WoK Interior Art Posted

Chaos

That is almost the exact explanation given to me when I learned about discrepancies in the Bible. I'm not expecting a serious discussion on that.

Back on topic - I knew you were going to do some sketches for a book Ben, I didn't realize it was this one. The sketches from Shallan caught my eye the most during my reading - beautiful work!

What can I say, I really like the material.

Brandon consistently writes things that make me want to draw. :D

You two definitely work very well together, it's very clear that the narrative and pictures in WoK matched well, which sadly is often not the case when illustration is included in a book. Made it really awesome just to appreciate the pictures, to be honest. :)

I found the map of Shadesmar very interesting, that wasn't in the paperback version (they didn't have the hardback in my local bookstore, and Waterstones, the bookstore I used to always go to, has closed down their branches in Ireland). I'm going to be wondering now for a while the significance of Shadesmar having land where there is sea on Roshar, and vice versa.

I found the map of Shadesmar very interesting, that wasn't in the paperback version (they didn't have the hardback in my local bookstore, and Waterstones, the bookstore I used to always go to, has closed down their branches in Ireland). I'm going to be wondering now for a while the significance of Shadesmar having land where there is sea on Roshar, and vice versa.

The UK/World English edition is missing some of the illustrations in "hardback" (it's one of those soft hardbacks for that edition) as well, not to mention the awesome cover art. It doesn't contain a map of Shadesmar, or the magic system diagrams that I assume are printed inside the cover in the US edition.

edit: There's also no map of the Silver Age of Roshar. Not sure if that's in the US edition though.

Edited by Ari

You two definitely work very well together, it's very clear that the narrative and pictures in WoK matched well, which sadly is often not the case when illustration is included in a book. Made it really awesome just to appreciate the pictures, to be honest. :)

More credit to Brandon than to me... he has a solid idea of what illustrations should represent (thematically speaking) in his books, and my job is merely to translate what he describes. It also doesn't hurt that we appear to have similar tastes and appreciate the same influences (we're also about the same age), so when he describes something in text, we're usually coming from the same place when interpreting it.

Additionally (and this is just good advice for anyone who's into visual development and adaptation), I'm not the sort of artist who's particularly hung up having my own "vision" of his material... I'm here to adapt more than create. And really, there's plenty of space in the cracks and around the edges where I get to be creative, if anything Brandon takes the heavy load off my shoulders by devising solid core ideas, and then letting me gussie 'em up. I get as much (or more!) of a kick out of expanding upon his content as I do creating my own stuff. Maybe that's weird, I don't know, but it sure seems to work here.

I remember the first work I saw of yours was the Vin drawing. It seemed a little off my vision of her but breathtaking nonetheless. I'm even more excited about AoL now!

This is one reason why we don't do much (official) portraiture... neither Brandon nor I are interested in railroading the reader's vision of the characters so much. It's better to let each of us imagine the characters in our own ways, as it allows everyone to participate in the "vision" of the book, and each of our visions are equally valid.

Plus, I'm just not that great at portraits. My background is in comics and animation, and those fields tend to influence me stylistically. It's challenging enough for me to rope that in while illustrating chulls and axehounds, when I illustrate people it's even more so (especially given that Shallan appears to illustrate through eidetic memory as much as practiced technique, meaning her portraits should be nearly photorealistic).

A good example of someone with Shallan's skills might be Stephen Wiltshire, an autistic architectural illustrator who's famous for being able to draw buildings and skylines that he sees only once (sound familiar?). Whereas I'm just a monkey with a pad and a couple decades drawing experience.

:D

Edited by Inkthinker

My background is in comics and animation

That makes perfect sense. I remember thinking the drawing was a comic book version of my viewpoint. It also explains why I was so disconnected with Shallan's drawings being yours. If that was a challenge for you I can't tell. It looks so effortless.

That's particularly interesting when you consider that humans are the only mammals mentioned-all other animals are either crustacean or eel-like.

Perhaps the Shadesmar reflects how a planet looked in the very beginning?

For example, (MISTBORN SPOILER)

the Shadesmar for Scardial would look like the planet before Rashek rearranged it?

