Words of Radiance Reactions (SPOILERS)

Chaos

If I understand the logistics of it, people don't actually go to Shadesmar, they just shift their perception to see how it looks like around them. This being said, Jasnah can go in there, because she has control over the Surge of Transportation - which is probably what happened. She was stabbed, the mercenaries left her there confident she was dead (one of them drove a knife through her chest and it came out out from her back, after all), at which point she must have drawn in some Stormlight, healed up (at least partially) and Transported herself to Shadesmar.

No i dont think thats true, at the end of the book she appeared from nowhere as if traveling from one realm to another. Spren appear out of nowhere when they temparirily cross over when something happens to trigger them.

When you say the knife went through her back she was lying on the floor so it could have passed straight through her because she was half in shademyr like i suspect. I know it can be done because shallan does it when she tries to light a fire.

Also if stormlight was involved with jasnah she would have been glowing as the cabin wasnt lit. Jasnahs body wasnt in the doorway when shallan exits, i think she assumed the men took her body up onto the deck but i think she transported herself into shadesmyr.

Edited by Era

When the highprinces first meet Shallan......

“What I’m having trouble understanding is why anyone would want to be closer to Sebarial than they need to be” – Dalinar

“Oh, Uncle Sebarial is quite tolerable, once you get used to him.  Like a very annoying noise that you eventually learn to ignore.” – Shallan

I thought this particular exchange was quite funny, though that doesn't really seem like something Dalinar would say.  It's more of a Shallan / Wit line, no?

Also, why is it that no one (except Rock) can see Syl unless she wants them to but everyone seems to be able to see Pattern?

Edited by kogs

It was awesome!! :D  :D

I just realised that nobody importand died. :) 

Shardblade are sprens.. I knew it!! But they can be so much more than blades.

The Shin have the Honorblades.

Renarin is a Radiant.

Dalinar bound the Stormfather.

Kaladin and Shallan in the chasms - hilarious!

Boots!!

And Nightblood!

Too many things happend.. 

Trying really hard not to say anything that was discussed at length already.

The part that honestly got the best reaction from me was... Veil. 

I guess it just really brought me back and is in a way a counterpart to Vin in Mistborn, who is a lower-class thief posing as a noblewoman in the first book, whereas Shallan is a noblewoman posing as a lower-class thief. I guess the whole idea of Shallan making up this whole alter-ego out of the blue was extremely telling about her character and her eagerness to actively seek danger just to get the answers she needs. And also brings her extremely active imagination into somewhat of a real-life fruition beyond simply drawing all the time. 

I was always a firm believer that the facades one puts up about themselves are extremely telling about who they really are by showing what they wish they could be. 

Also, Shen/Rlain gets mad respect. I was super relieved when I saw him turn up as a non-Voidbringer, because seeing one of the other main characters forced to kill him would have broken my heart.

Of the interludes I think Ym was my favorite (everyone talks about Lift but I found myself disliking the character; she could be pretty grating). And who knows? Maybe that urchin kid that Ym healed will be important later. 

Also, I'm a little disappointed to not see a continuation of the Galladon/Demoux/Other guy arc, but that's not really that important. Roshar characters come first, after all! Kolo? I'm sure they'll turn up soon. 

•  (Also, the "Elhokar is Dalinar's Tien" moment actually made me choke up a little.)

Dude, every time Tien gets mentioned I choke up, EVERY TIME :( That line hit me like a truck..the whole page was leading up to it, then bam! It actually made me feel sick, since in a way I was supporting that Elhokar needed to go (even though I hated the idea of killing him); I felt so bad. After feeling bad that whole page for letting down Elhokar and Dalinar, he rips in with that and my eyes just shot open! Felt like a guilty kid who had been really mean to his sibling for no reason at all; I felt evil and horrible and sad. 

So you can imagine when Kaladin sticks up for him...bleeding through his lips as he spoke the words, I very nearly exploded ;)

Great story arc there!

Yes, seeing everything explained it's very obvious - with this much detail it wouldn't be a fakeout any more I think. But I totally didn't see it, I thought it was one of the Heralds and felt clever about it! :rolleyes:

When I was introduced to Vasher I was immediately thinking of Jezrien; I thought I was pretty smart! When all the weird things happened (like the Lifesense when Kaladin approached) I thought it was a Herald power. Looking back now, totally Vasher! Time to re-read Warbreaker! Only read that once.

Edited by FeatherWriter
Please don't double post. Use the "multiquote" button for multiple responses.

