About the Transgender Investiture Soultion

Inky

Question

Glamdring804 [PENDING REVIEW]

Could someone, using Investiture the right way, could a transgender person use Investiture to change their body to match...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

source

Is this possible through a kind of Investiture we've seen yet? I'm sorta new to this whole Cosmere business. 

3 answers to this question

As long as someone truly perceives themselves to be of a different gender than their physical body, any healing should be enough. 

wiresegal

In OB, you explained that the Singers have four sexes. I was wondering... Can the Singers have genders other than those four, like humans? Even as simple as just not going with male, female, or malen/femalen. Could a transgender Singer use their ability to shift forms to change their biological reality? And, finally, could a Spren be non-binary, if it wasn't personified in a typical male/female way?

Brandon Sanderson

In the cosmere as a whole, a person's perception of themselves has a lot of power over both their Spiritual and Physical forms. It is possible, with investiture, to change their biology to match Cognitive perceptions--and while this could be easier for some races (like the Singers) it's not outside plausibility for any race.

There are non-binary spren, actually--and you should be meeting one important one quite soon in the books.

source

For sure, a Returned could do it.

Kogiopsis

Since Returned come back as kind of an idealized form of themselves, if somebody was transgender in their original life would they Return as the sex they had been assigned the first time or the gender they identified as?

Brandon Sanderson

I would think that a transgendered person could definitely come back as how they identify. Perception is very important in these sorts of things. It would really depend on the person, but yes.

source