That's particularly interesting when you consider that humans are the only mammals mentioned-all other animals are either crustacean or eel-like.

Perhaps the Shadesmar reflects how a planet looked in the very beginning?

For example, (MISTBORN SPOILER)

the Shadesmar for Scardial would look like the planet before Rashek rearranged it?

Ooh, that's a good question -

Was Scardial's Shadesmar rearranged when the planet was?

Ooh, that's a good question -

Was Scardial's Shadesmar rearranged when the planet was?

If what I think is right, then the Shadesmar for a planet would remain constant.

Perhaps, Roshar's present day land was originally underwater and that is why most of the animal life is crustacean or piscine.

So

Scardial's Shadesmar would look like the planet when Preservation and Ruin found it!

This conversation acts as an explanation for why Scadrial's Shadesmar (I am correct in saying that it was Scadrial's Shadesmar?) is not such a desirable place to go

If a planet's layout and it's corresponding Shadesmar locale are related and if when Rashek ascended he didnt update the Shadesmar too (even possible?) or the mere act of shuffling Shadesmar around makes it difficult to traverse. Or even just having dissonant layouts might cause turbulence.

This conversation acts as an explanation for why Scadrial's Shadesmar (I am correct in saying that it was Scadrial's Shadesmar?) is not such a desirable place to go

If a planet's layout and it's corresponding Shadesmar locale are related and if when Rashek ascended he didnt update the Shadesmar too (even possible?) or the mere act of shuffling Shadesmar around makes it difficult to traverse. Or even just having dissonant layouts might cause turbulence.

Shadesmars'd be independent of Shards right-seeing as they're tied to the planets which in turn were discovered by Shards.

So perhaps a Shard's power doesn't work there.

Could we add this to the list of questions for Mr.Sanderson?

If what I think is right, then the Shadesmar for a planet would remain constant.

Perhaps, Roshar's present day land was originally underwater and that is why most of the animal life is crustacean or piscine.

I was wondering more along the lines of what else beside surface topology is inverted in Shadesmar compared to Roshar. In particular, I was thinking about the highstorms. This thread discusses the highstorms, and many have compared them to hurricanes. It was pointed out that the stormwall does not really act like the leading edge of a hurricane. Now, what I was wondering about, is whether the weather in Shadesmar is also inverted, and if the Highstorms are the reflection of the eye of a single world spanning storm passing overhead in Shadesmar?

Now, what I was wondering about, is whether the weather in Shadesmar is also inverted, and if the Highstorms are the reflection of the eye of a single world spanning storm passing overhead in Shadesmar?

That is an interesting idea, I wish I knew more about storm systems. Has anyone tried analyzing the Highstorms for similarities to the EYE of a hurricane? Using the assumption that everywhere the Highstorm is not, is actually the storm?

Edit: I also have a completely unrelated and off topic question. How do you get your quote to say in the heading where it came from? I just use the quote tags when I quote someone, and apparently there is a better way when quoting from a post that is on this website. What is it?

Edited by Thucydides

Edit: I also have a completely unrelated and off topic question. How do you get your quote to say in the heading where it came from? I just use the quote tags when I quote someone, and apparently there is a better way when quoting from a post that is on this website. What is it?

It does it automatically if you press the reply button on a particular post rather than the button at the bottom of the thread. Eg., when I clicked reply on your post the quote tag generated is

quote name='Thucydides' timestamp='1316198074' post='15232'

That is an interesting idea, I wish I knew more about storm systems. Has anyone tried analyzing the Highstorms for similarities to the EYE of a hurricane? Using the assumption that everywhere the Highstorm is not, is actually the storm?

oh... wow. That's actually quite clever. In some respects, the stormwall does resemble the eye of a hurricane, inverted (former Florida resident, me).

Hmm. Someone should ask him on Twitter. Or maybe Peter can tell us. Now I'm all curious about the marine life on Roshar... I wonder if there's a lot of whale/dolphin-type seafaring mammals out there?

Edited by Inkthinker

• Chaos locked this topic