Hemalurgic Resonances

Invocation

Question

6 answers to this question

I always figured that you'd still get a resonance just like normal, but apparently that's not the case.  I would guess that the "warping" of your spiritweb caused by the spike interferes with the resonance.  

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

As far as Hemalurgy, when you it's done to somebody, would that create a new Resonance?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

It's possible that it could. Though I'm gonna say, most of the time, no. Lots of things are possible, but I'll give you a "mostly no" on that one.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

What about savantism? Is that possible with Hemalurgy?

Yes, it is.

source

The issue is that resonances develop. 

yulerule [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay, so Twinborn have [Resonances], but full Mistborn don't, right?

Yes.

So then, um, I assume that a nonmagical person, like someone who doesn't have magic, holding the Bands of Mourning will [not] have no perks.

I would say they would not.

Will a Twinborn that's holding the Bands of Mourning still have their original perk?

Yes.

Or, if a Ferring is holding the Bands, and they use just one ability, will they develop a perk, tied to the second ability they are using?

The longer they use it, the more likely that this is to happen.

Using Investiture a lot over a long period changes your Spiritweb. So what happens if a nonmagical uses the Bands for a while?

Same thing that would happen to someone else, um, it would have a definite effect on them.

*laughter*

It would change them, as... in similar ways. Not exactly the same, but in similar ways.

source

But the source of a power is irrelevant as to the gaining of a resonance. 

Ray745

You have stated that each Knights Radiant order gets their own unique ability, for lack of a better word, due to the combination of their surges. For instance, you have stated this ability for the Windrunners is strength of squires. My question - is this due to the Nahel bond, or just inherent in the surges combining. Would a non-Radiant get these abilities from the Honorblades, or would they be out of luck due to no Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! The unique abilities have more to do with the powers interacting, same as how twinborn will often manifest some odd side effects of the powers interacting. But there are limitations. For example, Jezrien didn't actually have any squires, as none of the Heralds did.

source

So hemalurgy wouldn't automatically grant a resonance just by taking the powers, but over time, use of those powers would produce it. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

The issue is that resonances develop. 

But the source of a power is irrelevant as to the gaining of a resonance. 

So hemalurgy wouldn't automatically grant a resonance just by taking the powers, but over time, use of those powers would produce it.

Sounds a lot like Savantism, Im curious to what extent the mechanism are similar or different (aside from the fact that Resonance is the interaction of two powers, specifically, rather than just the overuse of one). 

For that matter, by that WOB it sounds like Resonances will develop between Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities, but specifically not between the various Allomancy abilities, even with a full Mistborn.  That might imply that Resonances will only form when the Investiture of two different shards is involved, as is the case with Feruchemy and the Surges, but not Allomancy. 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

For that matter, by that WOB it sounds like Resonances will develop between Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities, but specifically not between the various Allomancy abilities, even with a full Mistborn.  That might imply that Resonances will only form when the Investiture of two different shards is involved, as is the case with Feruchemy and the Surges, but not Allomancy. 

Considering the reason Mistborn are stated to not have a resonance is "too many powers" I don't believe that's the case. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Considering the reason Mistborn are stated to not have a resonance is "too many powers" I don't believe that's the case. 

Curiouser and Curiouser.  Flip it then, if you only had only two Allomantic powers (via medallions or Spikes) would eventually developing Resonances be possible?

24 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Curiouser and Curiouser.  Flip it then, if you only had only two Allomantic powers (via medallions or Spikes) would eventually developing Resonances be possible?

I think you would, it's just that we've never seen a natural combination like that so we don't have data to draw on. Brandon was asked a question about people using the Bands of Mourning and Resonances and said that a ferring who only uses one power from the Bands could develop a Resonance between their original power and whatever they were using. He didn't specify it had to be an allomantic power so I think you could get a double-feruchemy Resonance or by extension a double-allomancy one under the right circumstances.