Words of Radiance Reactions (SPOILERS)

Chaos

Is anyone else wondering if the group of Parshendi that didn't take stormform and escaped will end up being allies? I could see that happening. It isn't very clear, but in some of Dalinar's visions of the desolations it sometimes sounds as if the mixing of blood and bodies on the ground could mean some parshendi fought alongside the humans. 

I have thought of that. I have this new pet theory the rogue Parshendi will redeem themselves through Eshonai by an act of faith. The war started because they murdered a Kohlin. What if they could change their allegiance by saving a Kohlin (insert a name here)?

It's quite far-fetched I agree, but this is fun.

From what I can guess, Lopen will not become a Radiant, but he and many others from Bridge 4 will become "squires" of Kaladin, also able to use stormlight, though maybe only for strength and healing. This will be like in Dalinar's vision of the Purelake Thunderclast hunt.

Do you think by being around Radients that they get these powers or were they destined. It could be Syl doing this but what do you think.

Do you think by being around Radients that they get these powers or were they destined. It could be Syl doing this but what do you think.

I've always thought the squire thing is akin to bonding. The KR is forming a bond with them which grants them access to stormlight via the KR's spren bond. Sanderson takes a lot of time showing the growing relationship between Kal and his men (as well as Shallan and her followers). In addition to characterization, I feel like it's demonstrating the growing bond between them, resulting in their squireship.

I've always thought the squire thing is akin to bonding. The KR is forming a bond with them which grants them access to stormlight via the KR's spren bond. Sanderson takes a lot of time showing the growing relationship between Kal and his men (as well as Shallan and her followers). In addition to characterization, I feel like it's demonstrating the growing bond between them, resulting in their squireship.

So wouldn't that mean that Kals Dad and mom will become squires as well. 

I don't think so, since he hasn't seen them in years, and specifically decided not to return when his army service would have been complete. They don't exactly have much of a relationship any more.

I don't think I would like that. I would prefer if his parents are not surgebinders. I would like to see them with a small child of 3 or 4 years old, a daughter, Kal's sister and an apprentice for Lirin. I would be absolutely thrilled if this daughter turns out, in the second half of stormlight, to be the one to fulfill Lirin's dream by becoming a great surgeon trained in Karbranth (? spelling, sorry).

I don't think I would like that. I would prefer if his parents are not surgebinders. I would like to see them with a small child of 3 or 4 years old, a daughter, Kal's sister and an apprentice for Lirin. I would be absolutely thrilled if this daughter turns out, in the second half of stormlight, to be the one to fulfill Lirin's dream by becoming a great surgeon trained in Karbranth (? spelling, sorry).

Maxal i wouldn't be so optimistic about kal maybe sister type deal. there is a likely probability they got killed because of Roshone, or maybe the ever storm hits before he arrives. The day he meats his dad again could be the saddest or happiest moment in the series for kal and everyone else.

Edited by StormingStorm

I don't think so, since he hasn't seen them in years, and specifically decided not to return when his army service would have been complete. They don't exactly have much of a relationship any more.

Delightful remember what happened in the first book, were Roshone sent the townspeople against Lirin and he did something with those spheres that made him or the sphere grew blindingly light because of something he did. Is he already kind of a Radiant.  

Maxal i wouldn't be so optimistic about kal maybe sister type deal. there is a likely probability they got killed because of Roshone, or maybe the ever storm hits before he arrives. The day he meats his dad again could be the saddest or happiest moment in the series for kal and everyone else.

Well some things are bound to have a happy ending, besides we know Kal's parents are still alive. Despite his grudge, Roshone would not have executed the town's only surgeon.

Delightful remember what happened in the first book, were Roshone sent the townspeople against Lirin and he did something with those spheres that made him or the sphere grew blindingly light because of something he did. Is he already kind of a Radiant.  

If you're referring to the would-be thieves, I seem to remember just that Kal was blinded by Lirin suddenly pulling off the cover in the middle of the dark night, nothing supernatural (or rather, outside of nature's Agreement Between Friends :P) that I remember. But we all know how good Brandon is with easter eggs, so I might just go back and reread the scene sometime soon. Unless you're referring to something else entirely?

