Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archive are more closely related then any other world in the cosmere- I think

17 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

so how exactly does one use the cognitive realm to travel between worlds?

You walk. The Cognitive Realm is topographically flat, and the space between worlds is compressed where there is no thought. So you can walk or ride and cover the light-years between planets in relatively little time. 

Edited by Calderis

14 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

so how exactly does one use the cognitive realm to travel between worlds?

in the cognitive realm places manifest differently depending on how much people think about it. So basically a city in the cognitive realm will have a big manifestation because many people live there and many think about it while space will only manifest a little since there is nothing there that can think and it is not thought about much.

So travel through the cognitive basically is like normal travel (excluding the oddities of the CR) but you kind of skip places where there is nothing (because their manifestation is so small). That is how the thousands of lightyears between systems become managable.

Here is one relevant WOB =)

Questioner

So like as far as distance traveled in Shadesmar. 

Brandon Sanderson

Mhm

Questioner

So when Kelsier...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Questioner

...in Shadesmar. He meets the Ire, who are presumably Elantrian.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Like how far did he travel? Is that still within Scadrial's realm of the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's within-- he has s-- By the time he meets them he has slipped right to the edge of the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial and into kind of the darkness between planets. 

Questioner

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

He's close enough that he can get there. But he's kind of suffused with Scadrian Investiture then, to a point that it would be harder--you saw in there--for him to get further. I would say that he's like... He has entered space between planets, but he's not out of the solar system.

Questioner

Okay, so he's <still there> in the Scadrian system, just...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yep.

Questioner

Okay, just edging it there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, mhm. That's what I'd say if I had to actually point <at> him. I would get really fuzzy though, because it wouldn't be too much longer before he enters another solar system. Like he would pass lightyears in steps as he starts getting further, if that makes any sense.

Questioner

That makes sense, because, I mean, with worldhopping in general it's like... You can only... I mean it's... I don't know how the time dilation works per se, but...

Brandon Sanderson

It's not-- there's not much time dilation. What you've got going on is... Things that people aren't around to think about, things without minds or any sort of life, don't manifest on Shadesmar very much at all. And so the space between planets gets really small, unless there's another planet out there with thinking beings or at least some sort of life on it. Like even lower lifeforms, you'll get something manifesting on Shadesmar. But yeah.

Questioner

Okay. So the Cognitive Realm, in Shadesmar...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Questioner

...in the Cognitive Realm... It's kind of the... Any kind of sentient or cognitive life-- that's what is building Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah.

Questioner

So like anything where there's blackness... is like... condensed or--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes. Particularly if no one's thinking about it? If people are thinking about it.. like, for instance, an island in the ocean that was scoured of all life and even bacteria would still manifest in Shadesmar on that planet because people are aware of it and things like this. But one on the other side of the planet, that no one ever knew about it, probably wouldn't.

Questioner

So that same island, if people just stopped thinking about it or like stopped being aware it's *inaudible* would it...

Brandon Sanderson

It could slowly vanish, yes. And so-- But that's more of a thought experiment. You're never gonna have a planet that that happens to, you know cause...

Questioner

Right.

Brandon Sanderson

But thought experiment wise, yes, that would eventually kind of get consumed by Shadesmar and vanish. The same thing would happen to a planet that you strip the atmosphere from--all the bacteria and life dies on it--you know, slowly going to vanish. But a moon will still manifest because people are thinking about it. It'll just not-- it won't-- it'll be hoakie, it'll be weird--the moon will be. Like you might find a little patch that represents the moon. Something like that.

Questioner

That's interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

You're not gonna find the full landscape of the moon until people start visiting it. And it's gonna grow on Shadesmar.

1 hour ago, Rhapsody said:

So travel through the cognitive basically is like normal travel (excluding the oddities of the CR) but you kind of skip places where there is nothing (because their manifestation is so small). That is how the thousands of lightyears between systems become managable.

Brandon gave the scale of the Cosmere once and it's more like fifty light-years, though Peter has harder numbers so the final amount might be different. Still closer to that than 'thoussands'.

The rest's spot-on though. xD

1 hour ago, eleventh of the moon said:

so why does the cognitive realm apear differently in Scadrial than Roshar? Is it because a lot of Roshar uses glass beads and a lot of Scadrial has mist?

I believe everything is less alive on Scadrial because investiture is kept so tight. Metal itself being the key rather than investiture itself.
On Roshar everything is more alive likely due to the Highstorms causing a constant saturation of investiture.

I could be wrong. This is not based on any real evidence. Only what I've assumed.

