[OB] Adolin-Shallan-Kaladin Discussion

Harbour

2 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

She is 20 according to this chronology. It's okay to get married but not okay to have kids? What's the point of marriage then?

She was 17 at the end of WoK. Only has been a few months since then.

1 hour ago, Arch said:

I see what you're geting at, but i think there's something you missread. For one Bridge 4 had no intention of abandoning Theylan city... They oathgated back to Urithiru so they could tell the other bridgemen the news about the Dawnsingers, but ended up getting trapped there because of the attack. Sure they were confused about their long-term goals as radiants and wanted to hear Kaladins opinion first, but abondoning the Theylans was never the plan (they led the reinforcements afterall).

Nale says that the 5th ideal gives him some "liberties", but we don't quite understand that ideal yet so its hard to say. We do however know that the ideals have a lot to do with perception and if the skybreakers sincerely thought they were breaking their oaths (or twisting them) then their nahel bonds would just start failing. Since we don't see that happening, we can conclude they at least believe that they're following their oaths (even if you personally disagree).

sorry it took so long to answer that 

Hmmmm... I just re-read when Bridge Four left TC, and they do say those were their goals, but I don’t see it stated (or implied) they were returning. Teft does say they are lost without Kaladin, so that’s something of note. It still seems mildly off to me (I mean not a big issue like the Shallan romantic arc, but a small annoyance) because it seems to serve to set up tension and a dramatic moment with B4 returning rather than an action with a solid character foundation. 

Re. Skybreakers, good point re Nale being at the 5th ideal. I didn’t know about the special circumstances there! I still find that there’s too much flexibility in any Radiant oath to sweep aside the issue of Szeth’s immediate acceptance by our heros in the book though. Enough people have made reasonable points, though, so I’ll accept it!

1 minute ago, Awesomness said:

jaajjja @PhineasGage you do have issues! 

What I suggested was mostly a joke (mostly). I understand completely your point. I wish he knew our thoughts, but not because of a ship war, but because there are narrative issues here.I don't care (mostly) where he takes his characters, as long as he makes them take a coherent path. 

That said, I still have a lot of faith in the man. I've read almost all of his work and never, not even in his first couple of books, felt like this. So I'm in denial and plan on staying that way until SA4.

I´d like to read your essay when its out, ando hope it gets visibility :)

But THIS, I cannot accept, haha! I’ve decided I will trust the author that it will be resolved in, like you said, a manner which is coherent for the characters. I’ve seen enough feedback on this forum (I don’t even go on Reddit) that people are A-OK with the resolution of Shallan’s romantic arc that I’m worried Sanderson thinks it was a coherent conclusion... I will choose to live in our bubble however, hoping to be proven correct in 3 or 6 or 9 or 20 years ☺️

6 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

It's okay to get married but not okay to have kids? What's the point of marriage then?

I thought I had made it quite clear that I don't think she should have got married either! :D 

I agree it is a possibility, but I sincerely hope Shallan herself realises what a mess it would be. Oh and that wiki is wrong btw. Shallan is younger than Kaladin by about 3 years. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shallan_Davar - Kaladin was born in 1153.

The coppermind is a better source than the wikia for future reference :)

2 minutes ago, Dreamstorm said:

But THIS, I cannot accept, haha! I’ve decided I will trust the author that it will be resolved in, like you said, a manner which is coherent for the characters. I’ve seen enough feedback on this forum (I don’t even go on Reddit) that people are A-OK with the resolution of Shallan’s romantic arc that I’m worried Sanderson thinks it was a coherent conclusion... I will choose to live in our bubble however, hoping to be proven correct in 3 or 6 or 9 or 20 years ☺️

I am already planning out some fanfics to be there if I need them :D

Edited by PhineasGage
trying to keep up with all the posts!

46 minutes ago, SLNC said:

the wiki says Shallan, Kaladin and Renarin were all born in the same year. Is it wrong?

edit: nevermind

46 minutes ago, Dreamstorm said:

they do say those were their goals, but I don’t see it stated (or implied) they were returning.

seemed implied to me. Because of the everstorm the singer army arrived much early than anyone expected and it is seems out of character for them to do nothing. I agree with everything else you said though.