It actually made me feel sick, since in a way I was supporting that Elhokar needed to go (even though I hated the idea of killing him);

I had the same impression. The book made a really compelling case for Elhokar having to abdicate. Like, a good quarter of the book was Kaladin being convinced of the necessity. Elhokar killed Moash's parents and there was never any punishment or anything. Like... I can't even really disagree with Moash's desire to kill Elhokar. Elhokar's a horrendous king, and he refused to step down when Kal said he should.

And then Kaladin decided that he needed to protect Elhokar. I was conflicted on the matter, and I felt it took away a lot of the emotional impact of Kaladin speaking the Third Ideal. I was busy questioning whether or not Kaladin was making an incredibly stupid move since I felt that Moash was worth supporting in the matter. Elhokar ordered Moash's parents to slowly waste away and die in prison, and it was hushed up by Dalinar and ugh. The excuse that it was all Roshone rang false to me.

I think the scene with Kaladin speaking the Words was supposed to be inspiring, but I was just weighing whether or not Kaladin was making the right move and looking for the reason why he would bother protecting Elhokar that didn't make him seem incredibly selfish. I loved the description of Syl becoming a Blade, but I was so conflicted.

I almost thought he was going insane under the stress of losing Syl and his wound, so he was looking for excuses or justifications and so he latched onto Elhokar-as-Tien. And then we find out Syl was never dead, just living with the Stormfather in Shadesmar because Kal pushed her back there, so my previous sadness at her death went away and I was just a big bundle of conflicted emotions.

I remain conflicted about that entire arc. My irritation at Dalinar allowing Kal to go into prison and Elhokar wanting to execute him never went away. I hope to figure out a decent set of feelings on the matter when I reread.

Edited by Moogle

That is definitely one of the more masterful parts of the book -- how Sanderson plays with your expectations and loyalties by what information he chooses to share and when. You start thinking, yeah, Elhokar IS terrible and awful. He SHOULD go. And then you get the scene where he asks Kaladin to teach him how to be a better king, where he shows real humility and confesses his shortcomings. I said aloud to my husband, "Wow! Elhokar KNOWS he's a terrible king! I didn't expect that." And then, with Kaladin, you have to struggle with those feelings of conflict.

I think it was also a masterful move on Sanderson's part to withhold Dalinar's POV for so long. I LOVE Dalinar, but it added so much to the tension that we couldn't be in his head -- just like Kaladin and Shallan couldn't -- with so much riding on what he believed, who he trusted, and what he chose to do. I was palpably and physically relieved when he finally had a POV chapter again.

And then you get the scene where he asks Kaladin to teach him how to be a better king, where he shows real humility and confesses his shortcomings.

I must have missed this - where did he show 'real humility'? I found his half-hearted apology to be pathetic, honestly.

The king looked to him. “I am sorry for what I did to you. I watched you fight to help Adolin, and then I saw you defend Renarin . . . and I grew jealous. There you were, such a champion, so loved. And everyone hates me. I should have gone to fight myself.

“Instead, I overreacted to your challenge of Amaram. You weren’t the one who ruined our chance against Sadeas. It was me. Dalinar was right. Again. I’m so tired of him being right, and me being wrong. In light of that, I am not at all surprised that you find me a bad king.”

He never says he's a bad king. His voice is not described as being apologetic, or in pain or guilty or anything. He admits to being jealous, he says he's sorry about the almost-accidentally EXECUTING him (no biggy right? I do that all the time, like when I killed off Moash's parents) and then he doesn't say he's a bad king. Indeed, he says just before this attempt:

“Well, I did ask,” he muttered to himself. “I merely have to win you over as well. I will figure this out. I will be a king to be remembered.”

This is not a humble king who is entirely aware of his shortcomings. He's started on that path, maybe, but he's lying to himself or refusing to accept something. If he was entirely truthful with himself, the Cryptics wouldn't have been run off. As of the end of the novel, I am still mostly convinced he needs to step down. I can't argue with Moash wanting him dead, really.

Edited by Moogle

Man, I loved this book. What I really like is that EVERYONE has a flaw. Some of the most important parts of the book for me were people coming to grips with their flaws or helping other people overcome theirs. Shallan working so hard to heal her brothers was just incredible. I loved the part where Wit tells her to look back at Wikim and she sees him looking at the equations she gave him. Also Balat getting control of himself. Kaladin annoyed me for most of the book because he just couldn't listen to Syl and let go of his bugbears until the whole Elkohar thing. He was freaking awesome after that, and it came from him finding peace with himself, which was cool. 

