The Identity of the Man Kaladin Killed

Cheese Ninja

175 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion of the theory.

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Withholding Judgement, needs more details (regrettably unavailable)

Well, unless Amaram is a dueler, it would be unlikely that Shallan would ever see Amaram's blade except in the event of some emergency situation.  As to the plate, I think it unlikely for Amaram to leave it in its previous appearance given the Alethi penchant for personalizing and adorning their plate.  As to Amaram and Kaladin and Amaram and Shallan, Amamram would have to be very careful about how he proceeded in both cases.  He would not be able to safely play Shallan against Kaladin since the premise fo Amaram having the plate and blade is that Amaram killed the shardbearer.  Amaram's possession of the plate and blade and the fact that Kaladin is still alive would belie any insinuation against Kaladin to Shallan regarding Helaran.

Well, unless Amaram is a dueler, it would be unlikely that Shallan would ever see Amaram's blade except in the event of some emergency situation.  As to the plate, I think it unlikely for Amaram to leave it in its previous appearance given the Alethi penchant for personalizing and adorning their plate.  As to Amaram and Kaladin and Amaram and Shallan, Amamram would have to be very careful about how he proceeded in both cases.  He would not be able to safely play Shallan against Kaladin since the premise fo Amaram having the plate and blade is that Amaram killed the shardbearer.  Amaram's possession of the plate and blade and the fact that Kaladin is still alive would belie any insinuation against Kaladin to Shallan regarding Helaran.

N.E.E.D. T.O. R.E.A.D. T.H.E.S.E. S.C.E.N.E.S. N.O.W...

Lol. I find it amusing that we somehow completely missed the point that Kaladin was supposed to have run away while Amaram was the one who was supposed to have killed Nan Heleran the enemy Shardbearer.

Edited by Ookla the Omniscient

• 4 weeks later...

Loved this topic and theory.

Seems to fit nicely, but the problem is that we don't have enough info, it's like we're trying to conect 2 dots with a line, but we don't know if the line is straight, or if there are any points in between that curves the line...

A little off-topic now, does anyone knows why does the shardplates need to be fueled with gems, but the swords don't need it?

It almost seems like the plates could be linked to the person the same with the blades, and when they disapear, they go somewhere where they are recharged, but since people don't know/remmember how to bond with the plates, then they need the gems to fuel it, and maybe that's why the radiant's could summon their plates(the guy that summoned his helmet) as well as the blade.

Does it say in the book that the man in the plate was a Ghostblood? I'm asuming it does. but I can't remember. 

Regardless really, I really like this theory, but i'm really not sure.

From what we know about Shallans older brother is one yes he was involved more in their fathers "planning" but that he stood up to his father and faught him on things.

That doesn't sound like he is someone that liked what his father was doing. 

This really can go one of two ways. Her brother was a Ghostblood and brought in Lushe(sp)..(Gosh sorry I don't have my book, and these names..) The confermerd Ghostblood servent that knew about and how to use the soul caster. Therefore, Shallans Oldest brother was Pushing the Father to be involved and take the deals and do as the Ghostbloods asked. 

Or

Her father was the Ghostblood and Her older brother didn't agree with what he was doing. And tried ot fight against him. Eventually either being taken and killed/bannished by the Ghostbloods, or Ranaway to except the previous. 

Thats where my mind goes. But who knows, maybe there were just two people with similar goals and the brother stood up to the father in how they should go about it... wouldn't be the first dysfunctional political partnership. 

A little off-topic now, does anyone knows why does the shardplates need to be fueled with gems, but the swords don't need it?

Nope, several ideas tossed around.  But there is not nearly enough data.

Does it say in the book that the man in the plate was a Ghostblood? I'm asuming it does. but I can't remember. 

It does not say expressly that he was.  But, in the Kaladin/Amaram scene, Amaram associates the shardbearer with the Ghostbloods.  Presumably they had a good reason for doing so. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOR SPOILERS!!! Ok people, it was specifically said that it was Helaran. Remember where Shallan sees Amaran' s shardblade, and instantly recognizes it as her eldests' brothers blade? Well Kaladin never realized that it was Shallan' s brother because Shallan never really brings it up.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please do not doublepost, use the edit feature

Kaladin does believe he killed Helaran; when Shallan tells him about it, he realizes the connection, but also that Shallan still thinks Amaram was the one who did the killing blow. Shallan does not currently (apparently) know that Kaladin actually killed him.

I really wanted to lock this poll after WoR came out, but I couldn't find a way to do that.  Not that I think people would be so shameless as to change their vote or to vote after something has already been confirmed...

And although WoR stated it was Helaran, we have a new host of questions in relation to him.

Basically, who was he working for and why?

It's apparent that I was wrong about the Shards being loaned to Helaran temporarily, he'd had them for some time.  And Mraize says that he "sought the Skybreakers" but doesn't say if he found them or even whether he was allied with the Ghostbloods, as Amaram assumed.  Shallan's father's lines about "his new friends" pushes it a bit towards being the Skybreakers, but they might have similar goals to the Ghostbloods in any case.

And what would they have actually accomplished by killing Amaram?  One less person in authority who wanted to bring back the Heralds, Knights Radiants, and Desolations?  That might have been worth it.

I'm trying to remember when Shallan ever saw her brother's Shardblade - was it in one of the flashbacks in WoR? She must have seen it, or how would she recognize it in Amaram's hands?

Also, can't find this on any other thread, so I'll ask it here: Do we know why they are called the "Ghostbloods"? Within the books (i.e., not from any WOBs), I don't think we've been told what the 3-diamond symbol means, either, have we?

So many conspiracies!

• Chaos locked this topic