Therory jasnah falls in love with kaladin

ddleg

No. This just screams no to me on so many levels.

Firstly, is probably because I'm hoping for an aro/ace Jasnah, or some variation upon that. 

But, also, I don't think their personalities would work well together. Kaladin is working towards being very morally correct, whereas many of Jasnah's actions are morally problematic to say the least. Whilst the society might not find anything wrong with it, I find it very unlikely that Kaladin would be ok with it. I feel that if/when they meet, Kaladin would be dubious about her, and even more so if he knew the extent of her moral code.

Also, Kaladin seems a bit too rough and tough for Jasnah who is very calm and collected. I think they would come to respect each other, but I couldn't even see a close friendship forming between the two at the moment.

I have thought this before. But I really like the idea of Kal and Syl relationship growing to something.  Mabe she coukd some how gain physical form. I have thought it would be cool if they had a child and in the later 5 books thier child could be a character 15 years latter following a half human/spren cold he cool what type of powers they could have. 

I actually ship Jasnalla. I imagine that (BoM SpoilersKhriss approaches Jasnah similarly to how she did Wax in New Seran and the two inevitably fall in love as Jasnah joins Khriss on her adventures across the Cosmere to discover the truth about everything. Both seem very sapiosexual to me, and it isn't a stretch at all for a situation like that to develop.

Edited by Amanuensis

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2016 at 5:59 PM, bdoble97 said:

I have thought this before. But I really like the idea of Kal and Syl relationship growing to something.  Mabe she coukd some how gain physical form. I have thought it would be cool if they had a child and in the later 5 books thier child could be a character 15 years latter following a half human/spren cold he cool what type of powers they could have. 

Wow, never would have thought it, but this sounds great! I support Kal and Shallan but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this!

As for Jasnah/Kaladin, I can't help but feel that Jasnah, in all her wisdom and poise, would find him to be slightly insufferable and naive. As much as we love Kal, he's still going to be growing and learning from his experiences, he's only 20 after all. She'll probably see him the way she sees Adolin.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:52 PM, Amanuensis said:

I actually ship Jasnalla. I imagine that (BoM SpoilersKhriss approaches Jasnah similarly to how she did Wax in New Seran and the two inevitably fall in love as Jasnah joins Khriss on her adventures across the Cosmere to discover the truth about everything. Both seem very sapiosexual to me, and it isn't a stretch at all for a situation like that to develop.

I had never thought of this before! I would be perfectly fine with Jasnalla. It would be an interesting duo, to say the least. I've always loved Jasnah's internal struggle, and being in an "intellectual affair" (a la Alexander Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler) per se, especially with such a character as Khriss, would be just up her alley.

Plus we need more LGBT. I know we're getting Drehy and his boyfriend soon, and Shallan is canon bi (represent) but it'd be cool in general for this to happen.

It would be the Cosmere alternative to that strange Doctor Who Season 9 ending (but with characters with actual depth this time :P)

I'm down.

10 minutes ago, PlanetReelo said:

Wow, never would have thought it, but this sounds great! I support Kal and Shallan but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this!

As for Jasnah/Kaladin, I can't help but feel that Jasnah, in all her wisdom and poise, would find him to be slightly insufferable and naive. As much as we love Kal, he's still going to be growing and learning from his experiences, he's only 20 after all. She'll probably see him the way she sees Adolin.

I agree with the latest statement: Jasnah sees Adolin as a boy. It seems plausible she would see Kaladin as yet another immature boy.

11 minutes ago, maxal said:

I agree with the latest statement: Jasnah sees Adolin as a boy. It seems plausible she would see Kaladin as yet another immature boy.

Besides, Jasnah is Adolin's aunt. 

While Jasnah might be all for throwing out gendered traditions, I doubt she would still be interested in marrying down. Of course, if Kaladin is a KR, then would it really be marrying down? She is definitely going to need someone her intellectual equal.  

25 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

Besides, Jasnah is Adolin's aunt. 

While Jasnah might be all for throwing out gendered traditions, I doubt she would still be interested in marrying down. Of course, if Kaladin is a KR, then would it really be marrying down? She is definitely going to need someone her intellectual equal.  