Love your avatar.

16 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

awesome, and thank you. does Harmony give more investiture than ruin and preservation? The cognitive realm looked different to Wax when he died than it did for Kelsier. 

I don't think he truly saw the Cognitive Realm. He saw what Harmony showed him. He hadn't disconnected from his body. If he'd actually died the bands couldn't have healed him. 

The Cognitive of every world is going to manifest differently. As to why that is I can't say. The mists as a representation of Scadrial make sense, but tiny glass spheres on Roshar? I doubt it's from currency, and gemhearts aren't perfectly spherical. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

I don't think he truly saw the Cognitive Realm. He saw what Harmony showed him. He hadn't disconnected from his body. If he'd actually died the bands couldn't have healed him. 

The Cognitive of every world is going to manifest differently. As to why that is I can't say. The mists as a representation of Scadrial make sense, but tiny glass spheres on Roshar? I doubt it's from currency, and gemhearts aren't perfectly spherical. 

That actually brings up the question of out of body experiences in the Cosmere... could you become a Cognitive Shadow temporarily, without dying?

And if I recall rightly, there's a WOB about the beads saying it's not just to do with currency, but RAFO... I imagine something like that will probably be in the back five of Stormlight, but I could be completely wrong there.

.... I wonder what the Cognitive Realm of Patji looks like...

36 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Quick question, what does WOB and RAFO mean? Also, which book includes Patji?

WoB=Word of Brandon. Things Brandon has said at signings and the like.

RAFO=Read and Find Out. As in, you'll probably find out someday, just not now. Brandon uses it for anything from "I don't feel like answering right now," "I don't remember," "I feel like trolling," and actual "You'll find out in the future!"

Patji is from Sixth of the Dusk, a short story in Arcanum Unbounded.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, ScarletSabre said:

That actually brings up the question of out of body experiences in the Cosmere... could you become a Cognitive Shadow temporarily, without dying?

You can get the necessary 'Investiture permeation' to become a Cognitive Shadow before dying (it's why the Shades exist on Threnody) but by definition a Cognitive Shadow has had their Physical connection severed and is persisting in the Cognitive Realm and not passing Beyond because of that Investiture. What we see of Wax in Bands of Mourning (and can assume happened to Szeth in Words of Radiance) is as close as you can get to having an out of body experience short of Physical death. You'd still have Connection to your body capable of restoring you to 'normal life' but for a short time your consciousness would be detached from it. But if you've got to the point of being considered a Cognitive Shadow, you are Physically dead, or have at least 'died' once in the case of shadows able to re-establish a connection to the Physical Realm a la the Returned and the Heralds.

20 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

Quick question, what does WOB and RAFO mean? Also, which book includes Patji?

*gasp* I'm the first one in quick enough to help the newbie! Harrah! WoB is word of Brandon and represents something canonical that Brandon has said. RAFO means read and find out, which is something Brandon can't answer for one reason or another. Sixth of Dusk includes Patji.

5 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

I am both confused and thankful. So, if space between worlds doesn't matter, then why are there so many people from warbreaker in stormlight, yet none from any other world?

There are some. Merciful Domi guy is from Elantris, and certainly some other ones are from other places. It's just that the only ones we see are from Warbreaker cause those are the guys we can recognize easier.

5 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

I am both confused and thankful. So, if space between worlds doesn't matter, then why are there so many people from warbreaker in stormlight, yet none from any other world?

They're there. I know for sure we have two people from Mistborn, two from Sel(Elantris), at least one from Taladin(Khriss), and one from Yolen(Hoid).

18 minutes ago, eleventh of the moon said:

There's not really that many people from Warbreaker in SA, it's just that they're more prominent than worldhoppers from other planets. 

11 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

They're there. I know for sure we have two people from Mistborn, two from Sel(Elantris), at least one from Taladin(Khriss), and one from Yolen(Hoid).

There's actually two from Taldain. Khriss and Baon (Blunt from the Purelake interlude in WoK) are both on Roshar at some point, though they are not together. 

The two from Scadrial (where Mistborn takes place) are Demoux (Thinker in the Purelake interlude) and Felt. One of the two from Sel is OB spoilers, but the other one is Galladon (Grump from the Purelake interlude). Iyatil is also from Silverlight (a city that exists only in the Cognitive Realm) and is Southern Scadrian in descent (she wasn't born there, but someone in her ancestry was). Nazh, who is from Threnody (the world where Shadows for Silence in the forests of hell takes place) and is a traveling companion of Khriss, has been on Roshar before too.