Parshendi that refused Stormform

bdoble97

My question is what happend to the Parshendi that refused to take stormform. They escape their death in by fleeing with what several 100 warform. What happen to them where they go. In then end of WOR it is said that the Everstorm turn all Parshmen into stormform. Does that mean no matter what the Parshendi refugees do or go they will transform into stormform. I think not it is my belief that the Parshmen will be transformed into stormform: do the fact that they have no free will with the Parshendi refugees will be able to choose not to or resist turning into stormform when the everstorm reach them there for they have a choice to stay in their respective forms. And fight along side with the new KR seeing that Relain one of their former spys is welcomed and is a member of the Bridge 4. I don't know its just a guess but I would like to see that happen but I would like to be completely surprised with what happens in Book 3

It depends. I think the Everstorm has to physically touch them before they can transform. So assuming that they managed to shield themselves from it, you may well see that the listeners that fled Narak are still unchanged.

I doubt Brandon is a sucker for depressing endings. 

I doubt Brandon is a sucker for depressing endings.

No, but he does like his plots nice and twisty. So it wouldn't surprise me if they were all transformed.

Then again, I don't think the Listeners who don't want to will all be transformed because they have to do something special in order to switch forms. Have a sphere, and negotiate it with the Stormfather.

This is a great topic for theory-izing!

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Lift or another KR with Progression (i.e., Healing or whatever we're calling it) could heal Eshonai's mother's mind? Then she could remember the whole song about the "old days" and all 100 forms, etc. Maybe in those 100 verses / 100 forms there's a key to fighting or escaping from the transformation.

Also, doesn't it say somewhere that Urithiru is unaffected by the Desolations? So maybe if the Listener-Parshendi could get there, they might be safe?

So many possibilities!

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Lift or another KR with Progression (i.e., Healing or whatever we're calling it) could heal Eshonai's mother's mind? Then she could remember the whole song about the "old days" and all 100 forms, etc. Maybe in those 100 verses / 100 forms there's a key to fighting or escaping from the transformation.

Also, doesn't it say somewhere that Urithiru is unaffected by the Desolations? So maybe if the Listener-Parshendi could get there, they might be safe?

So many possibilities!

Urithiru is built to defend against the Everstorm just like other buildings are built to withstand Highstorms. It comes down to whether or not the Listeners have to actually be out in the storms to be transformed. If yes, then Urithiru is the perfect place for them. If no...

I think the parshmen are susceptible to voidform because they don't have any spren at all.  The Parshendi have spren, so that "blocks" the voidspren from entering them.  They have to willingly transform to voidform.

I think the parshmen are susceptible to voidform because they don't have any spren at all.  The Parshendi have spren, so that "blocks" the voidspren from entering them.  They have to willingly transform to voidform.

Agreed. So there is hope. I dunno, if all of them were to transform it'd probably mean their extinction. I find that sad.

Agreed. So there is hope. I dunno, if all of them were to transform it'd probably mean their extinction. I find that sad.

I'm pretty sure that there's a way of using Surgebinding to purge a Listener of their spren. After all humanity enslaved the Parshmen somehow. So as long as the Voidbringers aren't annihilated the species can continue. We just need someone to teach the survivors to fuse with spren again.

One of the Tension or Cohesion surges, maybe?

But the thing is, will humanity try the same thing again? I would probably err towards caution and wipe them out.

Edited by Ketek

So many possibilities!

I really don't think Progression would work on that.  Also it is "hundreds of forms" not 100.

Hmm. I wonder if that might be a topic that gets covered in Stones Unhallowed or a different future book; unchanged Parshendi/Parshmen arriving at Uritheru seeking Sanctuary from the Everstorm, and the resulting political fallout from it.

It would be kind of an interesting way to keep the divisions between the peoples going, and it might be an interesting reversal from earlier; the Highprinces who were insistent on not getting rid of their Parshmen turning against them, Dalinars struggling with whether or not to take the chance and try to save them.

