Kaladin, why?

Eluvianii

So I just finished part three in WoR and. Did anyone else want to strangle Kaladin in those last moments? I had to stop reading because I couldn't concentrate after that. I mean, everything was going wonderfully, I guess it was too good to be true.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 10:10 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

He does kind of hijack the Kholin Mastermind Plan For Effectively Slaughtering Sadeas so yeah, stupid move. Then again, he didn't really understand what consequences his challenge to Amaram would bring, so wecan't blame him too much.

I mean he does hijack it quite handily but can you really blame the guy? There stands the man who in your eyes is responsible for every bad thing that's happened to you in the last few months and you might actually be granted the chance to bust him up a bit?

I dunno, I sympathize with ol' Kal on this one.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:10 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

He does kind of hijack the Kholin Mastermind Plan For Effectively Slaughtering Sadeas so yeah, stupid move. Then again, he didn't really understand what consequences his challenge to Amaram would bring, so wecan't blame him too much.

Shouldn't he have an idea what would happen though? I get that Kaladin wasn't raised in the Lighteyes courts or anything, but he has been in this world for his entire life. He's also got a VERY healthy understanding of the gap in society between Lighteyes and Darkeyes, and in general he's a very smart guy. I feel like he should've seen that coming, but I guess he didn't really plan this out ahead of time and probably just got caught up in the moment.

39 minutes ago, Strifelover said:

Shouldn't he have an idea what would happen though? I get that Kaladin wasn't raised in the Lighteyes courts or anything, but he has been in this world for his entire life. He's also got a VERY healthy understanding of the gap in society between Lighteyes and Darkeyes, and in general he's a very smart guy. I feel like he should've seen that coming, but I guess he didn't really plan this out ahead of time and probably just got caught up in the moment.

That's very likely the case. I mean we aren't talking about a simple spat or disagreement here we are talking about the man who murdered his men, branded him and sold him into slavery. Not to mention he was still riding high on the excitement and adrenaline of his fight.

Plus everyone was going on beforehand about how if you challenge someone to a duel with the King's blessing they can't really weasel out of it as easily as they normally could. He likely saw it as his only real opportunity to get Amaram back for what he did, considering that Dalinar didn't really seem all that interested in investigating the situation much further.

15 hours ago, Iron_Ape said:

That's very likely the case. I mean we aren't talking about a simple spat or disagreement here we are talking about the man who murdered his men, branded him and sold him into slavery. Not to mention he was still riding high on the excitement and adrenaline of his fight.

I think that moment shows us the negative side of stormlight. It makes you want to move, act, not think, and Kaladin fell victim to it at the height of the moment.

That said, I think this moment would have been very recoverable if Elhokar had just kept his cool, told Kaladin that of course he would honor him (even if that's a lie), but first he must listen to the demands of the original challenger (Adolin).

In my opinion, it was Elohkar's fault. Kaladin didn't foresee the consequences of challenging Amaram and was caught up in the moment. It was Elohkar that made a big deal of it and let Sadeas get away. He could have caught Sadeas first then explained the rules to Kaladin after. Kaladin did save Adolin and Renarin, so I think he should have gotten some leniency. 

• Chaos locked this topic