[OB] We need more Navani

Naurock

11 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

As long as Gavinor doesn't turn out to be a crazy surgebinding prodigy, I'll be okay.

Inb4 Gavinor swears the Fourth Ideal of the Windrunners when he's three. By the time he's ten even Shallan admits that there's nothing she can teach him about drawing anymore, he beats Adolin in dueling when he's fifteen years old (and with a new Stance he came up with and developed all on his own!) and even the Stormfather is proud to call him his favorite nephew. The Nightwatcher shows up on his 18th birthday to honor him and brings him a free wish as a gift, and he wishes for world peace. Cultivation instead bonds him with the Nightwatcher and turns him into Alethi Jesus. When he's 23, he has already united all of Roshar under one happy banner and all of its inhabitants call him King. Harmony sends a personal congratulation to him, and only to him. He gets his own kandra too. And finally, the only reason why Odium doesn't return to Roshar is because he's deathly afraid of Gaviboy's mad d00lkid skeelz. 

Edited by Vissy

8 hours ago, Vissy said:

Inb4 Gavinor swears the Fourth Ideal of the Windrunners when he's three. By the time he's ten even Shallan admits that there's nothing she can teach him about drawing anymore, he beats Adolin in dueling when he's fifteen years old (and with a new Stance he came up with and developed all on his own!) and even the Stormfather is proud to call him his favorite nephew. The Nightwatcher shows up on his 18th birthday to honor him and brings him a free wish as a gift, and he wishes for world peace. Cultivation instead bonds him with the Nightwatcher and turns him into Alethi Jesus. When he's 23, he has already united all of Roshar under one happy banner and all of its inhabitants call him King. Harmony sends a personal congratulation to him, and only to him. He gets his own kandra too. And finally, the only reason why Odium doesn't return to Roshar is because he's deathly afraid of Gaviboy's mad d00lkid skeelz. 

And when he’s 24, as his birthday gift he gets all the shards together minus Autonomy and Odium. Embarrased, Rayse hands over his shard, and Gavinor invades Taldain, becoming Adonalsium. The God Beyond says “Alright, these humans know what’s up”, and vacates his position to Gavinor, leaving a 25 year old to become the most OP Sanderson character ever.

When this is all revealed to be true, remember that you heard t here first.

And, by the way, sorry for derailing the thread. I couldn’t resist.

I have really enjoyed the snippets of mama Navani- even though we didn't get to see any actual interaction, her discussion of how hard it was to parent Jasnah was facinating. She clearly loved her children but didn't always 'get' them  and I can't wait for Jasnah's book to see that rocky relationship. (added to the list of other flashback books I can't wait for!)

And when he’s 24, as his birthday gift he gets all the shards together minus Autonomy and Odium. Embarrased, Rayse hands over his shard, and Gavinor invades Taldain, becoming Adonalsium. The God Beyond says “Alright, these humans know what’s up”, and vacates his position to Gavinor, leaving a 25 year old to become the most OP Sanderson character ever.

At which point it is revealed that Gavinor is just Brandon Sanderson's version of himself in the cosmere, and the whole point of every book he's ever written is to build up to this.

If I may ask, why is such a lot of people against the idea of Adolin or Navani being radiants because there are already tooo many Kholin radiants?

I feel there's a "reason" we're following this family. Maybe something in their past, too, aside from the fact that they're at the center of all the Radiant gathering lately, so surely, lots of sprens on and off. 

It doesn't bother me at all. Elhokar gone, the remaining Kholins are caring persons ;) 

7 minutes ago, Carla Bridge Four said:

If I may ask, why is such a lot of people against the idea of Adolin or Navani being radiants because there are already tooo many Kholin radiants?

I feel there's a "reason" we're following this family. Maybe something in their past, too, aside from the fact that they're at the center of all the Radiant gathering lately, so surely, lots of sprens on and off. 

It doesn't bother me at all. Elhokar gone, the remaining Kholins are caring persons ;) 

In my case, it's because Navani and Adolin are pretty much the only non-radiant pov's we have, Adolin being by far the most prominent non-radiant. If they become Radiants, then every single pov ends up becoming a Radiant pov. I personally am interested in the struggles of a non-radiant, in a radiant world. Especially in Adolins case, where him not being Radiant is kind of a big deal, because of his importance as a soldier before the desolation. 

As far as too many Kholin Radiants, becoming a Radiant isn't exactly easy, to have an entire family become one (5 with Navani and Adolin, 6 if Elhokar hadn't died) it seems a bit much, at least to me.

