolin and Kaladin after Kal is released from prison
- Kaladin and Shallan in the Chasms
- Everyone's reaction when they come back
- Kaladin's Magical Girl Transformation when he says the Third Ideal
- "You are what I was looking for." - "Yes. Finally."
- Kaladin and Szeth fighting in the storms
- Kaladin smiling!
- Lopen's mom hiding Elhokar
- Dalinar bonding the Stormfather
- Adolin killing Sadeas. It kinda is a highlight
- Lift's interlude

OB:
- Kaladin meeting his parents
- Syl and sex ed.
- B4 POVs
- "No mating!"
- Kaladin befriending the lighteyed soldiers
- Azure
- Jasnah POV!!!
- Adolin and his yellow suit
- Shallan trying to attract shamespren
- Shallan Lightweaving disguises for the crew (poor Kal!)
- Maya attacking the Fused
- the entire climax of OB: Renarin getting his first POVs and charging the thunderclast, Jasnah being Jasnah, Dalinar's near-ascension, B4 saving the day (and Kaladin), Lift and Szeth (who knew they'd make such a great team?)
- Lopen casually swearing the Second Ideal
- Drehy and Skar saving Gavinor
- Wit bonding the cryptic

... That all? Can't be ... I sure missed a lot ...

Favourite big episodes: The Chasms 1000 times, The Tower, 4v2 Duel, Kaladin's homecoming, Kaladin's 3rd Ideal and saving of Dalinar, Kholinar failure.

@Winds Alight pretty much named almost everything, I will add some too:

• Kaladin's dialogue with soldier trying to get B4 water. "I don't want to wait" "How unfortunate".
  • Shallan's description of Kaladin after the Chasms. Kaladin's wish to tell her he never believed she was a Horneater.
  • Kaladin and Azure dialogue at the Wall Guard.
  • Jasnah's dialogue with Kaladin.
  • Elhokar in OB. All of him.
  • Renarin and Jasnah.
  • Navani and how she dealt with the political meeting as a fabrial.
  • Also Navani after Dalinar's memories returned and her support of him. This is love, I understand.
  • Skar teaching Lyn to draw in Stormlight.

The "You cannot have my pain." scene is a big one.

Also, everything to do with Adolin and Maya of course.

Lift, Szeth and Nightblood. I want to see more of these three because their dynamic is just hilarious.

Rlain's PoV, I just really liked seeing his thoughts and hope he gets more screentime.

The Duel.

Kaladin's third deal and the  fight between Szeth and Kaladin. The entire sequence would be amazing in a movie/TV show.

Adolin stabbing Sadeas. I've rarely been so satisfied by a death scene.

Kaladin taking charge of a good portion of Dalinar's army through sheer charisma in WoK.

Also, pretty much everytime Hoid appears on screen, especially his interactions with Shallan in OB.

Ohhhhh, gosh, I have so many.

“I warned you not to trust him!” Adolin bellowed as he fought, cutting down a pair of Parshendi, then taking a wave of arrows from a team of archers who had set up nearby. The arrows sprayed against Adolin’s armor, scratching the paint. One caught in a crack, widening it.

“I told you,” Adolin continued to yell, lowering his arm from his face and slicing into the next pair of Parshendi just before they landed their hammers on him. “I said he was an eel!”

“I know!” Dalinar yelled back.

“We walked right into this,” Adolin continued, shouting as if he hadn’t heard Dalinar. “We let him take away our bridges. We let him get us onto the plateau before the second wave of Parshendi arrived. We let him control the scouts. We even suggested the attack pattern that would leave us surrounded if he didn’t support us!”

“I know.”

WoK, chapter 66 - where I knew I loved Adolin and Dalinar's relationship and that they were going to be okay and also I burst out laughing that (1) they were having this conversation (2) in the middle of a battle

An explosive burst of wind drove him against the wall, and he stumbled, then stepped backward, driven by instincts he couldn’t define. A large boulder slammed into the wall, then bounced away. Dalinar glanced and saw something luminous in the distance: a gargantuan figure that moved on spindly glowing legs.

Dalinar stepped back up to the feast hall, gave the whatever-it-was a rude gesture, then pushed open the door—

OB, chapter 19 - I laughed out loud, VERY loud - this one stuck in my mind as one of my favourite Dalinar moments ever

At the same time . . . they were mocking Adolin Kholin, who had a shot at the title of best swordsman in all of Alethkar. Yes, his suit was a little bright—but if they would merely spend five minutes talking to him, they’d see he wasn’t so bad.

OB, chapter 73 - Kaladin thinking about Adolin :') they've come so far. basically any time Kaladin and Adolin think about each other in OB, I'm very :')))

“He’s trying to convince me I should trust him,” Yanagawn said, pointing at Dalinar.

“Don’t,” she said. “He’s got too nice a butt.”

Dalinar cleared his throat. “What?”

“Your butt is too nice. Old guys shouldn’t have tight butts. It means you spend waaay too much time swinging a sword or punching people. You should have an old flabby butt. Then I’d trust you.”

“She . . . has a thing about butts,” Yanagawn said.

OB, chapter 42 - I'm twelve years old and this is hilarious

I tried looking for some Syl banter because she has some of my favourite dialogue in the books, but I'm still searching for something I can point to as, aha!, you know.

One of my favorite scenes is when Dalinar, fresh from the treachery at the Tower, beats the holy hell outta Elkohar and then gives him the riot act. 

Elkohar: So you aren't gonna kill me?

Dalinar: Gods no! I love you like a son. You're going to make me Highprince of War and oh, by the way, I'm courting your mom.

This is not an easy task! It's very hard to pick favourites, but I guess some bits resonate stronger when they get personal. And what feels personal is completely subjective.

I like the strong emotions, not necessarily good emotions. So let me see what I can remember (not in any particular order) :

Kaladin's at the edge of the chasms and despair, Stormfather's appearances in the highstorm, the Tower, Shallan killing Lin,  Shallan waking up after Wind's Pleasure sunk, Elhokar dying, Evi and Rathalas burning, Dalinar becoming Unity and the Girl who Stood Up.

Edit: Also Dalinar's angst for Navani xD

Edited by insert_anagram_here
added a bit

Oh, there's a ton of moments. If I were to pick my favourite-favourite...

• "You cannot have my pain", and the entire scene surrounding it.
  • Shallan apologizing for apologizing.
  • The Tower, all of it.
  • Lift and Nale's hug and the conversation that follows at the end of Edgedancer.
  • "Dalinar knelt beneath a fracturing sky, holding his son."
  • Szeth's and Kal's battle at the end of WoR.
  • Hm... there's a passage, I think early in OB, where Kaladin thinks about his depression and how on bad days, it's hard to remember there are good days. I can't remember it right now, but I remember really loving it when I read it.

• Chaos locked this topic