The Forge

Karnatheon

Consciousness slowly returned to Laonin. His body felt, tired. Like he had spent the day forging steel, but hadn't stopped for rest. With a flash he remembered the last thing he had done, stamping himself. He sat upright abruptly, and felt his head spin from the sudden exertion. Raising his hand to wipe his face, he opened his eyes.

There were bodies everywhere, burning wreckage, damaged buildings, and wounds evident on everyone near him. He looked at his own body and say his clothes were covered in blood, but didn't feel any wounds. He noticed Aeodin walking away from him, and assumed that was the reason. "Thank you, Aeodin." he said, somewhat weakly. Coughing due to the smoke, he reached into his bag to grab his flask, and his hand brushed against a stamp.

Seeing Ishek nearby, he called out. "What happened? I don't remember anything after I stamped myself yet. It's all kind of a blur, of pain, and excitement, and danger." Standing up, he surveyed the area, trying to get his bearings. 

Veil thanked Aeodin after he had healed him, than walked over to Ishek. "I need to ask you a favor." Veil said, "this battle may have ended, but the worst is to come for me. I ask you to bring me somewhere safe while I'm ... unable to help myself. I can explain afterwards, though this may take a few hours." With that Veil sat down on the ground, and closed his eyes. He ran the past how many had died through his head. This was going to hurt. He'd learned early on that he could supress his curse from the nightwatcher, never realizing the consequences until he had supressed it during a battle similiar to this one. Breathing in, Veil prepared himself, than released. There was a moment of blessed normalness. Than it all hit him at once. The pain was overwhelming. The pain of all those monks who had died. At least they had died, while he had to take the pain with no physical effect. Since shardblades were used, the feeling of his soul being cleaved in half was as painful as the physical pain. A huge suge hit him, and he screamed in pain, writhing on the ground in agony. This was the part where he stopped fighting it. His whole life was pain now, nothing else existed. He just hoped Ishek would do what he asked. 

@The Grumpy Elantrian 

Hope your ok with helping! 

Edited by ShardBreaker

As Laonin regained consciousness he shot upright, holding his head from the dizzy spell that followed. "You apparently, are an epic. We fought off the bonefists who took those people. You killed quite a few yourself."

Then, as Veil approached him, he asked Ishek an odd favour. Nonetheless he agreed, but was shocked to see Veil writhing and convulsing in agony. He positioned Veil on his side to prevent choking on his own saliva, then to Laonin he called "Laonin you stay to try and find those people, I have to get Veil out of here."

With that, Ishek tapped a bit of pewter and picked up the skybreaker with ease. He knew of nowhere else but the forge, so he head back and lay Veil onto one of the beds in the building next door. He brewed a pot of coffee and sat nearby the writhing figure, watching him until the fit passed. As he waited Ishek began to refill some of his metalminds, not a crippling amount, but enough to fight if someone tried to attack him now. He sat back, and waited. 

Edited by The Grumpy Elantrian
Mixed up a few names

Alask finally arrived at the Forge, debris of their fight crowding the usual path. When he finally arrived to the building he saw Laonin sitting up. Still a but hesitant to approach in case the essence mark of the electric guy hadn't worn off, he stayed a at a distance and waved. "Hey, boss," he said, then paused. Stop talking like a thief. "I mean: hey, sir."

He looked back at the shipping container, which seemed remarkably intact. "You sent me to get building supplies at a low cost, and I did! Behold a massive Alleyzon shipping container of stuff, free of cost. That should be able to give us enough materials for a long while."

Aeodin nodded when Veil thanked him, and was surprised when the man fell on the ground and began writhing.  He walked over to try and help, but Ishek beat him to it as he scooped up Veil and hurried down the street.  He turned back to Laonin and was surprised to find that he was sitting up and seemed lucid.  He shook his head.  Over three hundred years, and he still had not gotten used to the extreme power of Aons.  He had used that power to kill today.  The thought sobered him, and he regarded the dead bodies around him with distaste.  Aons had power to help, heal, accomplish labor-intensive tasks in seconds, but they were used most often to kill.  It was the same with shardblades, and well, pretty much any other form of investiture.  Why must we kill so often, he thought, why can't we all see that that helps no one?

Hearing Ishek's description of events troubled Laonin. "Yes, I, or he, was an Epic. I try not to think about the things Thundershriek has done, and instead try to focus on making up for them." Loanin barely noticed what was happening with Veil, because he was too lost in thought. By the time he could react, Ishek had carried him off. I hope he is alright, I trust Ishek to take care of him, whatever his ailment. 