I'm pretty sure that there's a way of using Surgebinding to purge a Listener of their spren. After all humanity enslaved the Parshmen somehow.

Unless the remaining Voidbringers somehow gave up their stormform to protect their species. Maybe they decided to give up their consciousness in place of survival.

Of course, this assumes that Listeners in stormform have the ability to give it up. It is also entirely possible that in this form they are unable to think for themselves, or that they are controlled by Odium, much like how Marsh is controlled in HoA. But if they are like Marsh, maybe they can minutely rebel against Odium, after all, Eshonai hears a screaming voice in her head so I wouldn't be surprised if some Listeners were able to break free from stormform.

Though it would be very interesting if Surgebinding could free Listeners. Perhaps some sort of connection with Honor or Cultivation would give Listeners freedom, kind of like how Rlain is still a part of Bridge Four.

Ideas?

@ #7 RShara & others - I like that theory!

@ #11 WeiryWriter - I guess I though that if Lift could basically resurrect a young man from the dead, that the same type of Surgebinding could repair the brain damage that steals the minds of the elderly? I feel a good deal of compassion for Eshonai's mother, having watched mini-strokes do the same thing to a member of my own family. 'Guess I just wanted to give the dear lady a chance to be a hero. :-)

I really hope we see this plot line developing in Stones Unhallowed.

It was implied, but nobody knows for sure.

I could see the "rebel" parshendi surviving simply because of Brandon's past writing. He has done the whole "survival of the flood" dealie before with the end of the Mistborn trilogy. In fact I wouldn't put it past him that there was some sort of hidden tunnel they stumble upon that was really there all along for some reason that Honor might have set up in anticipation of Odium. Just the kind of thing I could see Brandon doing lol. 

I suspect they have to be exposed to it to change, though. Eshonai argues with the other Parshendi leaders that more should take on Stormform. It seems as though they have to be prepared in some way (perhaps the way Eshonai was, with the stone containing the trapped spren) or exposed to the Highstorm to manage it.

But now that the Stormform-summoned storm is circling the world, I suppose there's an open question as to whether the rules have changed and transformation can take place even under cover.

(Not much of a theory but: since it involves a spren, whether it's a voidbringerspren(?)or even the regular spren the Parshendi use in transitioning from one form to another--perhaps it has to be powered by Stormlight, which is why they have to go out into the Highstorm. Like spheres, it's just no use if they're under shelter. If a hugely Invested storm and major source of Stormlight's the trigger for it, then it would make sense that sheltered Parshendi wouldn't be affected by it.)

Edited by Kasimir

Wait.  This is brilliant.  And logical.  And also, I can't for the life of me find it, but isn't there WoB on an allomantic metal that removes investiture from others?  I know about aluminum/chromium, but I was thinking him specifically talking about investiture, rather than just their store of metals, .  And all of this is relevant because maybe Bondsmith's found a way to do that, but with Stormlight?

Remove the investiture/Voidspren, remove the threat.

The old songs spoke of hundreds of forms. Now they knew of only five. Well, six if one counted slaveform, the form with no spren, no soul, and no song. The form the humans were accustomed to, the ones they called parshmen. WOR I-1

I think the parshmen have already been blocked from bonding spren. Probable by bondsmith in the past. If they could bond spren wouldn't the parshendi have helped some of them.

I'm pretty sure that there's a way of using Surgebinding to purge a Listener of their spren. After all humanity enslaved the Parshmen somehow. So as long as the Voidbringers aren't annihilated the species can continue. We just need someone to teach the survivors to fuse with spren again.

It wasn't until Taln appeared at the end of TWoK that the voidspren (red spren, seen by Syl, in Highstorms) appeared. And Taln's coming started the Desolation right? So what if, when the Desolation is ended, voidspren have to disappear again. Any Listener using a voidspren at that point would be left without a spren. And what's a Listener without a spren? Right, a parshman.

• Chaos locked this topic