When Jasnah died, I was totally with Navani. Didn't believe it for a second. Then the book went on and she just didn't come back. The Epilogue made me so excited. Voidbringers? Already happened. Everstorm? Old news. Advice I got from the spren? Out of date. Crap.

I loved Gaz's redemption with Shallan. That was really neat. And Rlain is just the coolest. Not a fan of the Adolin-Shallan-Kaladin love triangle thing. It's just too easy for Brandon. I'm sure he's going to invert it somehow.

But really, the crowning moment of awesomeness was Shallan and Adolin's conversation (a full conversation, on a date!) about pooping in Shardplate. I've never laughed so hard in my life. The word poop is in WoR multiple times. That I did not expect.

I had the same impression. The book made a really compelling case for Elhokar having to abdicate. Like, a good quarter of the book was Kaladin being convinced of the necessity. Elhokar killed Moash's parents and there was never any punishment or anything. Like... I can't even really disagree with Moash's desire to kill Elhokar. Elhokar's a horrendous king, and he refused to step down when Kal said he should.

And then Kaladin decided that he needed to protect Elhokar. I was conflicted on the matter, and I felt it took away a lot of the emotional impact of Kaladin speaking the Third Ideal. I was busy questioning whether or not Kaladin was making an incredibly stupid move since I felt that Moash was worth supporting in the matter. Elhokar ordered Moash's parents to slowly waste away and die in prison, and it was hushed up by Dalinar and ugh. The excuse that it was all Roshone rang false to me.

I think the scene with Kaladin speaking the Words was supposed to be inspiring, but I was just weighing whether or not Kaladin was making the right move and looking for the reason why he would bother protecting Elhokar that didn't make him seem incredibly selfish. I loved the description of Syl becoming a Blade, but I was so conflicted.

I almost thought he was going insane under the stress of losing Syl and his wound, so he was looking for excuses or justifications and so he latched onto Elhokar-as-Tien. And then we find out Syl was never dead, just living with the Stormfather in Shadesmar because Kal pushed her back there, so my previous sadness at her death went away and I was just a big bundle of conflicted emotions.

I remain conflicted about that entire arc. My irritation at Dalinar allowing Kal to go into prison and Elhokar wanting to execute him never went away. I hope to figure out a decent set of feelings on the matter when I reread.

I actually took the opposite point of view here. As soon as Kaladin started even considering helping Moash kill Elhokar, I felt it was a bad idea. I was grinding my teeth the whole time, muttering "No More Dead Kholins 2014" to myself, and yelling at Kaladin for being so dumb. When the stuff with Syl started happening, I was like "I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A DUMB IDEA KALADIN. LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO HER. YOU ARE BEING A MORON, CUT IT OUT."

So, the payoff with the Third Ideal and Kaladin finally deciding to protect Elhokar and stand against Moash was incredibly satisfying to me. One of the most satisfying parts of the whole ending actually. I need to read it again, but yeah that was the part of the ending that I really adored, and was a welcome distraction to some more... unpleasant aspects of the Shattered Plains/Narak/Everstorm narrative going on.

I actually took the opposite point of view here. As soon as Kaladin started even considering helping Moash kill Elhokar, I felt it was a bad idea. I was grinding my teeth the whole time, muttering "No More Dead Kholins 2014" to myself, and yelling at Kaladin for being so dumb. When the stuff with Syl started happening, I was like "I TOLD YOU THIS WAS A DUMB IDEA KALADIN. LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO HER. YOU ARE BEING A MORON, CUT IT OUT."

Regardless of whether or not you agree with Kaladin's decision to protect Elhokar (I personally lean on 'protect Elhokar' side, but arguments both ways are compelling) the book makes it pretty clear throughout (not just at the end) that not participating in Elhokar's assassination is the right thing to do. There isn't really a lot of back and forth regarding that. Kaladin has made a decision to turn in the conspirators before the four shardbearer scene:

Kaladin ground his teeth, but unfortunately, Moash was right. This wasn’t the time.

Should have grabbed him this morning, Kaladin thought. No, what I should have done was make a decision on this days ago. It was his own fault.

“You will go on that patrol , Moash,” he said. “You don’t get to be insubordinate just because you’re my friend. Go on.”

He's trying to protect Moash (specifically mentioned slightly before the above passage) but he's already concluded that the assassins are wrong. It's only post-imprisonment that Kaladin ever really considers the conspiracy as a real possibility, and even in 'Bridges' he's second-guessing himself:

Kaladin felt sick. “We can’t do it when Dalinar is in the warcamp,” he whispered. “I won’t risk him being hurt.”