Laonin walked over to the bikes they had ridden in on, and began looking for any clues as to where they had come from, or what they had done with the group of people. Unfortunately, it seems Thundershriek had done an excellent job destroying them, and anything on them.

Walking over to a group of the dead, Laonin spoke up, not knowing if anyone was really around to hear him or not.  "We need to take care of the bodies. Even if they were out enemies, they were still human, and they deserve that much respect. Just try to check and see of they have anything on them that could lead us to where they took the people they kidnapped."

Laonin then searched the pockets of the man he was closest to, and walked to an empty corner of the square, and set him down. Laonin pulled out a stamp, and changed his Axe into a shovel, and began digging.

Alask turned back as Laonin talked about respecting the enemies. Such a contrast to what the essence mark turned him into. "That makes sense," Alask said, checking the pockets of a group of corpses. "But some of these enemies are just piles of bones. How exactly do we respect them?"

He watched how Laonin changed his staff to an axe and a shovel and began to dig. Alask didn't have any digging tools of his own, so he continued to check the bodies, organising them next to the pit Laonin was digging.

Aeodin looked surprised as Laonin wanted to take care of the enemies dead.  "They aren't human," Aeodin muttered, but he stooped to help anyway.  Aeodin walked up to Laonin and began speaking, "When I was young, before the shaod took me, a group of these monks raided my hometown.  They teleported into the center of the town, and began hunting down our citizens.  A group of Elantrians teleported in right after them.  The battle that ensued left the town a smoking crater.  Eventually the monks fled, using a large number of humans to teleport away.  A large monk broke my mother's neck."  He fell silent as he moved a piece of bone.  After a short time, he resumed speaking, "It's good that you respect your enemy, and it's good that you want to move their bones, but don't call them humans, and don't respect these particular enemies."

@Karnatheon

"I understand that you have a personal history with these Dakhor. And I agree they have done awful things, killed people, probably tortured others. We don't even know the half of it. But I've done no better. Thundershriek is not a good man, Aeodin. If he hadn't fallen unconscious, what's to say you wouldn't have had to fight him next? He's destroyed towns, and villages, and innocent people just as much as they did. Does that make me not human? I am a different mind, but this body has still committed atrocities aplenty." Laonin paused in his work, and looked at Aeodin.

"I don't respect their choices. But I choose to respect the life that was lost. I know we had to fight them or they would have killed us and killed others in the future, but it doesn't change the fact that they are dead because of us. We're the ones who shed their blood, and destroyed whatever was left of their souls. I won't try to convince you further. You have the right to feel however you wish, I just ask that you give me the same courtesy."

Aeodin nodded at Laonin's argument.  It made since, except for one point.  "The difference between you and these," he said, gesturing to the fallen monks, "Is that they came into a life of killing intentionally.  You had it forced upon you."  He continued, speaking while he piled bones in a fire, "I don't blame epics for what they do, the darkness makes them do it.  Heck, Galvris once committed thousands of atrocities, but he was under the influence of a powerful being.  These," he gestured at the monks, "Want nothing more than to kill, and they became Dahkor so they could kill better."

Alask silently gathered the oddly shaped bones and put them away. He overheard what Aeodin was saying, but kept silent. Who was he to speak up about innocence? He had a Shade attached to his soul.

The Shade, Alask felt it in his spikes again, rumbling. But it's rumbling was subdued, for some reason. Was it... pouting? Ever since the Alleyzon heist, Alask was getting a better sense for his Shade's emotions. It seemed like it was pouting. Did the incident with Nekorb sadden you? Alask thought to it. Two pulses of emotion indicated a affirmative response.

Collecting more bones, Alask thought about what say. Look, he said. We really need to talk about when it's convenient for you to take control. The Shade just growled in response, but Alask continued. Honestly, if you keep acting up at every time someone lights a candle you're going to end up with more dead bodies than you can count.

Something about the Shade's response growl told it didn't have the same hesitance to death as Alask had.

~~~

The Shade growled.

It wasn't angry or enraged, not anymore. Now, it simply lay dormant inside its host's body, living in the flesh that made its prison. The host continued talking to it, communicating to it through thoughts. The Shade couldn't completely understand what was being said, but it could understand some things. Emotions. Words.

Deal? While the host had probably asked a longer question, only the basest of words came through for the Shade to understand. Following the pattern the host had thought up, it hummed instead of growled, pronouncing its confusion. A deal? Even the fact that it could understand a deal surprised it. It hadn't been this smart when it had been on Threnody, it had been an animal.

It was still an animal now, it didn't forget that. If anyone broke the Rules, it's rage would be a force to be reckoned with, but it felt smarter, more intelligent.

Perhaps the theory of it Bonding to Alask, like a spren, wasn't crazy after all.