She is his cousin, not his aunt even if she is old enough to be a "young aunt" to him considering how young your average Alethi gets married. I find it amusing everyone insists on referring to Adolin as a "boy" when, by all means according to their traditions, he should already have one or two kids of him own.

As for Jasnah, I personally need to read more of her before making my mind as to whether or not she would/should end up in a romantic ship. I am currently leaning on the "no" because I enjoy her "independent woman act", wanting to steer away from the gendered tradition. 

As for Kaladin, I do not find his intellect would be the one Jasnah is looking for based on my interpretation of what her character might want/like in other people. Of course, I may be wrong, but these two really seem ill-matched to me. 

16 hours ago, maxal said:

She is his cousin, not his aunt even if she is old enough to be a "young aunt" to him considering how young your average Alethi gets married. I find it amusing everyone insists on referring to Adolin as a "boy" when, by all means according to their traditions, he should already have one or two kids of him own

Pardon, Maxel, you are right. 

There was an interesting WoB in an interview Brandon did while in Spain regarding everyone except Jasnah... maybe. 

Spoiler

In Stormlight I decided that my love story would be between the middle-aged people, not the kids. Kaladin does not have a romance, Shallan does but there is a twist involved, Dalinar and Navani are the ones having a romance. 

http://www.jotdown.es/2016/12/brandon-sanderson-i-want-to-show-in-my-writing-that-there-is-something-inherently-good-inside-human-beings/

I wouldn't see this as completely definite, as he gives his characters room to grow and act on their own. 

Edited by ZenBossanova

2 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

Pardon, Maxel, you are right. 

There was an interesting WoB in an interview Brandon did while in Spain regarding everyone except Jasnah... maybe. 

Hide contents

In Stormlight I decided that my love story would be between the middle-aged people, not the kids. Kaladin does not have a romance, Shallan does but there is a twist involved, Dalinar and Navani are the ones having a romance. 

http://www.jotdown.es/2016/12/brandon-sanderson-i-want-to-show-in-my-writing-that-there-is-something-inherently-good-inside-human-beings/

I wouldn't see this as completely definite, as he gives his characters room to grow and act on their own. 

Well, this is disappointing... I hope he meant the first two books and this statement is not testimony to the future of SA. Not that I mind Dalinar and Navani, but I would really prefer if the romance focuses on the younger cast. Older people getting together just doesn't have the same impact/drama as younger people doing it, where everything is new and fresh. Dalinar and Navani just aren't... very interesting, more like an old married couple which is great and everything but I mean... huh Shallan/Adolin is much more adorable, IMHO. Or any other ship of your preference. 

I would personally be disappointed if the first arc ended up with none of the kids being an item, whichever one. It is just wrong. Mind, not all characters need a romance, but some of the kids should at the very least get one.

17 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I sort of want more exploration of Shallan being canon bi, because that could play into the "twist" thing.

The actual WoB on that is a bit ambiguous. It is possible for Shallan, but it is certainly not written in stone... or metal. 

Spoiler

Q: "Every time Shallan thinks abt Jasnah it's so gay which is #relatable, @BrandSanderson did u realize how bi u wrote her?? either way thank u"

A: "This wasn't directly on my mind while writing, but looking back, I think it was in my subconscious. I'm flattered to hear it."

And elsewhere...

Q: "Do you have any other characters you could see not being very straight? As a gay fan it means a lot to hear about Shallan."

A: "Drehy the bridgeman is gay, and we will meet a romantic interest for him in the next book. There are others."

1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

Of course, we all said the same thing about Shallan before Words of Radiance. 

What do you mean? What did you say about Shallan prior to WoR's release? I wasn't around back then, but going through older posts it seems to me most people were rooting for Shallan/Renarin based on what they perceived both characters would grow out to be. Turns out they were wrong as Renarin's lack of pro-activeness personality and tendency to pity himself do not mingle well with Shallan go-getter attitude which wasn't overly apparent in WoK.

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

I sort of want more exploration of Shallan being canon bi, because that could play into the "twist" thing.

She isn't really canonically bi. All Brandon said is readers might read her bouts with Jasnah as her being bisexual if it pleases them, but it wasn't within his conscious thoughts when he wrote them. In other words, he might have unconsciously made her sound as if she were bisexual, but it wasn't his intentions. Now it is done, he feels flattered people find her relatable/plausible in such ways, but I doubt he will go down this road with her. 

