Hoid did *not* alloy his lerasium with another god metal

PallonianFire

The Denver signing report isn't up yet on Arcanum, but my first question was pursuing my long-time theory about Hoid using the lerasium to rewrite his Spirit Web in ways other than only getting Allomancy. For the first time, though, Brandon seems to have shot it down: he said that while it's possible to alloy lerasium with another god metal and get access to other Invested Arts that way, Hoid has not done that—and that there were several things preventing him from doing so.

Bummer to lose my theory, but now I'm really curious about what might have prevented him.

Perhaps if we look at certain timelines of different books together, we could understand. What I mean is that it might help to understand what Hoid was doing right before and after he took the Lerasium. Is there a Hoid timeline somewhere? If there isn't, I think it would be immensely useful for many theories if there was one.

36 minutes ago, Jruesch2 said:

Perhaps if we look at certain timelines of different books together, we could understand. What I mean is that it might help to understand what Hoid was doing right before and after he took the Lerasium. Is there a Hoid timeline somewhere? If there isn't, I think it would be immensely useful for many theories if there was one.

Here's a great place to start, though he hasn't be able to update it recently

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJtJhHwpKdow01n2-bsT3scVvqJd6lZh4uvpNwcslv8/edit#gid=0

24 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I think what stopped him is that the one he'd want (to be an Elantrian) there's no godmetal for that he could easily get because of the specific issues on Sel and dealing with the Selish Shards.

I bet he'd be pretty happy to get his hands on Sand Mastery, too...

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJtJhHwpKdow01n2-bsT3scVvqJd6lZh4uvpNwcslv8/edit#gid=0

This is a fabulous document, though it leaves some holes to be filled in by yourself. You simply have to know Hoid well enough to know which dates correspond with him.

36 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

IIRC, we had a recent update from Brandon that Taldain was no longer blockaded.  

Really? Nice. Still, he already has used the Lerasium and he wouldn't have known that Taldain would be unblocked, so he wouldn't have had the idea to save it for that.

3 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Really? Nice. Still, he already has used the Lerasium and he wouldn't have known that Taldain would be unblocked, so he wouldn't have had the idea to save it for that.

I'm sure in the letters Autonomy confirms that Hoid has been trespassing. It doesn't prove or disprove anything either way though.

Im also not sure we have confirmation he has used the Lerasium.

Edited by Jeffo

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

For some reason I have a hard time imagining Hoid not knowing something... 

also he could have only used a portion of the bead instead of all of it. If he's used it at all.

Just now, Invocation said:

He has Allomancy by the time he's on Roshar. He uses bronze to sense tiny Shallan's Investiture.

Yeah he's done something to pick up at least some of the allomantic powers, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's used up all the lerasium though.

26 minutes ago, Invocation said:

He has Allomancy by the time he's on Roshar. He uses bronze to sense tiny Shallan's Investiture.

He does, but Brandon's continued refusal to confirm whether he's ingested the bead is suspicious as hell (and is a major part of why I had this theory in the first place). Even getting asked straight out whether he's ingested it, Brandon won't give a straight answer.

13 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

He does, but Brandon's continued refusal to confirm whether he's ingested the bead is suspicious as hell (and is a major part of why I had this theory in the first place). Even getting asked straight out whether he's ingested it, Brandon won't give a straight answer.

Fair enough.

My guess is that one thing that might have prevented Hoid from making a godmetal/lerasium alloy is simply no access to whatever godmetal he wanted. Figuring out how to use lerasium to gain any Selish magic is likely to be a difficult task since we don't currently know if there is a godmetal he could use, or how you'd tell it which version of Sel's magic you want, or deal with the Connection issue... or the distance one. Perhaps this is part of why Hoid wanted the Moon Sceptre?

We know he also wanted Rosharan Lightweaving but you need a living spren for that to work so even if he got a former Lightweaver's blade it probably wouldn't have worked. I wonder what that alloy would even do, come to think of it. Maybe let you inhale Stormlight for the passive effects without granting surgebinding?

3 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

For some reason I have a hard time imagining Hoid not knowing something...

As he says to Kaladin in WoR, he knows almost everything... which can be a real kick in the teeth at times.

On 16/11/2018 at 3:18 PM, RShara said:

Hey, maybe I'm missing something but I thought that the period between Dev+Dom beeing splintered and the story in Elantris was much shorter. The prologue ends with paradise ending ten years ago (maybe an error). 
Or maybe it's my mistake as I always thought that Elantris fell when Dev+Dom were splintered

58 minutes ago, Mah'alleinir said:

Hey, maybe I'm missing something but I thought that the period between Dev+Dom beeing splintered and the story in Elantris was much shorter. The prologue ends with paradise ending ten years ago (maybe an error). 
Or maybe it's my mistake as I always thought that Elantris fell when Dev+Dom were splintered

No, when Dev and Dom were splintered it fundamentally changed the way magic worked on Sel and created the Dor. It locked Magic’s to geography and the first elantrians were created. This lasted for a while, and then an earthquake disrupted the aon of the city, causing the events of elantris.

Nope, D&D were Splintered long long before the events of Elantris.

Questioner

So, in Elantris, the earthquake that [???], was that [caused? counterplayed?] by Shards, by some powers...?

Brandon Sanderson

I haven't really dug into that, but the number one thing people assume is that it was the shattering of Dominion and Devotion, which is not the case. They were broken much earlier. The Splintering [of them] happened much earlier.

source

• Chaos locked this topic