Edited by Arch

1 minute ago, PhineasGage said:

I thought I had made it quite clear that I don't think she should have got married either! :D 

I agree it is a possibility, but I sincerely hope Shallan herself realises what a mess it would be. Oh and that wiki is wrong btw. Shallan is younger than Kaladin by about 3 years. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shallan_Davar - Kaladin was born in 1153.

I actually think it is a very strong possibility that we might be encountering a Shallan who is actively trying to conceive, already pregnant, or has a newborn baby already here by the time book 4 starts. I just can't see how any of these wouldn't be the case. In Alethi society, the expectations for two newlyweds to procreate will be there, and the pressure from those expectations will be enormous. Heck, Adolin himself will be expecting it and hopeful for it, and as we know after the events of OB, she is very desperate to always meet the expectations that Adolin has of her.  She has to be that perfect Alethi wife, remember?

4 minutes ago, SLNC said:

2 minutes ago, PhineasGage said:

Thanks to both of you @SLNC @PhineasGage for the correct references. 17-18 is *phew* way too young, even 20 was stretching it for motherhood really, but I can't help feeling even more disappointed at this moment.

2 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

I actually think it is a very strong possibility that we might be encountering a Shallan who is actively trying to conceive, already pregnant, or has a newborn baby already here by the time book 4 starts. I just can't see how any of these wouldn't be the case. In Alethi society, the expectations for two newlyweds to procreate will be there, and the pressure from those expectations will be enormous. Heck, Adolin himself will be expecting it and hopeful for it, and as we know after the events of OB, she is very desperate to always meet the expectations that Adolin has of her.  She has to be that perfect Alethi wife, remember?

know... That is why I'm so afraid of it...

7 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

Sadeas' wife never gave him a child so maybe as long as there's a suitable heir it doesn't matter as much.

Edited by Arch

But... I'll be honest, having a young motherhood plot arc for Shallan would get very reality TV-like and I mean that in a negative way... I really hope it doesn't happen... I want her to do awesome Lightweaver stuff and not see her raising a child.

Edited by SLNC

10 minutes ago, Arch said:

Sadeas' wife never gave him a child so maybe as long as there's a suitable heir it doesn't matter as much.

So, either we're looking at baby by book 4, or Adolin, Shallan, or both are sterile...I just don't see a win here for the narrative. :(

Edited by DeployParachute

16 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

So, either we're looking at baby by book 4, or either Adolin, Shallan, or both are sterile...I just don't see a win here for the narrative. :(

Or they have some sort of birth control. Heir is important, but this is middle of Desolation. Having combat capable Lightweaver (only one so far they know of) may be worth waiting with the child.

Edited by Valand
spelling

2 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

So, either we're looking at baby by book 4, or either Adolin, Shallan, or both are sterile...I just don't see a win here for the narrative. 

Not necessarily. We haven't seen attitudes to contraception in Alethkar, though I agree, even if they are liberal in that regard their ability to access it is likely limited. My guess though is that use of stormlight may affect fertility. That might be an easy way to get out of the baby thing that I agree is otherwise likely. I can't see Sanderson addressing this question in the books though - it just won't come up as a topic of conversation unless it is a point of conflict. For example:

Navani: Adolin when are you going to get that wife of yours pregnant?

Adolin: I'm trying! She keeps running off and light weaving!

Navani: You aren't getting any younger you know....

----

Adolin: Aunt Navani has been pushing for us to have a baby again.

Radiant: Adolin, I cannot possibly consider pregnancy while we have a war going on.

Adolin: Well you don't have to fight. You could send Vathah with your men...

Veil: If you think I'm going to let them have all the fun.....?

Adolin: How is fighting a war more fun than trying to have a baby?

Shallan: Do you have any idea what giving birth actually entails?

Adolin: Well I was thinking more about the getting pregnant bit actually.....

Radiant: (huffs) Sometimes it seems that's all you think about (stalks off)

Adolin: (to himself) One of us has to.....