I personally never read any of Shallan's intervention with Jasnah as her being bisexual or anything, but I guess if the author really wanted to go there, he'd have something to base himself on. I however truly do not think it is within his plans. He has already announced Drehy was his "LGBT" character and based on passed interviews with him, I doubt he'll feel comfortable having one of his main protagonists being openly bisexual, not to forget the Alethi society does not seem particularly geared towards being open to such unions. It is a whole can of worms to open and while it might work with a very minor character with little impact to the story, as a minor side story, doing it with one of the mains implies him broaching those larger societal issues which I doubt fits within the story he wants to tell. This being said, perhaps once he gets to the second half, he'll feel differently about it and he'll write one of the main as a LGBT, we never know, but I personally do not expect it with Shallan in the short term.

8 minutes ago, maxal said:

What do you mean? What did you say about Shallan prior to WoR's release? I wasn't around back then, but going through older posts it seems to me most people were rooting for Shallan/Renarin based on what they perceived both characters would grow out to be. Turns out they were wrong as Renarin's lack of pro-activeness personality and tendency to pity himself do not mingle well with Shallan go-getter attitude which wasn't overly apparent in WoK.

Before Words of Radiance came out, almost no one even wanted a book about Shallan. She looked like an petty silly girl. Think about how much people hate Szeth. People felt that same way about Shallan. 

Or take a look at Wax and Steris in the later Mistborn books. Steris was incredibly unpopular... until the Bands of Mourning, where the romance suddenly clicked and no one could have been a better match for Wax. 

20 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

Before Words of Radiance came out, almost no one even wanted a book about Shallan. She looked like an petty silly girl. Think about how much people hate Szeth. People felt that same way about Shallan. 

Or take a look at Wax and Steris in the later Mistborn books. Steris was incredibly unpopular... until the Bands of Mourning, where the romance suddenly clicked and no one could have been a better match for Wax. 

Thanks for explaining. At the time, I admit I too was disappointed when I heard the next book would about Shallan as she struck to me as not pro-active enough to be the main protagonist of the book. I recall how her first chapter seems to give me reason which was, luckily, quickly dispelled once her ship sank. She grew on me rapidly since then and I now rank her among my favorite characters, currently standing above Kaladin.

I have always liked Steris... so I was only pleased when she took up a more prominent role into the follow-up of Mistborn.

As for Szeth, while I do not doubt his story arc will turn out much better than I am anticipating, I doubt he'll even become one of my favorite character. The reason for it merely is the themes going on around him just aren't ones I find particularly interesting and/or intriguing. A good story might still be pulled out of them of but, to me, he'll never have the appeal of an Adolin who's major themes are ones I have been dying to see brought up in a satisfying throughout a work of fantasy. Szeth might be a character I'll learn to appreciate, but he certainly never will be one of my favorites or I sincerely doubt so, but I guess, we never know. Only fools never change their minds.

Someone may have already said this but I'm going to say it now. Jasnah is interested in people who are mentally strong. She likes Shallan, because she is rather witty and shows great mental potential. So who do we know that's mentally stronger than Shallan? Managed to outwit her with 4 little words. That's right! Stick!!! The only one fit to be with Jasnah on mentally equal footing is Stick! Stick is already a world hopper as well. They have so much in common! It just works...

Shallan and Jasnah is THE BEST FINGERS CROSSED - although while I can see Shallan having a crush on Jasnah, she's probably to young for her. 

Shallan x Kaladin almost feels too obvious? I'd rather see him with Syl. I could accept Jasnah x Hoid though. 

Ugh...I'll weigh in. Kaladin will go back to Hearthstone and Laral will be married to Roshone. Kaladin will try to save Roshone, but may be too late. He will save Laral, things will be awkward, but Laral will be smitten, yada, yada, yada. She will pursue Kaladin, but Kaladin is all for Shallan, who wants Adolin for now. That is changing. I mean, even Renarin will get in on the Kaladin chrushing. But ultimately, Kaladin will end up with Lift, once she's grown up a little more. 

Jasnah will end up with Eshonai...:p Yeah, that would be weird.