Where do the Warbreaker connections come from? (Mild spoilers for Words of Radiance)

GoneRampant

So according to TVTropes, it's heavily implied that Zahel is Vasher from Warbreaker (Which I have yet to read- gonna finish Well of Ascension first) and that Nightblood returns as Szeth's new sword. I was wondering after having read it, so I decided to ask someone who actually read Warbreaker- or more specifically, a whole forum of them- for help understanding the connections. 

Definitely just try reading Warbreaker. It's free on Brandon's website. When you've finished, re-read the Zahel sections and it should be pretty clear. There is another massive Warbreaker hint in WoR, so look out for that too. Warbreaker a really good, underrated book. Give it a try. 

To be honest, we don't really understand the connections here either. 

We know that a sword sounding just like Nightlbood shows up towards the end. 

We know that Zahel sounds an awful lot like Vasher, and I'm fairly certain there is confirmation there on that. here is a WoB that all but confirms it. 

What we don't know is the why or how they got there! So there are some very large gaps in our knowledge, but I'm looking forward to SA #3 to see Vasher realizing that Nightblood is in the hands of the assassin in White and trying to do something about that!

Now I am wishing I hadn't given my copy of Warbreaker away. It's really my least favorite of Brandon's books. To me, and I only read it once, the female characters were just off, somehow - not very believable, even less so than the main female character in his first novel, Elantris. I liked the magic system in Warbreaker, and all the male characters and especially the plot twists; the two female characters were its only weakness ... at least we haven't seen either of them on Roshar yet - have we?

Now I am wishing I hadn't given my copy of Warbreaker away. It's really my least favorite of Brandon's books. To me, and I only read it once, the female characters were just off, somehow - not very believable, even less so than the main female character in his first novel, Elantris. I liked the magic system in Warbreaker, and all the male characters and especially the plot twists; the two female characters were its only weakness ... at least we haven't seen either of them on Roshar yet - have we?

We have no evidence that Sir I or Vivenna is on Roshar at the moment. You do know that the whole book is on Brandon's site for free, if you want to re-read it. IMHO people don't give Warbreaker enough credit.

You can read the whole book for free at Brandon's site

Just use the navigation drop down in the top right. You might still be able to download the pdf somewhere on there. 

Nah, I think Zahel is Ishi. Both his chapters have double Ishi's head on headings.

Also, he seems too much an expert on Shardblades for a non-Rosharian. Could be there for some time, I guess.

Vasher may be the guy talking with Nale in the prologue, sounds like him too.

Also: hello again everyone, I've finaly read WoR and kinda came back to the forum (but not much time for them :( )

Edited by Eri

Zahel - speaks in metaphors to do with colour that no-one else seems to understand.

Mentions a voice he hasn't heard in years.

Is filled with regret (ok, that goes for a lot of characters).

The first point is the most telling though. Given that there has to date only ever been one sentient sword in the Cosmere, and I can't imagine Brandon introducing another with the same physical characteristics (black smoke) and motivation (Would you like to destroy some evil today?) we can pretty much dispense with any notion that it's NOT Nightblood at the end of WoR.

Seeing as Nightblood made it to Roshar, and Zahel exhibits the qualities outlined above, it stands to reason that he's Vasher. As to WHY he's here, that's easy. Stormlight. Much easier to acquire than Breath, no?

The HOW is still a mystery.

• Chaos locked this topic