Well some things are bound to have a happy ending, besides we know Kal's parents are still alive. Despite his grudge, Roshone would not have executed the town's only surgeon.

well he did kill his son in his eyes.

Yes and he took revenge by sending Lirin's son to his death. I think the matter is most likely close.

Roshone never intended to send Kal the apprentice surgeon. He intended to conscript Tien the 3rd apprentice to the carpenter, effectively useless to the town. While he may have been satisfied in that moment for sending off both of Lirin;s sons at once, I'm not convinced that he intended to get rid of the town's only apprentice surgeon. And if things got ridiculously bad, most likely Hesina would have forced Lirin to leave (which I say because Lirin wouldn't want to leave the townspeople without a surgeon, while she strikes me as the most practical of the couple). I don't think Roshone would have deliberately killed Lirin, not unless something ridiculous happened.

Edited by Delightful

Roshone never intended to send Kal the apprentice surgeon. He intended to conscript Tien the 3rd apprentice to the carpenter, effectively useless to the town. While he may have been satisfied in that moment for sending off both of Lirin;s sons at once, I'm not convinced that he intended to get rid of the town's only apprentice surgeon. And if things got ridiculously bad, most likely Hesina would have forced Lirin to leave (which I say because Lirin wouldn't want to leave the townspeople without a surgeon, while she strikes me as the most practical of the couple). I don't think Roshone would have deliberately killed Lirin, not unless something ridiculous happened.

I always thought he never intended to send Kal to the war mostly because he couldn't, he was protected. Had Kal been any other apprentice, he would have chosen him over Tien. If I recall properly, most people were quite horrified Roshone was sending a small, quiet 13 years old to war.

Anyway, I quite agree that Roshone will most likely leave Lirin alone as he is too valuable to the town.

It's been a while since I've looked at tWoK, so I might be totally wrong here.

If ...

I don't think Roshone would have deliberately killed Lirin, not unless something ridiculous happened.

I ...

Anyway, I quite agree that Roshone will most likely leave Lirin alone as he is too valuable to the town.

The Roshone I remember:

• used his influence to have Moash's grandparents thrown in a dungeon for the "crime" of competing with him in business
  • would stop at very little to get the spheres from Kaladin's family
  • is in a society that teaches that darkeyes aren't as important
  • may have "forced" Laral to marry him so he could hang onto her money
  • After having his life saved, chooses to resent the surgeon who couldn't save his son
  • lives on a world where "Odium reigns"

I think Roshone will do anything he can to get away with in order to get his hands on the spheres.  If he can hurt Lirin and Hesina in the process: bonus!  The town losing their surgeon seems like a minor consideration for him.  If he gets a non-emergency condition, he can get treatment somewhere else, and nobody else really matters to him except maybe Laral. 

Or devoured by a demon-whitespine after an increasingly bizarre series of crossover battles.

do tend to wonder how you're climbing the Top Rep list so quickly, but then I see comments like this...!

do tend to wonder how you're climbing the Top Rep list so quickly, but then I see comments like this...!

Nah, the real secret is that he's like shakespear and doesn't really exist. It's actually a multitude of posters working together to craft just the right comments to garner rep.

Nah, the real secret is that he's like shakespear and doesn't really exist. It's actually a multitude of posters working together to craft just the right comments to garner rep.

The Council of Rep is detected, my bretheren. The infidels have discovered our true plan. It is time to... accelerate our plans.

I mean, uh, you're totally wrong. I'm just one person. One person who probably cracks too many jokes. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My first reaction was "I want more of this... NOW!" haha. 

The story inside the story is getting more and more interesting.

Adolin and Sadeas... that was surprise to me, i never see the thing ending like this.(which is good maybe some Adolin twist after all)

Jasnah, i kinda missed her in this book, i guess we will know more what happened with her in book 3.

I expected to see more of Renarin.

Szeth + Nightblood was w.t.f. moment for me.

Overall Brandon didnt dissapoint again, great book. 

Edited by Valentin