[OB] Szeth or Eshonia

Who do you want to be be the main POV in book four?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be the POV in book four?

• Szeth
    • Eshonia

4 minutes ago, RShara said:

It is confirmed to be Eshonai.  Szeth will be Book 5.

Is this a recent confirmation? Because Eshonai is really and truly dead, and personally, I would rather see Venli as the flashback character for book 4 than Eshonai (although Szeth would obviously be my first pick, but he's confirmed for book 5, so we'll have to wait a little longer) 

Just now, MasterJack said:

Is this a recent confirmation? Because Eshonai is really and truly dead, and personally, I would rather see Venli as the flashback character for book 4 than Eshonai (although Szeth would obviously be my first pick, but he's confirmed for book 5, so we'll have to wait a little longer) 

Eshonai was always intended to be book 4, (3 and 5 got flipped). As for Eshonai being dead, yes, she is. Brandon has said for years that it was possible for a Flashback character to be dead during their book. I suspect the present story will focus on Venli while the flashbacks will all be Eshonai.

Just now, MasterJack said:

It's been confirmed for a while.  Also, Brandon's said that he's fine with having a flashback character that's dead.  My guess is that the PoV will be Venli, with the flashbacks being Eshonai.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/116-general-reddit-2017/#e4007

Mrrobot112

Now when Oathbringer is finished have you already chose a flashback character for Stormlight 4?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. It's Eshonai.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/116-general-reddit-2017/#e8854

Windrunner

/u/Mistborn (Brandon) said that Eshonai will be the flashback character in Book 4. (source), which would indicate that she's probably still alive in some form.

But we'll see. He could've changed it or that could've been a diversion from Venli being the actual flashback character.

Brandon Sanderson

Eshonai is the flashback character--but she is dead in the present. I've warned people multiple times that we WILL have flashbacks to the viewpoints of characters who have died.

2 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Eshonai was always intended to be book 4, (3 and 5 got flipped). As for Eshonai being dead, yes, she is. Brandon has said for years that it was possible for a Flashback character to be dead during their book. I suspect the present story will focus on Venli while the flashbacks will all be Eshonai.

Gotcha. I always expected it would be one of the back 5 characters that were dead before their book. I assumed after OB that Venli would become the flashback character, but I have been proven wrong. Yes, I agree that that's what will probably happen... Thanks for the WOB's @RShara! ... I literally just thought of this, and I don't have anything to back it up, and it'll probably be proved false in about a minute, but what if Timbre is Eshonai? Yeah, that theory's not going to last long.

3 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

@RShara I literally just thought of this, and I don't have anything to back it up, and it'll probably be proved false in about a minute, but what if Timbre is Eshonai? Yeah, that theory's not going to last long.

No.

Timbre talks about how her grandfather died in the Recreance. 

Eshonai is dead and gone.  Brandon is not allowed to bring her back on pain of stern looks and lectures.

Eshonai being a Cognitive Shadow wouldn't give Venli access to surges.

Eshonai would need an extra infusion of investiture to become a Cognitive Shadow.  None of the current Shards would be likely to do that.

(Sorry, I just hate that theory with a vengeance.  Nothing personal.)

I don't think we've had WoB on it yet, but I'm pretty sure Timbre isn't Eshonai. Timbre is, most likely, a Lightspren.

Oh, and her dead Granddad might be the deadeye locked up on the ship in Shadesmar. That is pure speculation though.

Edited by Bort

1 minute ago, RShara said:

No.

Timbre talks about how her grandfather died in the Recreance. 

Eshonai is dead and gone.  Brandon is not allowed to bring her back on pain of stern looks and lectures.

Eshonai being a Cognitive Shadow wouldn't give Venli access to surges.

Eshonai would need an extra infusion of investiture to become a Cognitive Shadow.  None of the current Shards would be likely to do that.

(Sorry, I just hate that theory with a vengeance.  Nothing personal.)

Thanks! I didn't like it either, and I didn't expect it to live very long. Thanks for killing it, good riddance. ;)

I'll jump in and say that I feel like I'd really like to see Szeth's POV for book four, because I feel like where things went at the end of OB, focusing on Szeth's arc would be a very natural segue for the next book. As much as I expect the Eshonai's POV to really provide some depth on Listener culture and uncover some really interesting Rosharan history, I do find Szeth to be the more compelling of the two POVs at the moment.

I haven't been disappointed by a Brandon book yet though, so I'll withhold judgement until I've got the book in hand. 

1 hour ago, Herald Of Justice said:

Ok, I meant this as a who do you WANT book four to be about, not “it’s about Eshonia”.

Sorry, I derailed this thread -_- ... it looks like it's back on track though, so that's good :D Anyway, I'm with everyone else on this. If I could choose, I would go with Szeth, just because I want more Szeth, RIGHT NOW!!!!! But I do feel like Szeth could really grow in Book 4 in a way that colors his flashbacks differently when we finally get them, so I'm okay waiting for Book 5.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Szeth or Eshonia
2 hours ago, Herald Of Justice said:

Ok, I meant this as a who do you WANT book four to be about, not “it’s about Eshonia”.

Fair enough, how about "It's about Eshonai/Venli and I WANT it to be about Eshonai/Venli". Why you may ask? Because a main POV Listener means we will likely have way more Odium screen time. I don't want more Odium screen time, I NEED more Odium screen time. 

I'm with @The Sovereign although for different reasons. I want to know more about the Parshmen and their background and history. With the big reveal about how humans on Roshar started in Shinover, I think finding out a bit more about how that came to be, and what happened next, will fill in some gaps before we visit there with Szeth in book 5.

I think Szeth is still a crazy person, but the kind of crazy person I'd love to read more about.  Both him and Shin culture in general has been extremely opaque so far, so I suspect we would learn a lot from his flashbacks.  What did he see and say that caused him to be condemned by his people?  Was pre-Truthless Szeth a kind and well balanced person?  How close was he to bonding a spren before everything went wrong?

Eshonai...I actually don't have a lot of desire to read more about.  The shift of her story to Venli was certainly surprising, but I'm just not feeling much interest in either of their pasts at this point.  I'm sure Brandon can surprise me with something amazing, but Eshonai/Venli are on the lower end of my internal list of characters I want to know more about right now.

I wish book 4 were Szeth, but its 90% sure going to be Eshonai. Brandon could always change his mind on what flashbacks fit best, but its unlikely. While Listeners are interesting, Szeth and the Shin are on the top 5 of mysterious Rosharan things I want to know more about. Maybe even top 3 after Heralds and the 3 Shards.

I would rather the next book focus on Eshonai/Venli.  I came away from OB wanting to learn more about Venli than Szeth, mainly because Szeth at the very end seemed to assimilate in with the other Radiants - he is part of the Dalinar-Kaladin-Shallan group now, instead of a different and mysterious entity like he's always been.  Venli, however, has a very unique position in the story at the moment, as separated from the other main characters and part of Odium's entourage, and I feel like we will learn much more from her point of view about Roshar and Odium and the Desolations than we would from Szeth.

Szeth's mission to purge Shinovar would be a very interesting plot thread to follow, but I think at the moment that Venli is more central to the momentum of the story - it makes mores sense from a storyline perspective to focus on her character than it does to focus on Szeth.    

And I also want to learn more about the Listeners and the Dawnshards and the Heralds and the Unmade and the Odium-Fused Honor-Radiants situation - my main questions about the series at this point all center on the ancient history of Roshar, and those would be addressed much more in a Venli storyline than one about Szeth.

Edited by Llarimar

• Chaos locked this topic