First dead shard

Zinnwalder

Question

Do we know who was the first shard to be killed? And along with that question, was odium the only one to kill shards or have others succeeded at it? My thought with this last question is whether ambition could be implicated in this. (By the name I imagine it could have unless odium got to it before it had a chance)

6 answers to this question

I believe the first one(s) to be killed were Devotion and Dominion. Odium wanted to go after Ambition first, but couldn't find her, so he went after D&D.

We don't know if other Shards have been killed by others, other than Mistborn

Spoiler

Ruin killing Preservation, and the Vin-Ruin mutual kill.

Edited by RShara

Our earliest confirmed Shard killing was Odium killing off D&D on Sel. We don't know which of the two he killed first.

Given that Odium went after Ambition almost immediately, and hit D&D when he couldn't find Ambition, I'm fairly confident that this was the first instance of a Shard killing.

I mean TBH they can't exactly be killed only splintered(IIRC). That being said, 

On 6/11/2018 at 7:16 AM, RShara said:

We don't know if other Shards have been killed by others, other than Mistborn

Hide contents

Ruin killing Preservation, and the Vin-Ruin mutual kill.

You saying this isn't correct as the shards didn't splinter or 'die', merely their vessels did. We know this because Sazed gained the abilities of the shards as Harmony.

3 hours ago, PerseusAvenger said:

I mean TBH they can't exactly be killed only splintered(IIRC). That being said, 

You saying this isn't correct as the shards didn't splinter or 'die', merely their vessels did. We know this because Sazed gained the abilities of the shards as Harmony.

I was referring to the Vessels, yes.

Adding to what @The One Who Connects said about why we can be fairly confident that Devotion or Dominion was the first Shard to be killed, we have a recent WoB that the reason why those Shards' power was stuffed into the Cognitive Realm is because Odium was inexperienced at the whole Shard Murdering thing when he went after them.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

I thought, like, at one of the signings you told me that when Odium was on Sel and Splintered the Shards there, the reason he did the Cognitive Realm hack was because he was not yet experienced in Splintering stuff.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Right. He did not want what happened to happen, but he didn't know that he didn't want what happened to happen.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

What I was getting at is, I could never find a recording of you saying "He was not experienced. He didn't want the power to be taken by anyone, and that's the only solution he could figure out." Does that sound like something you would say?

That is something I would say, yes. There are better ways to do what he wanted to do, which he later did a better job with. But there's not a lot of experimenting he could do.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

Limited number of subjects, right?

Mmhmm.

source