Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

First time poster here, so be gentle. Is it possible that the map of Roshar does not depict a spiral galaxy, but two spiral galaxies colliding with each other? Such an event would have the effect of bringing other planets, thereby other shards within closer proximity of each other. Right?Moreover, a collision of galaxies would take place over time, much in the same way a continent is shaped. I don't know what this would actually signify, but just thought I would throw my opinion out there. At least google a simulation of colliding galaxies to see what I am talking about.

I've been following this thread and enjoying everyone's speculations.  I keep coming back and hoping you've all unlocked the secrets of the maps.

but two spiral galaxies colliding with each other? 

I may have missed this suggestion further back, but maybe a black hole? Like this image.

Lift grew up in Rall Elorim, near the Reshi Sea.  She thinks to herself that Darkness followed her from Marabethia, also on the Reshi Sea.  She claims never to have been around Reshi people.  Seems hard to believe, but not really map-related. 

Maybe she thinks the food isn't good there.  Clearly she hasn't feasted on larkin roe. 

Jasnah and Shalin's route to the Shattered plains is odd.

Surely from Kharbranth one would go to Karanak and then upriver to the NW of the Shattered plains rather than the long land route via the Shallow Crypts.

I just had a thought. What if the "skill" that Peter mentioned was knowing a foreign language?

I know that Brandon has said that since Scadrial is his "Earth analogue" it had a lot that was familiar to our world. Roshar tends to be far more alien, so this may not transfer as well in this case (since Roshar has much less in common with Earth). However, what if one of the names on the map has some other meaning in a foreign language? Or even just sounds like a foreign word. In that case, it wouldn't be anything cosmere- or plot-shattering, but it still would be pretty cool, and may make sense why they were surprised no one had noticed it yet.

For instance, we know that Elend's and Straff's names have Germanic roots. In fact, "Elend" in German means "misery"--or, as an adjective, "forelorn, miserable, woeful, etc." (I had long been hoping that this was just a coincidence, but it now looks like that was on purpose.) "Straff" means tense/firm.

Maybe one of the names of the places is a little detail like that?

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker here!

Great thread guys, I think if you look at the map the continent is essentially a giant storm cloud (system) and pure lake is at the eye of that storm, may account for the low water levels there and the fact that a giant monolith/fortress once stood there.

This here is pretty much what i've been thinking for quite some time now when I look at the map. If you look at it and then google some hurricane images they're pretty similar. I don't think the Purelake is the 'eye' though. If something were to represent an eye, in my opinion it would be the little lake by Rathalas. That seems to be more centered in the large vortex of the 'hurricane' where as the Purelake appears to be on the 'tail' (please forgive my lack of hurricane/weather terminology)

Okay, one more thing I noticed. If you look at the KR surges chart compared to the (what we think is) the voidbinder surges chart, the glyphs representing the surges are all very similar.

KR: http://coppermind.net/wiki/File:TWoK_Front_Endsheet.jpg

Voidbringer: http://coppermind.net/wiki/File:TWoK_Rear_Endsheet.jpg

The KR glyphs are symmetrical across the vertical axis, whereas the void surge glyphs are the same basic shape symmetrical across a diagonal axis.

It just made me really question the shape of Roshar, which is symmetrical diagonally. I'm not exactly sure what it could mean, but I found it really interesting.

One thing I noticed is, Roshar is pretty much symetrical, almost perfectly, until you take into account Aimia. Aimia is the island that throws off the symettry. 

Maybe it actually is a place of the Voidbringers.

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker here!

This here is pretty much what i've been thinking for quite some time now when I look at the map. If you look at it and then google some hurricane images they're pretty similar. I don't think the Purelake is the 'eye' though. If something were to represent an eye, in my opinion it would be the little lake by Rathalas. That seems to be more centered in the large vortex of the 'hurricane' where as the Purelake appears to be on the 'tail' (please forgive my lack of hurricane/weather terminology)

Yes, it really looks like a hurricane. Maybe the eye is Urithiru...

This could be a coincidence, but has anyone noticed that Aimia is almost the exact same shape as from the edge of the continent near Rall Elorim, to about somewhere close to the bottom of the mountain range separating Shinovar from Azir.

Could that mean something?

If we go with the theory that the continent was created by Honor and Cultivation, Aimia could then be some form of test.

This has probably already been brought up and I'm just forgetting it, but do the mountain ranges spell anything out in the same script used by Navani in her notes on fabrials.

It has been brought up, but nobody has been able to produce a clear enough image so we can verify.

Has anyone pointed out yet that there are 10 continental divides? (and that the three greater divides form a very very squat H)

And I am not sure if this would count (as it relies on in-book knowledge as well as the map), but Purelake should be a salt-lake, yet is isn't described that way (indeed, it should also be crem-filled, as there are no mountains to give it a rain shadow.

Finally, I would guess that Icewater (lower left) was founded/discovered by people from Alethkar, as was Purelake, as both of those locations follow what otherwise seems to be an Alethkar-ish naming convention (the "name things what they are" tradition, like Unclaimed Hills, Shattered Plains, and Frostlands)

On a different train of thought, has it ever been established where magnetic north is in relation to polar north?

Maybe someone has already replied with this information...I didn't feel like reading every reply.

Concerning the compass rose on the map: the angles between North, South, Stormward, and Leeward are as follows (in degrees): 30, 15, 15, 30. Cumulatively, from one major line to the next, the angles are 30, 45, 60, and 90.

That is why some angles look bigger: they are. There isn't anything special about them, other than that. In fact, it's on most compass roses, just that the lines are rarely extended far enough for our eyes to notice.

Also, I like the idea of two clashing hurricanes. It reminds me of the highstorm and Everstorm clashing. But these types of storms aren't really described as being anything like a hurricane. Hurricanes are milder on the edges and more intense just around the eye. Highstorms don't have eyes and they are most intense at the front edge: the stormwall.

Edited by Kal

Q:  The prevailing theory on the 17th Shard is that Hoid worldhops using Shadesmar. I was wondering if you were willing to confirm or deny that?

A:  Hoid has indeed gotten between worlds before through Shadesmar.

Q:  And would you be willing to give us a hint as to how he does that?

A:  There are hints in the books. There is a hint in the very first cosmere book I released. [that would be Elantris] Which I thought was a huge hint, but so far I haven't seen anyone talking about it.  I thought for sure once people started figuring the cosmere, they would see the massive in-your-face hint I put in that book, but so far, as far as I know, no one has.  Now, the one [hint] about the map, that one I don't think is obvious. I know people have been trying to figure it out. It's going to be fun once you figure it out, but it's not something huge and obvious. The Elantris once was, like, enormously "HIIINT!"

From this WoB, it would seem that the hint in the map is something to do with travel between worlds through Shadesmar. Though I dont see how that relates to the hurricane idea.

Edited by Shardbear