A future "Bladewar"

Ripheus23

If different worlds developed Shardblade equivalents (Awakened swords on Nalthis, Seon/Skaze analogs on Sel, etc.), do you predict that one day, in the Great Crossover, there will be a major war going on somewhere, involving many/most/all the different Shardblade-like arsenals?

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Personally no. At least not as primary weapons. Just like in real life, quick and readily available lethal ranged weapons are going to end up taking precedence. 

Just look at Scadrial. 

Imagine a Taldain/Scadrial alliance. Two of the most advanced planets we know of, either of which could probably steamroll most of the others.

Long range weapons are always going to dominate. Coinshots in a modern city could probably easily beat a shardbearer since they could remain out of reach and shoot coins which could probably slowly damage the shardplate until it locks up. Guns would probably have a similar effectiveness against shardplate. A shardblade sword is fairly useless until you're in melee range and provide hardly any defense against bullets until then.

Yeah due to Sanderson making each planet, realistically I might add, at separate stages of development; I find the chances that a bladewar happens unlikely. That said these Shardbearers from other planets might act like Jedi of the space era, using old weapons with such proficiency they can fight those with better tech. Cosmere Jedi. 

36 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Long range weapons are always going to dominate. Coinshots in a modern city could probably easily beat a shardbearer since they could remain out of reach and shoot coins which could probably slowly damage the shardplate until it locks up. Guns would probably have a similar effectiveness against shardplate. A shardblade sword is fairly useless until you're in melee range and provide hardly any defense against bullets until then.

We haven't seen much of real Knights Radiant armor, only left-overs.  Even if an active Knights armor has similar limits, I bet Kaladin could make a Syl-shield that would take plenty of coins or bullets.  And isn't there some WoB about using spren as long-distance weapons?

3 hours ago, Lidolas said:

We haven't seen much of real Knights Radiant armor, only left-overs.  Even if an active Knights armor has similar limits, I bet Kaladin could make a Syl-shield that would take plenty of coins or bullets.  And isn't there some WoB about using spren as long-distance weapons?

Yeah, the shardplate of Radiants probably can repair itself much more quickly than the shardplate that much. Still, developing technologies would still neutralize any advantages that shardplate and shardblades have before too long. With regards to long-distance spren weapons, that's probably possible to a degree, but guns would still out-range them in most causes probably.

Questioner

On the nature of shardblades, to an extent, can a live blade be split without harming it's source, so to speak?

Brandon Sanderson

Can a live blade split? What do you mean, split?

Questioner

Make itself into two weapons.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, can a blade be forged into two weapons. A shardblade.

Questioner

Does it absolutely need a connection, or can it become two?

Brandon Sanderson

So, shardblades becoming two shardblades would require slicing in half a soul, which would not be very fun for the spren. Okay?

Questioner

So it's possible. *laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

So it's technically possible to take hydrogen and to turn it into plutonium with our current technology. It would cost more money than, like, the budget of NASA to do it for, y'know, one atom. So there are things that are possible, but-- Yes it is possible. This is not something that would be easy or very useful to do.

source

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

So Radiant Shardplate I think could reform without stormlight. I feel like they could just dismiss part of the armor and call new spren to reform it.

Even if Shardplate is made of spren, that's a big assumption. I highly doubt that they have armor that can just be dismissed when broken and resummomed instantly whole. Brandon is far to fond of limitations (rightfully, as the alternative is boring) for that to be true. 

34 minutes ago, Rossamund Rhapadocera said:

I don't think radiants can make flexible weapons. What's more turning a spren into a single arrow seems like it would generally be a waste of potential. It'd make more sense to me to make shardspears or javelins, which are thrown or lashed.

You're absolutely right. It's also a huge waste because it relies on width of the cutting edge to sever limbs. Honorblades are incapable of healing Shardblade wounds, and yet when Szeth is stabbed by Kaladin with Syl as a knife it does so little that Kaladin thinks he heals. A simple puncture that doesn't hit a limb core doesn't seem to accomplish anything. 

All of which is why every time this topic comes up I bring up an oversize chakram. Because if a radiant in plate throws this thing, it's going to do some storming damage. 

9b1cdb6536839ec067440f33c9db6201.jpg

12 hours ago, Lidolas said:

Could two (or more) Radiants work together to create long-distance weapons?  For example, Kaladin has Syl turn into a Shardbow and Shallan has Pattern turn into an Shardarrow?

Where would the benefit be? A shard is not better at making a bow than an ordinary bow. In fact, it would suck. A bow has to bend.
It seems to me that if you wanted a ranged shard weapon, you'd need to go for a larger weapon to get a decent mass. So a shard javelin powered by an atlatl. It would solve the classical issue of all distance weapons. You could not run out of ammo, as the projectile can dematerialise and return to the wielder.

• Chaos locked this topic