[OB] The future for Rock

bdoble97

Well, to keep the metal from warping it would have to add strength to the bow. So if Rock turns off the fabrial briefly while he draws it (reducing the draw strength) then reactivates it as he lets go (causing the metal to spring back into shape) that might have the desired effect.

3 hours ago, ccstat said:

Well, to keep the metal from warping it would have to add strength to the bow. So if Rock turns off the fabrial briefly while he draws it (reducing the draw strength) then reactivates it as he lets go (causing the metal to spring back into shape) that might have the desired effect.

I'm no artifabrian, but I'm pretty sure turning it off just gets you a bow that's just as hard to bend but less springy, and turning it back on again after you somehow draw it gets you a warped bow that's hard to straighten.

15 hours ago, ccstat said:

The draw weight of a bow comes from how strung it is. The stronger and more flexible the limb, the more you can bend it when you string it. Reducing the strength of the limb while it is strung would just cause it to fail.

43 minutes ago, stonedshaman said:

So does this mean that rock is going to bring the horneaters into dalinar's coalition now that he is a shardholder and defacto  king of the horneaters 

I really hope so I like I've said before imagine a massive Army of horneaters they probably could be a devastating force on the battlefield. 

2 minutes ago, WardenGiggles said:

I think it was likely Rock's amplified strength that let him shoot the shardbow, but wouldn't you be able to lash the arrow/spear backwards and the bow itself forwards to achieve the same effect without that strength? I'd guess that would be pretty hard to do accurately though.

Theoretically. Each Lashing only gets you a pull equivalent to the normal weight of the thing, though. The pull weight on a bow is going to be some huge multiple of its actual weight, and even more the weight of its projectile, so it would take a while to use Lashings to fire a grandbow, I think.

And it would probably be faster and more accurate to just Umpty-Lash the arrow at the person you want to shoot and leave the bow alone.

27 minutes ago, Ookla the Busker said:

Theoretically. Each Lashing only gets you a pull equivalent to the normal weight of the thing, though. The pull weight on a bow is going to be some huge multiple of its actual weight, and even more the weight of its projectile, so it would take a while to use Lashings to fire a grandbow, I think.

And it would probably be faster and more accurate to just Umpty-Lash the arrow at the person you want to shoot and leave the bow alone.

Right, he could have lashed it multiple times, and that plus his strength would let him shoot the shardbow. But I agree, it would be simpler to just lash the arrow at someone many times, though I think you'd have to do that over a short period of time wouldn't you? As in you couldn't just lash it 10 times all at once? 

10 minutes ago, WardenGiggles said:

Right, he could have lashed it multiple times, and that plus his strength would let him shoot the shardbow. But I agree, it would be simpler to just lash the arrow at someone many times, though I think you'd have to do that over a short period of time wouldn't you? As in you couldn't just lash it 10 times all at once? 

Yeah, from what we've seen it looks like each new Lashing takes a small but nonzero amount of time.

• 2 months later...

So, Rock has a Shardblade and Plate. He  is, according to Horneater legend, therefore going to be the first Horneater King. But there are problems, like the forces of Odium hijacking the Peaks and Cultivation's Perpendicularity. So, he is going to need some help.

What if Rock doesn't go straight home, but instead visits the Valley, and bonds the Nightwatcher? Cultivation's "Godspren" would be a brilliant ally against the Fused in the Peaks, and Cultivation herself does have a reason for wanting the Peaks to be peaceful - namely her Shardpool is there.

30 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

Personally I want Rlain to bond the Nightwatcher. Rlain for Bondsmith 2k18.

Rock. Rock for Bondsmith 2018.

He's the first Horneater to get Shards, so according to Horneater legend will become King of the Peaks. The Horneater Peaks is also the home of Cultivation's Perpendicularity. Who better to save the Peaks/Perpendicularity than the Nightwatcher and Rock as her Bondsmith?

If our theories about Urithiru and the Sibling are true, what about Rlain bonding the Sibling to provide the Singers with a home? That idea just occurred to me, but I do like it.

10 minutes ago, Bort said:

I'll admit, I'm also hoping for a Navani/Sibling pairing, but Rlain does have possibilities.

I thought I was alone with this Navani thing! Bur Rlain's loneliness makes me love him so much that I'd be very pleased with him bonding someone as lonely as him: the abandoned sibling.

1 hour ago, Carla Bridge Four said:

I thought I was alone with this Navani thing! Bur Rlain's loneliness makes me love him so much that I'd be very pleased with him bonding someone as lonely as him: the abandoned sibling.

Nope, you're not alone. I think the Queen of all Fabrials will make a perfect partner for the Spren of all Fabrials :)

• Chaos locked this topic