“No problem ,” Moash said. “We feel the same way. We’ll wait for the right moment. The newest plan is to hit the king with an arrow, so there’s no risk of implicating you or anyone else. You lead him to the right spot, and Graves will fell the king with his own bow. He’s an excellent shot.”

An arrow. It felt so cowardly.

It needed to be done. It needed to be.

Shortly after leaving the chasms, Dalinar pulls the trick on Amaram; already by that time Kaladin seems to have decided that the assassination plot is wrong, but that he doesn't think he can do anything about it:

“Sometimes lives must be spent for the greater good,” Kaladin said.

“Yes, exactly!”

“That’s what Amaram said. In regards to my friends, whom he murdered to cover up his secrets.”

“Well, that’s different, obviously. He’s a lighteyes.”

Kaladin looked to Moash, whose eyes had turned as light a tan as those of any Brightlord. Same color as Amaram’s, actually. “So are you.”

“Kal,” Moash said. “We can trust you, right? You’re not having second thoughts?”

“You said it yourself,” Kaladin said. “I don’t have to do anything. I just have to stay away.” What could I do, anyway? Wounded, with no spren?

Everything was in motion. It was too far along for him to stop.

The only time Kaladin is actually fully onboard is during the scene where Moash is receiving his shards (which is minutes after Kaladin's release):

He helped Moash fit one of the pauldrons to his shoulder. “I had a lot of time to think, in there,” Kaladin said.

“I can imagine.”

“The time led me to a few decisions,” Kaladin said as the section of Plate locked into place. “One is that your friends are right.”

Moash turned to him sharply. “So . . .”

“So tell them I agree with their plan,” Kaladin said. “I’ll do what they want me to in order to help them . . . accomplish their task.”

The room grew strangely still.

This is about two chapters from 'Bridges' above, by which he's already regretting it. There's really never a time in the book when Elhokar's assassination is presented as a viable option.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with Kaladin's decision to protect Elhokar (I personally lean on 'protect Elhokar' side, but arguments both ways are compelling) the book makes it pretty clear throughout (not just at the end) that not participating in Elhokar's assassination is the right thing to do. There isn't really a lot of back and forth regarding that. Kaladin has made a decision to turn in the conspirators before the four shardbearer scene:

I think the books make it clear that Kaladin regrets it almost instantly and doesn't want to go through with it, but I take issue with it being the 'right thing to do' to not assassinate him. Just because something sends Syl away doesn't make it the 'wrong' choice (obviously the Recreance happened for a very good reason), though I was very sad at Kal losing Syl. I think Kal has has hit upon something big when he talks about Syl's "stupid, simplistic morality", though he was being very rude and just who is he to question Syl anyways?

Anyways, it shows she's incredibly limited because she's a personification of a small part of the world. The fact that Syl is incapable of answering hypotheticals really irritates me. Like, REALLY irritates me. Just answer the darn question about the possible Parshendi Windrunner! Kaladin's powers are tied to Syl's morality and she can't even tell him what the 'right' way to act is. Very frustrating. I'd hate to be a Windrunner. It's a pity they and Skybreakers are the only ones with the Gravity Surge.

Kaladin has a very good point in that he feels sad about Tien trying and then dying because he failed, but Elhokar has always had the option to abdicate. Tien was conscripted. They're really not that similar. Elhokar's failures (though you could say they were successes since he obviously intended to do what he did) killed Moash's parents, and he hasn't made a compelling case that he's able to improve. Elhokar has never shown remorse about it, and Dalinar just hushed everything up. There were no consequences for Elhokar and it grates on me. I want him to step down and learn to lead in an environment where his mistakes don't lead to people dying, and then he can be king again.

(ALSO HE KILLED MOASHIES PARENTS. NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE unless he works to become a good king over the next books.)

Edited by Moogle

I think the books make it clear that Kaladin regrets it almost instantly and doesn't want to go through with it, but I take issue with it being the 'right thing to do' to not assassinate him. Just because something sends Syl away doesn't make it the 'wrong' choice (obviously the Recreance happened for a very good reason), though I was very sad at Kal losing Syl. I think Kal has has hit upon something big when he talks about Syl's "stupid, simplistic morality", though he was being very rude. It shows she's incredibly limited as a personification of a small part of the world. The fact that Syl is incapable of answering hypotheticals really irritates me. Like, REALLY irritates me. Just answer the darn question about the possible Parshendi Windrunner!

