[OB spoilers] Unmade and Surges

Lord Meeker

Question

We know that It is possible to bond an unmade. Re-shephir showed us this withs Shallan as well as Yelig-nar and Aesudan Kholin and Amaram. (Unless I am wrong)

Do we know how the unmade correlate to surges?

I want to know which surges you could get from bonding Sja-anat, I guess this part is speculation. :wub: If you can get surges by bonding. If not surges what would you get?

Edited by Mraize

5 answers to this question

Good question... Yelig-nar bonds in a way that is definitely not similar to a Nahel bond, so unfortunately gives us no information. Re-Shephir... She seemed to be curious and trying to "take patterns place" by clawing him away from the bond... And we have a WoB that a bond with the Unmade is possible. 

Questioner

Can the Unmade be bonded?

Brandon Sanderson

Wow, plausible... Yes, or possible, I should say.

source

As to what that would grant? I don't think we've got enough information for anything beyond wild guesses. 

Edited by Calderis

When did Shallan bond with Re-Shepir? I don´t recall anything that suggests that she did. As for Yelig-nar, that wasn´t exactly bonding. It was defenitely not a Nahel bond, in any case. He seems to be more like a parasite, who uses a host to do stuff, and then consumes the host, and needs a new one. As far as I know, we don´t know wether you can bond Unmade, but since they are spren, I suppose that you can. If they do grant surges, I would expect that it ends up being on the Voidbinding side of things though. 

So, my guess would be that you get some sort of Voidbinging from bonding Sja-anat, since she is connected to Odium, and created by him. Maybe some kind of twisted version of the Transformation surge, since she is basically transforming spren.

EDIT: @Calderis apparently posted a WoB which shows that Unmade indeed can be bonded. 

Edited by Toaster Retribution

3 hours ago, Mraize said:

I want to know which surges you could get from bonding Sja-anat, I guess this part is speculation. :wub: If you can get surges by bonding. If not surges what would you get?

I assume you would get Voidbinding rather than explicit Surgebinding. Sja-Anat in particular would also likely get into your soul-spren and corrupt that, so who knows what that would do to you.

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

When did Shallan bond with Re-Shepir? I don´t recall anything that suggests that she did.

She didn't.  When she first encounters her, however, Re-Shepir is described as clawing at the bond between Shallan and Pattern and trying inserting herself in Pattern's place.  Which curiously sounds like it could have happened if Shallan had opened herself to it.....which sounds curiously similar to how the Parshendi open themselves to spren during the storms.

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

When did Shallan bond with Re-Shepir? I don´t recall anything that suggests that she did. As for Yelig-nar, that wasn´t exactly bonding. It was defenitely not a Nahel bond, in any case. He seems to be more like a parasite, who uses a host to do stuff, and then consumes the host, and needs a new one. As far as I know, we don´t know wether you can bond Unmade, but since they are spren, I suppose that you can. If they do grant surges, I would expect that it ends up being on the Voidbinding side of things though. 

So, my guess would be that you get some sort of Voidbinging from bonding Sja-anat, since she is connected to Odium, and created by him. Maybe some kind of twisted version of the Transformation surge, since she is basically transforming spren.

EDIT: @Calderis apparently posted a WoB which shows that Unmade indeed can be bonded. 

Re-sherpirtried to break shallans bond with pattern and take it over. But if she had Voidbinding she would either have to grant the surge of light weaving or transportation because she transforms things. 

Edited by Mraize