The Sibling

Gancho Libre

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

...That's not a half-bad theory, actually. Be kind of interesting as a plot device.

Glad you like it!  ( check my signature links, they actually kind of connect, sort of)

What I would add/alter to those links would be that maybe Cusiech is somehow 'pulling' water on the other side of Roshar, everyday at midday, trying to balance out the three moons' gravitational pull. In the meantime, water is somehow being funneled through Urithiru (something like how Purelake drains in times of Highstorm) which would normally charge up the gemstone pillars. But with the Midnight's Mother presence there, clogging up the underground waterways, Urithiru stays inoperational.

16 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I think they are probably still in the pillar actually just dormant, as there is still some magic life support functions operational (the air pressure).

They might have made clever use of the stack effect to keep the pressure normal in Urithiru. I'm not an engineer so I don't know how feasible that is.

26 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

They might have made clever use of the stack effect to keep the pressure normal in Urithiru. I'm not an engineer so I don't know how feasible that is.

I have no idea what the stack effect, but it seems just like the kind of thing Brandon would do.

3 hours ago, Invocation said:

I have no idea what the stack effect, but it seems just like the kind of thing Brandon would do.

Its something that happens in large buildings or chimneys. The difference in pressure outside and inside can cause pressure and air flow. If you've ever been in a big building and had a door stick because of air flow, that's whats causing it.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

8 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

The epigraphs imply that the increased pressure was something the Sibling did,

It could certainly be interpreted to mean that the Sibling was causing those things, but it doesn't explicitly say it. Navani does point out to Dalinar that there are veins of emerald and ruby running through the walls of the city. The ruby could easily be a heat fabrial, and I assume the emerald is related to the plants. The lifts also still operate, so something must be behind that as well.

Narrative, the pressure had to persist, without it everyone in the city would die of hypoxia in a few days.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

36 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

It could certainly be interpreted to mean that the Sibling was causing those things, but it doesn't explicitly say it. Navani does point out to Dalinar that there are veins of emerald and ruby running through the walls of the city. The ruby could easily be a heat fabrial, and I assume the emerald is related to the plants. The lifts also still operate, so something must be behind that as well.

Narrative, the pressure had to persist, without it everyone in the city would die of hypoxia in a few days.

I mean yes, the pressure had to persist for narrative reasons, but the question is what is the in-story reason?

12 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

The epigraphs imply that the increased pressure was something the Sibling did,

It'd be really easy for them to think that it was the Sibling doing it when it was just something that happened because of Urithiru's shape and they had just been chalking it up to the Sibling because of the rest of the effects.

The real question I have about the Sibling is why the Sibling went into hibernation in the first place.  Presumably it was the death of their Radiant, but shouldn't that have happened numerous times over the course of millenia, simply from old age?  Not only that, the Sibling has been sleeping for over two thousand years.  The Stormfather knows the Sibling's state, so it stands to reason the Stormfather might have tried to rouse the Sibling, as he did Sylphrena, but to no avail.

So why is the Sibling still asleep?  The Elsecaller epigraph strongly suggests an external influence causing this comatose state, but given that it's become unclear if all nine Unmade were captured in that era, it's hard to say if the Unmade are the reason why, or something else entirely.

5 minutes ago, dvoraen said:

The real question I have about the Sibling is why the Sibling went into hibernation in the first place.  Presumably it was the death of their Radiant, but shouldn't that have happened numerous times over the course of millenia, simply from old age?  Not only that, the Sibling has been sleeping for over two thousand years.  The Stormfather knows the Sibling's state, so it stands to reason the Stormfather might have tried to rouse the Sibling, as he did Sylphrena, but to no avail.

So why is the Sibling still asleep?  The Elsecaller epigraph strongly suggests an external influence causing this comatose state, but given that it's become unclear if all nine Unmade were captured in that era, it's hard to say if the Unmade are the reason why, or something else entirely.

It's unlikely to have been due to the death of a bondmate, as Syl only had such a hard time because she was very young at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another thought that I wanted to add after rereading Dalinar meeting the Nightwatcher. Her physical manifestation is in the form of mist. Taken along with the fact that the Stormfather manifests as stormclouds, it would make sense for the Sibling to manifest as some form of water.

On 2/22/2019 at 0:22 PM, dvoraen said:

As Rioter said, that's not a common thing among spren. Syl was simply very young. The reason hypothesized in the gem notes/gem archive/gem diary or whatever you want to call it is that the divisions between the Orders affected the Sibling. I have no idea how true that is, because we haven't had anything to do with the Sibling on-screen yet, but it seems likely to be at least somewhat accurate.

I recently read a different thread that claimed that the sibling was in fact the one unmade the had escaped being unmade by Odium and that the unmade were in fact spren left by Adonalsium.  With Urithiru designed to protect it from Odium so that their would not be 10 unmade.  https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/83206-the-unmade-the-sibling-and-pre-shard-spren/#comment-829672

• Chaos locked this topic