Kaladin has a very good point in that he feels sad about Tien trying and then dying because he failed, but Elhokar has always had the option to abdicate. Tien was conscripted. They're really not that similar. Elhokar's failures (though you could say they were successes since he obviously intended to do what he did) killed Moash's parents, and he hasn't made a compelling case that he's able to improve. Elhokar has never shown remorse about it, and Dalinar just hushed everything up. There were no consequences for Elhokar and it grates on me. I want him to step down and learn to lead in an environment where his mistakes don't lead to people dying, and then he can be king again.

(ALSO HE KILLED MOASHIES PARENTS. NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE unless he slowly works to become a good king over the next books.)

I actually think the reason Syl can't answer hypotheticals is due to her being a reflection of Kaladin's sense of honor ('are windspren attracted to wind, or do they make it?'); she can't answer them because Kaladin can't answer them. What Kaladin thinks is the right thing to do through pretty much the entire book is made pretty clear; he just doesn't want to admit it because initially he doesn't want to get Moash in trouble, and later because of his desire for vengeance.

That said, I do agree that how Elhokar's situation was resolved was somewhat unsatisfying. I'm not really sure you can blame him for the death of Moash's grandparents, but clearly Elhokar is not a very capable authority figure and probably should be replaced by someone more competent. Assassination is too extreme, but it'd be nice if they can find some reasonable resolution besides 'Dalinar makes all the decisions'. Given the depth of that problem, I don't think we'll see a true answer to that, but I imagine we'll see Elhokar grow up a little in the future. The main problem is that Elhokar's deficiencies seem to be hard to distill down a pithy attribute with a simple answer (e.g. Kaladin's main problem is his tendency to stereotype lighteyes); he's got a lot of development to do.

Just finished the book. Fresh impressions:

I refused to believe Jasnah was dead, and was rewarded with her return in the end. Thank you Brandon, for not drawing that reveal out until the next book. Strange how she seems to arrive late from wherever she was. Wonder where she was during all this time, or if there is some kind of time lapse of which she has limited control over (for now). Of course Wit would be there waiting for her in a strange repeat of his waiting for Taln.

Shallan was the major focus of this book, and she became instantly more awesome that she was in WoK. I feel like she really came into her own when she no longer had Jasnah to hold her hand, but rather used the memory of her as a guide on how to present herself. I find it interesting that she and her family have always called her timid, but in her flashbacks, she shows how strong she truly is by fighting against her fathers tyrannical grip upon her brothers and keeping them from succumbing to the dark cloud of depression that hovered above their heads. Knew she had killed her mother, but was intrigued that it had been in self defense. I initially thought that Shallan and Kaladin would hook up, but couldn't see how that would happen. The Shallan/Adolin pairing was clever on Brandon's part, and one I didn't see coming. And even though I sense that Shallan/Kaladin will happen in the end (thanks to the Chasm Walk) I like that it is not immediate or even certain. I could go on, but needless to say, I liked everything that Shallan brought to this book.

Kalandin somewhat frustrated me this book, which I think most can understand. It is probably intentional. It seems like Kaladin was taking two steps forward and one step back for most of the book (until he took giant leaps backwards, that is.) He had two awesome fight scenes, one with Szeth and the other in the Dueling Arena. Of course, the victory in the arena quickly went sour when Kaladin made his demand to fight Amaram. I smacked my forehead at that. I had to agree with Dalinar, Syl, and pretty much everyone else that Kaladin was being a big baby. He needed to grow up. It took most of the rest of the book for that to happen, but when he did, he was awesome again. I found his underpowered fights more awesome than his fight with Szeth as a fully powered Windrunner. And I can't forget Kaladin and Shallan's fight against that chasmfiend. Pure awesome.

Dalinar was good, as usual. Nothing truly spectacular out of him in this book except for his argument with the Stormfather and becoming a Bondsmith. Oh yeah, his denouncement of Amaram was good too. I wonder how much of this book would be different if it had remained Dalinar's book rather than Shallan's.

Adolin became one of my favorite characters in this book. He had a similar transformation as Dalinar did, with the loss of the Thrill. Cried a little inside at Shureblood's death. Killing Sadeas was a mixed moment for me. Triumph and horror. I liked that he died, and even that Adolin killed him, but something about the way it happened felt wrong, and I fear for the road Adolin might have taken with that murder. Actually shocked that Sadeas wasn't going to survive the entire series like a blistering rash that refused to leave. I guess I've gotten too used to Song of Ice and Fire...