2 hours ago, Carla Bridge Four said:

I'd just like to have a variety of PoVs.  All of the Kholins becoming Radiants just feels repetitive, if that makes sense?

6 hours ago, Carla Bridge Four said:

That "too many Kholin KR" thing is new(to me at least). Reasoning in the past has been different, and much more varied.

With Adolin, there's at least two rabbit holes going on(there's been... 3? 4? threads lockings so far?) in addition to the rational "Non-Radiant PoV" argument. Such and such along the lines of "is he really broken?" and "he wouldn't fit in the order," etc... It's a mess.

With Navani, I haven't seen anything like that. Other than myself and Maxal, I don't think much of anyone has expressed any real opinion on her potential Radiancy(or lack thereof). Those of us who have are on the narrative purpose bandwagon.

(I know this is gonna sound a little insensitive to the effort Brandon puts into his writing, but it's not exactly wrong either) Ignoring everything else, at their base, main characters became Radiants so that Brandon could show off the orders and what they could do. Other characters did not become Radiants so they could show off something else. The squires(while that's a bit grey now) showed off partial Radiancy, Szeth introduced and showed off the Honorblades, Dalinar/Adolin introduced Plate and Blade, Venli/Rlain demonstrate the possibility of Singer KR/Squires, etc... Navani's specialization is Fabrial-Tech.

It's not that we don't want Navani to become a KR, it's that we don't think she needs to. She has her fancy tech to help her keep up in this emerging world of magic and devilry. She can do all manner of things, without being limited to the two Surges a KR has. Per WoB, Fabrials can duplicate all ten Surges, their Voidbinding counterparts, as well as all manner of other things. Half-Shard shields, the elevated archer tower, spanreed communications, those are all part of the opening act. We've gotten our first taste of the main event with the airship sketches, and there's still 7 more books. Think of the wonders she could create in the future.

Her personal potential may be limited as a non-KR, but through widespread usage of her tech, she could influence or even change the tide of the story, at a scale no singular character(barring the Shards) could match. Think of how much of an advantage Soulcasters give to a war effort, and realize that's only 1 Surge out of 10. If she cracks the secret of Progression Fabrials, she could turn normal men into Radiant Healers, while also freeing up actual Radiant Healers(who have Shardblades, and possibly Plate) to join the fight. Thanks to the Oathgates, it's gonna be a small world, and if she can replicate Lashings, it'll get even smaller. Replicating Division could(eventually) be something on the scale that inventing the gun had on Earth. Then there's Voidbinding(I highly doubt this'll happen, but with Glys and Sja-Anat, you never know...)

She doesn't need a Shardblade to do any of this. She doesn't need Shardplate for this. She doesn't really need a Nahel Bond to do this either: As we get more KR, she'll have enough test subjects to help her learn about/understand the powers, Jasnah/Shallan's Soulcasting could provide her with the spark of an idea to try and replicate the other Surges with Fabrials, etc... Her narrative purpose(as we currently see it) revolves around Fabrials, and a Nahel Bond is not necessary for her to achieve that purpose. If she gets a Nahel Bond, congrats to her, but she appears to be perfectly capable of holding her own throughout all 10 books without it.

This is what I mean when I say I don't "see the need" for her to become a Radiant.

Please God no. Navani is the most interesting non Radiant character and I'd like to keep it that way. The world was made of people other than Radiants and I like Navani as she is. She's a perfect counter to Dalinar and as a whole a kick-chull duo. Please don't make Navani a Radiant. 

Oh and This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules gets changed to Chull? Lovely!

Ah ffs, I was just posting my appreciation to the rule! 

20 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Her narrative purpose(as we currently see it) revolves around Fabrials, and a Nahel Bond is not necessary for her to achieve that purpose. If she gets a Nahel Bond, congrats to her, but she appears to be perfectly capable of holding her own throughout all 10 books without it.

This is what I mean when I say I don't "see the need" for her to become a Radiant.

You make a good point here and I do think narrative purpose is a worthwhile lens to consider. I tend to agree with you that it doesn't serve an important narrative purpose for Navani to become a Radiant. She has her own potentially crucial skills that she brings to the table. And beyond that she doesn't need to have surgebinding to kick chull. Navani deserves some mad props for holding all the chull dung together while Dalinar had his most recent break down, for example. That definitely gave me a new appreciation for her. 

• Chaos locked this topic