The Sibling

Gancho Libre

I've thought that the sibling is Urithiru but theres no concrete proof that says it is, and I'm starting to think more that the sibling powered  Urithiru  and Stormfather at one point mentions that humans had done enough to the sibling, and so I thought that when the sibling was damaged Urithiru stopped working, not completely but partially, 

"The wilting of plants and the general cooling of the air is disagreeable, yes, but some of the tower's functions remain in place. The increased pressure, for example, persists."

OB ch 69 epigraph

so maybe the sibling powered Urithiru, like it filled the gemstone pillar and made all of the tower's fabrials and whatever else it did work, and it got injured and went into a comatose state. The gemstone library supports this I think

"Good night, dear Urithiru. Good night, sweet Sibling. Good night, Radiants."

OB ch 87 epigraph

so they're saying goodbye to Urithiru and the sibling at the same time, as if by leaving Urithiru they're leaving the sibling, so I think that the sibling is in the gemstone pillar or somewhere in urithiru sleeping

There's also This Epigraph that indicates they believed there was some connection, or at least correlation, between research of the tower Spren (of Uritiru) and the Sibling's "Withdrawl".

"My research into the cognitive reflections of the spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent- but I find counter to that theory."

source

• 2 months later...

What if the Sibling is the Purelake? It's supposed to be central to Urithiru, and I feel that a sentient mass of Invested water that is always warm and is able to move under its own pressure would be pretty handy in a high altitude city with no natural water source. If the Stormfather can just be wind, can the Sibling just be water?

30 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

What if the Sibling is the Purelake? It's supposed to be central to Urithiru, and I feel that a sentient mass of Invested water that is always warm and is able to move under its own pressure would be pretty handy in a high altitude city with no natural water source. If the Stormfather can just be wind, can the Sibling just be water?

? The Purelake isn't central to Urithiru. The Purelake is north, and possibly a bit west of Urithiru. Urithiru is in a mountain range.

12 minutes ago, RShara said:

? The Purelake isn't central to Urithiru. The Purelake is north, and possibly a bit west of Urithiru. Urithiru is in a mountain range.

The Sibling is supposed to be central, as in important. Sorry, I see how the wording might have been confusing.

Though on this same train of thought, Urithiru is between the Valley and the Purelake. Maybe the Bondsmith spren like to hang around that region.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

5 minutes ago, RShara said:

Oh I see. But how would it get Purelake water all the way up to Urithiru? And without killing the native Purelake life?

It doesn't seem to have any issues moving given that it "hides" from the Highstorms. I imagine it could move through the water table or through underground passages. As for native life, the Stormfather doesn't hold back his storms when innocents are in their path, and the Nightwatcher can be downright cruel, so I imagine the Sibling would take a similar "force of nature" perspective on the matter. The region may also flood with non Invested water once the Sibling left (assuming that the lake is the Sibling).

The change in water level could certainly be natural, I just felt that in combination with the unusual warmth and the Invested fish, that the Purelake seemed a little similar to the Stormfather. It would also fix one of the major problems that they face in Urithiru, no water.

Also, to be clear I am in no way putting this forward as a "this is definitely what's happening" idea. I'm just floating it to see what other people think (and if anyone else can make connections that I missed).

52 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

Yeah,I figured it was due to pressure changes, and I also figured the Sibling lives or at least lived in the pillar of gemstones in Urithiru since they seem to have been acting as a power source for the city.

Here's a thought: the Sibling can inhabit things and is currently residing the Purelake, having vacated the pillar of gemstones.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I feel like the water draining into underground reservoirs could be accounted for by pressure changes. Adonalsium designed the place, after all.

Adonalsium say whaa? Everything I've read about Urithiru has been RAFO'ed in regards to construction and origin, so I'm assuming I missed one lol. 

2 minutes ago, Kered said:

Adonalsium say whaa? Everything I've read about Urithiru has been RAFO'ed in regards to construction and origin, so I'm assuming I missed one lol. 

I meant, Adonalsium designed Roshar, which the Purelake is part of.

12 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Here's a thought: the Sibling can inhabit things and is currently residing the Purelake, having vacated the pillar of gemstones.

I think they are probably still in the pillar actually just dormant, as there is still some magic life support functions operational (the air pressure).

1 minute ago, CrazyRioter said:

I think they are probably still in the pillar actually just dormant, as there is still some magic life support functions operational (the air pressure).

Maybe in the gem system somewhere, but probably not the pillar itself, given that Re-shepir could inhabit it.

Just now, CrazyRioter said:

Fair point. Still in the city though most likely.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Still, there's no discounting the possibility that the Sibling can split itself and in some way, shape, or form represents the bonds between the Radiant Orders, with part of itself being Cusicesh, part in the Purelake, and a very small sliver of itself in hiding in the gem-pipes.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Maybe in the gem system somewhere, but probably not the pillar itself, given that Re-shepir could inhabit it.

Um, haha, in danger of sounding complete cuckoo here, what if the Sibling can inhabit water and Re-shepir can inhabit oil? And Re-shepir is actually in Urithiru in order to not let water in? (oil and water don't mix)

Edited by insert_anagram_here

13 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Um, haha, in danger of sounding complete cuckoo here, what if the Sibling can inhabit water and Re-shepir can inhabit oil? And Re-shepir is actually in Urithiru in order to not let water in? (oil and water don't mix)

...That's not a half-bad theory, actually. Be kind of interesting as a plot device.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

If it is not in the gemstone that what is causing the increased pressure in Urithiru?

I stand by what I said about some portion of the Sibling being somewhere in the "veins" so to speak of Urithiru, but not the pillar of gemstones. I don't think two spren (especially spren of that power level) could share the pillar like that, and we know Re-Shepir's influence was spread through the majority of the tower that we've seen, from her mimicry and Shallan feeling the wrongness that was Re-Shepir. It is possible that a sliver of the Sibling is holed up in a different portion of the tower's gem network and is making the pressure, or it could just be something else for shenanigan reasons.

Edited by Invocation