Sanderson Fan First or Jordan Fan First?

SirZelig

192 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a Brandon Sanderson first, or were you a Robert Jordan fan first?

RJ! Though I'm a much bigger fan of Brandon. I would read anything Brandon has written and the same isn't true of Jordan (that's with an a btw >.>)

THIS! though I've not read any WoT in a while, so I might revise this after I do reread/finish it :D

Wow, with my vote, it's dead even.

I was an RJ fan first. Wheel of Time was recommended to me by a classmate my sophomore year of high school, after I had told him how much I prefer fantasy - long fantasy - to any other book. I read from Eye of the World to either Winter's Heart of Crossroads of Twilight straight through in a single summer, having spent most of my time doing little else (except attending band camp). When I heard that Brandon was finishing the series, I went to his website, read his sample chapters, then promptly went out and bought Elantris and Mistborn 1.

And, well, I think we all know well enough that that was all it took. ;)

I adjusted the name of the poll and the question to say "Jordan" instead of "Jorden". I hope you don't mind, SirZelig.

Interesting how close the margins are here. There's probably some serious selection bias, though.

Put me down as another that learned about Brandon because he was asked to finish WoT.

Doesn't change the fact that I read -all- of Brandon's other published books (and one unpublished) between learning of his taking over WoT and the release of Gathering Storm.

He's become a real favorite of mine.

But I started reading Jordan at least a decade before Brandon's first book was ever published.

I'm not sure how to place my vote. I read WoT many years ago (after CoT was published but before New Spring) but sort of gave up on it. Then I was introduced to Brandon's books, and I started WoT again because I wanted to see what he did with the series. So I guess I'd say I was a RJ fan first, but I didn't read Brandon's books because of RJ.

It's kind of funny. The first one I heard of was WoT, a friend-of-a-friend recommended it to me but I never picked it up, but a few months later a friend of mine recommended Mistborn. That time I DID pick it up and LOVED it. I didn't make the connection of the guy that friend-of-a-friend mentioned would be finishing WoT and Brandon until later.

But yeah, Brandon first.

I've decided to tackle WoT after coming to Brandon First. I had of course heard of RJ's epic series and the first I had ever heard of Brandon was when he was selected to finish the series. But after all of the books are released in WoT I'll probably start churning through them at an easy pace, probably getting them from the library.

Robert Jordan first but, that said, when I read The Gathering Storm I was so pleased with Sanderson's writing that I then read a bunch of his other books. Put it this way: I read what Brandon has written and pay attention to what he's writing. If Jordan has other books besides the WoT, I'm not interested.

I honestly didnt think this would be this close of a race. It is nice to see that is seem to be an even match so far. Also, I think Jordan did some Conan books, but not for certain about that.

Remember though, this is on Brandon's forums, so things will no doubt be strongly skewed in his favor (even if he's still behind).

Jordan first. If you cut Jordan's less than clean stuff I would like them evenly.

The books with Brandon co-writing are the best of the series imo but I just like his style better so that may be why!

I respectfully, and forcefully disagree! Brandon has done a fantastic job taking on the near impossible task of finishing The Wheel of Time, but Robert Jordan was infinitely better, after all it was his world. Nobody can match Jordan in his own world with his own characters, that's not to say he was a better writer than Brandon, just that he was better at writing The Wheel of Time, after all it is his creation.

I have greatly enjoyed both The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight, but I will always mourn the fact that Jordan did not have the opportunity to write them himself.