Water and Fire

Bigmikey357

Ok, I might be missing something so tell me if I am, but no where in the Cosmere do I recall seeing any water-based magic. 

Spoiler

Even in White Sand, turning Sand into water was a bug of the Magic, one I remember reading somewhere that Brandon didn't particularly like.

Come to think of it, no fire based magics either. Metal is ever present of course, earth-type magics have been used extensively, wind is used more than a few times, but not fire or water. Is this intentional? Is investiture naturally hydro-/pyro-phobic? Or are there Cosmere novels on the horizon that will deal with the lack of elemental magic systems?

The meta-reason, I suspect, is that many books have dealt with elemental based magic systems and Brandon wants to do something else. Also, he bases a lot of magic on physics and quantum physics, where fire/water/earth/wind don't really matter.

That being said, Division is going to be very fiery, since it's the surge of dividing molecular bonds. And whatever Cusicesh is seems pretty tied to water. As are highstorms.

Yeah, Brandon has said that elemental magic is such a common trope that it would be hard to make it fresh.

Arcanist

Do you plan a magic system which enables the character to manipulate the four elements with their will? I mean not so bounded, like Allomancy with Pushing or Pulling but shaping/summoning the elements according to the wishes of the person. I ask this, because in the whole fantasy genre I rarely find something like this (except: Arc Magica RPG), so I had to develop it myself at home. But from the authors I know you are the person who has the creativity to do this without doubt.

Brandon Sanderson

Maybe, but there are a few problems here. For one, "Four elements" magic has been done over and over in books and video games, so it feels hard to make fresh. And in what you describe, it sounds like the characters would be very powerful, which makes for a challenging story to write.

source

He's done this sort of thing in Reckoners where he can bend reality a lot more and he doesn't have to worry about the users being overpowered; they're Epics so they're supposed to be overpowered relative to normal humans and they're antagonists so it's less of a challenge to write them. I could envision some water-manipulating magic in the Cosmere under the right circumstances but we haven't seen any examples of it so far.

Well, unless you count the potions that Forton makes in Elantris which Brandon has confirmed are Invested. It's not water manipulation per se but it's Invested liquid so... kinda similar.

• Chaos locked this topic