Spoilers- Kaladin's extra blade

zandi

Why does he need a blade?

I just like him with a blade :P  Other than that -In case he needs to defend himself?   In a battle - he might not have a choice and his surge binding abilities might not be enough/optimal at a critical moment.

I think Dalinar will be one of those. His days as the Blackthorn are over and now his path is to unite Roshar and coordinate the defense against the Voidbringers. Over the next several books he will become too important to be risked on the battlefield.

I agree- but he might not have a choice in the matter if someone comes at him with a shard/honor blade.

He is then interrupted by Navani. But it seems to me is wants to talk to Dalinar about the Honorblade, which he was about to indicate. I doubt he wants to haul it around with him when he heads to Hearthstone, so it makes sense he would leave it with Dalinar

totally agree

I can't imagine that in the next eight books there will never come a time when Dalinar needs to fight with something beefier than a regular old steel sword. That could be the cue for Stormfather to decide that yes, fine, just this once he'll actually help his Radiant out in a fight (and you can't deny that Dalinar fighting with a Blade that literally holds the power of the Highstorms would be friggin' awesome), but he might also pick up an Honorblade in that situation, if they happen to have one lying around.

I think, even if Dalinar does not use the honorblade, that it is now in his keeping.

This is when Kaladin arrives at Urithiru

He is then interrupted by Navani. But it seems to me is wants to talk to Dalinar about the Honorblade, which he was about to indicate. I doubt he wants to haul it around with him when he heads to Hearthstone, so it makes sense he would leave it with Dalinar.

It does seem likely, but he'll probably do whatever Syl tells him to do with it.  Maybe he'll bond with it and just leave it discorporeal to keep it out of anybody's hands.

Question: Is Dalinar currently holding an honorblade? I thought he got it from Taln, which would imply that it is one, but WoB is that you don't have to bond an honorblade, and Dalinar took a week pretending to be sick to bond it.  Any clarifications?

The general consensus is that Wit/Hoid swapped Taln's Honorblade with a regular Shardblade at the end of Book1. The descriptions of both of the blades no not match up.

Question: Is Dalinar currently holding an honorblade? I thought he got it from Taln, which would imply that it is one, but WoB is that you don't have to bond an honorblade, and Dalinar took a week pretending to be sick to bond it.  Any clarifications?

It's clear that Dalinar doesn't have an Taln's Honorblade.  Aside from the fact that an Honorblade wouldn't scream the way Dalinar's did, the descriptions of their appearances are completely different (long and narrow for Taln's, cleaver-like for the Blade Dalinar bonded with and dropped later).  General consensus is that Hoid took the Honorblade and swapped it for a "regular" Shardblade.

This occurred to me as well that someone could theoretically become a Super Herald - I really hope this is not how it works. I think probably that if you get surges from an honor blade getting another does not double your abilities. There is WoB in the Houston signing that someone who has a shard blade and and honor blade might get some compounded power, but not2x which makes me think (hope) that it might be similar for 2 honor blades...

Q: If a windrunner picked up that blade, would their abilities be enhanced?
A: There would be some compounding but strength is not as much an issue with surgebing as is the strength of the spren bond and how much stormlight you are using.

link here at#7

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6743-brandons-answers-in-houston-311-signing/

Edited by zandi

I do not think Brandon Sanderson would let any of the other KRs have the Honorblade because it would essentially make them like Kaladin but also with the ability to draw on the other surges which come with their order, it would make Kaladin's powers pointless. If anyone will get the Honorblade I would expect it to be one of Kaladin's squires, the ones he gets as a Windrunner, or a different regular person. I do not think that Adolin will get the Honorblade as he does not seem to hold the same sense of honor as Kaladin has, and he uses Shardplate which is incompatible with Lashings and Windrunning.

There is no reason to match a honorblade's original herald attributes to the new blade's owner. I even see Kaladin giving Adolin the blade because they are buddies now :) But really I don't think this will happen :D

My first instinct is to say nobody gets it, since it's too much power left unchecked. However, they can't afford that. They need their numbers. It's only 4 of them. They need to be able to go places quick, and the blade allows them to do that. So they SHOULD use it.

But who to use it?

* Dalinar is a good candidate, since he has no shards, and it would be useful for him to quickly go to world leaders, make a demo of his powers, and convince them. Not for self-defence, since I think he can sugebind his way of of threats. But I don't think this will be his role. I think he will not leave Urithiru soon. Even for Kholinar, he should rather send Renarin or Elhokar or both there.

* One of Kaladin's squires - THE LOPEN! But again, this would already increase one's powers, one who can already use stormlight.

* Adolin - makes a lot of sense, because he's a great swordsman, so it's hard for him to lose it in battle, and also he has proven himself as a good guy. Also he's trusted not to run away with it :) But Adolin is already a shard-bearer, it makes more sense to give it to someone who is not.

* Zahel would be an interesting choice, but we don't know his current standing in terms of trust.

* One of the Bridge 4 that is not a squire, since he's close to Kaladin and Kaladin can train him in Windrunner's abilities... And here I would like to nominate Shen. This would allow Shen to save his people (the ones that ran away), and form a bridge between them.

My top 3 would be Adolin, Shen and Vasher.

Edited by marianmi

Shennnnnn!!!! (or Rlain) Awesome idea - up vote! Why did I not think of that????  :wacko:

I love it!

I'd almost rather see that than Dalinar. 

Flipping a coing to figure out which is more likely....

I'd love if Rlain got the Blade. It might even prevent Voidspren from forcefully bonding with him. I really doubt anyone but Dalinar or Adolin will get the Honourblade. As Syl has already told Kaladin, Honourblades represent a LOT of power that is left unchecked. I don't think Adolin will get it because he is most practiced with a Blade and Plate. Since Honourblades interfere with Plate, Adolin getting the Honourblade is unlikely. Dalinar may get it for self-defense purposes. But I think Kaladin won't give away the Honourblade all that easily. 

Copying my topic from this thread:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6668-who-is-going-to-get-an-honorblade-full-book-spoilers/#entry108729

"So, at the end of the book, team Dalinar/Kaladin has Szeth's honorblade.  Who do you think is going to end up with it?  No obvious answers spring to mind.

Bridge 4 seems like they're already going to get Windrunner powers through their connection with Kaladin.

Adolin, not being bonded to a spren seems like an okay candidate, but the Honorblade wouldn't work while he's in plate, and that's one of his main assets - being a Plate and Blade duelist.

Dalinar, Shallan, Renarin and Kaladin are all Radiants with their own spren/blades.  Wouldn't stop them I guess.  Kaladin could bond with it just to keep it safe, but it seems like a wasted resource.

Who's left?  Navani?  Shen (I forget his new name)?  Man, Shen with an honorblade might be a force."

It was later pointed out to me that Dalinar actually doesn't have a blade and is a pretty good candidate.

Edited by PudgyNinja

I wonder if Shen can use an honorblade. We know he can't bond with spren like humans but since honorblades are fundamentally different does it mean it will still work? Would be cool if he instead changed forms via an honorspren and got Honorform! 

I wonder if Shen can use an honorblade. We know he can't bond with spren like humans but since honorblades are fundamentally different does it mean it will still work? Would be cool if he instead changed forms via an honorspren and got Honorform! 

It's unclear.  Parshendi can bond with spren, but obviously the effects are very different from the way humans do it.  Maybe Shen could use the Blade, but instead of getting surges, he would have access to a new, powerful form only available via Honorblades.

• Chaos locked this topic