Eshonai was an interesting character, and unsurprisingly sympathetic, until she when all voidbringer. Something is very wrong with that sister of hers... Don't think she is dead, and can't wait to learn more from her and Rlain.

I had a feeling once Adolin began "thinking" about how it was tradition to speak to one's shardblade before a duel. And then Syl confirming that new Shardblades could be made, but not going into how. I knew that the Shardblades where spren, and that it was some kind of more permanent bond between the spren and the Radiant, that the breaking of the oaths killed or broke the spren somehow. Glad to see I was right about that. Surprised to learn that Szeth had an Honorblade (what I had dubbed a Heraldblade before learning they were the same thing...)

I cheered "YES!" when The Lopen began harnessing stormlight and regrowing his arm. Another Edgedancer, maybe?

Again, I could go on for quite some time. This book had so much information, but it still left me wanting more. This book was great, even a little better than its predecessor, I think.

By the way, anyone else feel that the image (provided both in words and by picture) of the post-pupate chasmfiends was rather chilling?

Anyways, that's all I got fresh in my head. 12/10 Stars!!

Edited by The Dwarf in the Sphere

Definitely agree with your view on Adolin; both growing into an amazing character but also disturbing that at the very end. I'm pooping in my shardplate over this, very concerned!

Lopen regrowing his arm is just stormlight mojo, like Kal restoring his arm; not related to a certain order. UNLESS Ahesion was used (pressure, vacuum) to really PUSH the stormlight through.

Venli is definitely an evil something! She may end up becoming a pivotal baddy character harnessing some odium juice. Will be exciting and terrifying to see.

Dalinar tricking Amaram was both honourable and epic! Showed he had Kals back and also sassed the crap outa Amaram!

Lopen regrowing his arm is just stormlight mojo, like Kal restoring his arm; not related to a certain order. UNLESS Ahesion was used (pressure, vacuum) to really PUSH the stormlight through.

My only problem with this is that Lopen's arm is gone, not broken, or cut up. When his arm started to regrow, I immediately thought of the growth surge that the Edgedancers and Truthwatchers share (I think I'm right on that?)

Of course, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about all this stuff as some of you are. I think it's too early to say for sure either way, though.

My only problem with this is that Lopen's arm is gone, not broken, or cut up. When his arm started to regrow, I immediately thought of the growth surge that the Edgedancers and Truthwatchers share (I think I'm right on that?)

Part of the healing done by stormlight is based on how the individual sees themselves, similar to how the awakened in warbreaker appear how they wish to appear. Brandon has said that the reason Kaladin's slave brands don't heal is because he sees that as a part of himself. In the same way, if The Lopen believes he should have an arm and is being infused with stormlight, the arm will grow back.

True, this is all speculation at this point but it seems likely based on Brandon's comments about Kaladin's brand that the arm could regrow just by using stormlight. It wouldn't need the regrowth surge.

My favorite part was when Kaladin saved Dalinar, when he got shot up into the air i was like oh no, i loved how it was written like how the other guy screamed like a bitch and Dalinar didn't make a sound he just accepted his fate. I could just picture Kaladin falling miles to try and get there before anything happened. Such a cool scene :D.

When Kaladin challenged Amaram to a dual i inwardly cringed and face palmed.

Edited by Era

Awesomeness is the word to describe this series. On the other hand, waiting another two years for next book - talking about desolation.

p.s: Sly forming into shardblade reminded me of Soul Reaver blade and this made it even more epic.

Generally, I was disappointed.
I felt like this was a more "set the stage book," a deepening of the plot, explanation of the world, and introduction to the cosmere for those who are currently NOT on this site. I understand the importance of learning rosharian history and gaining a deeper understanding of the world in which they live, but still, it was definitively not as awesome as I thought it would be.

I can only hope that brandon makes subsequent books much better as a result of this book's existence- otherwise, I will feel as though My years of waiting were all for nothing.

I've read through a few trends but not this one fully. Of course I liked the book, more like loved it. If these points have come up before sorry, haven't read through all the posts yet.

I like how the story is flowing so far, and I like Dalinar, but I don't think he is to be the true leader of the Radients, I think he will need to learn to trust others and give up power. One reason is his dead wife, why would he choose to have her whole person blocked from his memory. When he did that he was the Blackthorn. Everyone doesn't speak of her because he loved her so much, but would that stop her children? Neither Adolin or Renarin have mentioned her. What if she was like Shallans mother. Tried to kill Renarin for what she saw in him? Even if Dalinar didn't stop it personally, I can see why he would want her memory gone.