Dalinar's Shardblade OB

The Deity

Question

In OB we see that when Dalinar is trying to get back to Urithiru from Azir he summons a sorta "proto-Shardblade" at the cost of the Stormfather being slightly being pained. Do we even know if he actually summoned a full Shardblade, or is that even possible for a Bondsmith? 

13 answers to this question

What he probably did was force the Stormfather to manifest Physically just enough to serve as an Oathgate key and the latter was so surprised that Dalinar was doing it that he wasn't able to stop it from happening. We know that Bondsmiths did not have Shardblades historically so it's unlikely we'll ever see Dalinar with a full blade and we'll probably never see a repeat of that scene either.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

whats more interesting is that at that point he was only on his second oath, whereas Kaladin had to wait for his 3rd to be able to summon syl as a shardblade.

Different orders have different shardblade acquisition oath requirement. Like Shallan already gotten shardblade before her 2nd/3rd truth but the Windrunners needed the 3rd oath to get one. 

Szeth is also on the 3rd oath as a skybreaker but he doesn't seem to have a blade(maybe he does but we get to see on the 3rd book)

24 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Different orders have different shardblade acquisition oath requirement. Like Shallan already gotten shardblade before her 2nd/3rd truth but the Windrunners needed the 3rd oath to get one.

Shallan is further along than Kaladin.  At the end of WoR she was one oath/equivalent ahead of Kaladin (source), and based on what we see in that book, she should be one ahead of him at the end of WoK too, since I think we only see 1 particularly revalatory truth there.

5 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

Shallan is further along than Kaladin.  At the end of WoR she was one oath/equivalent ahead of Kaladin (source), and based on what we see in that book, she should be one ahead of him at the end of WoK too, since I think we only see 1 particularly revalatory truth there.

Shallan has the shardblade before WoTK even begun tho 

Also here's a WoB that proves my point

Kythis

Is there a specific number of the ideals that they have to do before they can get the shardblade?  

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on the order.

source

40 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Shallan has the shardblade before WoTK even begun tho 

She did, and she regressed. We never actually see her summon her blade until after she reaches the third though. 

She swears two, in tWoK. 

The first is easy to overlook. She says "I am Terrified" to which she hears the response "this is true" and boom. First visit to Shadesmar. 

I think the truth is far more significant Tha   people think, because it's not just about that situation. It's here generally. Shallan is a very reactive, fear driven character. Everything she does is avoidance and running. 

44 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Also here's a WoB that proves my point

Seeing as we know that Bondsmiths never get blades, I don't think we actually know anything in this regard. The only person we see summon a blade before the third is Lift, and in her situation it's literally right before. The words were just a formality at that point. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

She did, and she regressed. We never actually see her summon her blade until after she reaches the third though. 

She swears two, in tWoK. 

The first is easy to overlook. She says "I am Terrified" to which she hears the response "this is true" and boom. First visit to Shadesmar. 

I think the truth is far more significant Tha   people think, because it's not just about that situation. It's here generally. Shallan is a very reactive, fear driven character. Everything she does is avoidance and running. 

The way lightweavers work in terms of oaths is really interesting. You would think that Truthwatchers should be how lightweavers work (now i wonder how lightweavers work).

And i don't remember if Renarin has a blade but how many oaths did he swear already ?

Seeing as we know that Bondsmiths never get blades, I don't think we actually know anything in this regard. The only person we see summon a blade before the third is Lift, and in her situation it's literally right before. The words were just a formality at that point. 

Hmmm about that.

Questioner

Did every Order of Knights Radiant have Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

Every Order was capable of Shardblades.

source

So any order can summon shardblades. It probably just happens that the spren of the Bondsmith or the Bondsmith themselves just don't want to or maybe some other reason why Bondsmiths can't.

It seems that the bondsmiths all bonded with super powerful spren like the Stormfather. Entities like that would not want to condescend to the level of being a puny human's little sword. In fact, the Stormfather told Dalinar as much at the end of WoR. Dalinar forced the issue in OB, which caused a bit of conflict between the two.
It goes back to the inconvenient problem of your sword being a sentient entity who has to choose to be your sword. 
Word of advice, Radiants. Be nice to your spren. :P 

On 9/11/2018 at 9:34 PM, Calderis said:

She swears two, in tWoK. 

Lift got her blade after the third oath. She internalized it, just never swore it out loud.

“You,” the girl said to Lift. “Outsida?”

“Yeah.”

“You listenin’?”

“I’m listenin’.”

“People, they don’t listen.” She smiled at Lift again, then finally scuttled away.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 107). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

People, they don’t listen. Did Lift listen? She did usually, didn’t she? Why did the little urchin girl care, anyway?

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 109). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

See. I can listen. But of course, this wasn’t the right kind of listening.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 144). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

The confused farmers worked with their shiquas pulled up to their waists. Lift passed, and she tried to listen. To hear. This was supposed to be their one time of year where they didn’t have to work. Sure, they planted some treb to grow in cracks, as it could survive flooding. But they weren’t supposed to have to plant lavis, tallew, or clema: much more labor-intensive—but also more profitable—crops to cultivate. Yet here they were. What if it rained tomorrow, and washed away all this effort? What if it never rained again? The city cisterns, which were glutted with water from the weeks of Weeping, would not last forever. They were so worried, she caught sight of some fearspren—

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (pp. 173-174). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

She closed her eyes, and listened to them. “I’m frightened. Is the storm going to be long?” “Why did everyone have to go inside?” “I miss my mommy.” “What about the gummers in the alley? Will they be all right?” Their uncertainty thrummed through Lift. She’d been here. After her mother died, she’d been here. She’d been here dozens of times since, in cities all across the land. Places for forgotten children.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 222). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

“Listen to these kids talk. Do you hear them?” “They’re scared of the storm.” “And of the sudden call to hide. And of being alone. So uncertain…”

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 223). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Listen, Lift. Are you listening? People, they don’t listen anymore.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 236). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I feel lost, like a soldier on a battlefield who can’t remember which banner is hers, the guard captain’s voice said. Listening. She was listening, wasn’t she? Half the time, I get the sense that even kings are confused by the world. Ghenna the scribe’s voice. Nobody listened anymore. I wish someone would tell us what was happening. The Stump’s voice.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 237). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Too few people listened to anything other than their own thoughts. But what good would listening do her here? All she could hear was the sound of the storm outside, lightning making the stones vibrate. Thunder. A new storm. I can’t defeat him. I’ve got to change him. Listen.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 250). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

“I will listen,” Lift shouted, “to those who have been ignored!”

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 252). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

“You actually are,” he said, then felt at his face. “I wasn’t always like this. I am getting worse, aren’t I? It’s true.” “I don’t know,” Lift said. And then, by instinct, she did something she would never have thought possible. She hugged Darkness. He clung to her, this monster, this callous thing that had once been a Herald. He clung to her and wept in the storm.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 253). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

But I will listen to those who are ignored, she thought. Even people like Darkness, whom I’d rather never have heard. Maybe that will help.

Sanderson, Brandon. Edgedancer: From the Stormlight Archive (p. 263). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

It's her character arc for Edgedancers, learning how to listen.

Edited by MountainKing
Fixing my argument again