Is ADONALSIUM a metal?

Luinedhel

So, I've been thinking about this since I knew about Lerasium and Atium. You can see the resemblance. But I didn't give it much real thought, until I found out there's WoB saying that Sharblades are also God metal:

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

I also got confirmed that the metal that spren turn into is god metal.

Footnote: Unspecified question by yulerule.
Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

And that that metal is being called (informally as of yet) Tanavastium. Moreover, there's confirmation that there's now Harmonium on Scadrial:

youshallnotpass

Will there be a metal called harmonium in the mistborn world?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. But good question.

WeiryWriter

Just an fyi but you have confirmed the existence of harmonium before. (And this is probably a RAFO, but is there a reason you didn't follow the convention of the other "god metals" and call it something like sazedium? "Harmonium" just seems out of place.)

Brandon Sanderson

Sazed didn't like the sound of Sazedium.

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 6, 2015)

Which also lets us know that there is a conscious decision from the shards in the naming of the God metals. But the part that actually got me thinking was this WoB:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Did Adonalsium have a god metal?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

RAFO.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

I always visualized the Shattering of Adonalsium as the breaking of something solid. I don't know why. But this makes me think I'm not that far from something important.

Edited by Luinedhel

Whatever Adonalsium was, he was enough of a person to be Killed, which caused and/or was part of the Shattering.  So Adonalsium was both Living and Male. That being said, a lot of the Cosmere is based on Brandon's earlier story called "Dragonsteel", so being a living being and metal may not be incompatible. 

imriel452 (Paraphrased)

I asked for "Info on why Adonalsium shattered".

Brandon Sanderson

Adonalsium Shattered because he was killed.

General Signed Books 2016 (Feb. 1, 2016)

I know he was a conscious entity. Maybe I should have expressed it differently: Is there an Adonalsium metal, much like there are other God metals named likewise? I'm thinking of the implications of that. For instance, a weapon made of that metal used to shatter a god, which could be what Rayse is using to splinter Shards. Or it may be what the Dawnshards are made of.

2 minutes ago, John203 said:

Or maybe, @Luinedhel, Dragonsteel is adonalsium's god metal:ph34r:.

I've always liked that theory, because, at the moment, Dragonsteel just kind of exists. Given metal's significance in the Cosmere, I wouldn't at all be surprised to find that Dragonsteel is Adonalsiumium (Try saying that 5 times fast). Of course the fact that I wouldn't be surprised by it being one and the same, means that Brandon probably knows that we wouldn't be surprised and it's a red herring....

In Arcanum unbounded, can't remember exactly where, the writer says that they don't know if Adonalsium is an object or a being, but they believe that it is a being. This doesn't explain anything and it could support either side of the debate. Personally, I feel like Adonalsium is a being.

16 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

In Arcanum unbounded, can't remember exactly where, the writer says that they don't know if Adonalsium is an object or a being, but they believe that it is a being. This doesn't explain anything and it could support either side of the debate. Personally, I feel like Adonalsium is a being.

Those are not exclusive possibilities. 

Those are not exclusive, indeed. I reckon Adonalsium is different from the shards that composed it/him only in quantity, not quality. I mean, I think it was a supershard 16 times more powerful than the ones we know, but with a vessel controlling it. I don't think it was the absolute force of the Cosmere, otherwise it couldn't have been shattered by only 16 regular people. Thus, I think there is a diference between the raw power of Adonalsium, and the guy driving it. The "guy" doesn't have to be human, though, as, for instance, Syl is a literal piece of a shard with sentience, but which also could turn into metal. Besides, Brandon RAFOing the related question makes me think that will have some importance. Maybe it actually is related to Dragonsteel, all jokes aside.

Edited by Luinedhel

11 hours ago, Luinedhel said:

I don't think it was the absolute force of the Cosmere, otherwise it couldn't have been shattered by only 16 regular people.

That assumes Adonalsium didn't plan the entire thing, no matter what the 16 thought. The Irali story about The One, suggests it was intended. 

Of course, it is also possible that is a afterwards justification, but I don't think so. 

• Chaos locked this topic