----

As a thirty-something year old person, 17 or 18 is way too young. Storms, I'm too young and I'm twice Shallan's age. 

1 minute ago, PhineasGage said:

Navani: Adolin when are you going to get that wife of yours pregnant?

Adolin: I'm trying! She keeps running off and light weaving!

Navani: You aren't getting any younger you know....

----

Adolin: Aunt Navani has been pushing for us to have a baby again.

Radiant: Adolin, I cannot possibly consider pregnancy while we have a war going on.

Adolin: Well you don't have to fight. You could send Vathah with your men...

Veil: If you think I'm going to let them have all the fun.....?

Adolin: How is fighting a war more fun than trying to have a baby?

Shallan: Do you have any idea what giving birth actually entails?

Adolin: Well I was thinking more about the getting pregnant bit actually.....

Radiant: (huffs) Sometimes it seems that's all you think about (stalks off)

Adolin: (to himself) One of us has to.....

----

cue laugh track

Why does this seem so like a sitcom?

Edited by SLNC

12 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Navani was actually 16 when she had Jasnah

Yikes you are right. I ad been under the impression that all of them were older when they got married/started families etc.

I am surprised that Navani has pushed for this marriage so much actually then, she wasn't that happy with Gavilar from what she's implied so why risk someone else going down that route?

3 minutes ago, PhineasGage said:

I am surprised that Navani has pushed for this marriage so much actually then, she wasn't that happy with Gavilar from what she's implied so why risk someone else going down that route?

Stability. Ume60XX.png

Edited by SLNC

13 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Navani was actually 16 when she had Jasnah

We haven't directly been told anything about birth control or average ages for marriage in Roshar.  From inference we can guess that marriage is for House gain rather than love match though people do seem to have some say over whom they marry.

Once married this society would seem to be one that would push for the heir and spare pretty quickly.   The time between Adolin  and Renerin was more due to Dalinar's absence than birth control I'd guess.

51 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

So, either we're looking at baby by book 4, or Adolin, Shallan, or both are sterile...I just don't see a win here for the narrative. :(

And don’t forget, Adolin refuses to be intimate with Veil. If Veil becomes the dominant aspect of Shallan’s personality split, there may not be many chances to conceive. Alethi must either be fairly infertile or have access to birth control, as all of the Alethi families I can remember off the top of my head have two children or less (I’m sure there are some which don’t align with this, but Gavilar/Navani, Dalinar/Evi, Kaladin’s parents (until Tien dies), Aladar (one), Sadeas (none) do.)

Edited by Dreamstorm

Another day, another 2 pages on my favorite thread and another 20 reputation to give (mostly to @PhineasGage and @SLNC).

I'm in agreement with @DeployParachute that pregnancy and a child should be the default assumption. I don't see the point of getting married if they weren't going to try for a child, and the break between books combined with Shallan's comments about a week suddenly being a long time makes me think that the pregnancy and birth will happen off-screen, or in the first part of book 4.

Clearly most people here don't like that idea, but then it seems like this thread is for the crew of the good ship Shalladin to grieve their loss (if @PhineasGage is captain, can I be boatswain?) . Given what we have at the end of Oathbringer, what else can we expect going forward? There's widespread agreement that Shallan is still lying to herself and is still in trouble of breaking her oaths (which for Lightweavers would be believing her lies), and that there was too much foreshadowing of Shalladin for it to end so abruptly. 

So Shallan is married, but in trouble, with Kaladin still hanging around, and possibly a baby on the way. Nobody seems to expect divorce or adultery based on the character of the author, and partially based on the characters. However with Shallan separating into distinct personalities, I could definitely see Veil wanting to pursue Kaladin, while Radiant sees it as her duty to provide a child and an heir, with our broken Shallan moping about how horrible a mother she'll be.

2 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Another day, another 2 pages on my favorite thread and another 20 reputation to give (mostly to @PhineasGage and @SLNC).

I'm in agreement with @DeployParachute that pregnancy and a child should be the default assumption. I don't see the point of getting married if they weren't going to try for a child, and the break between books combined with Shallan's comments about a week suddenly being a long time makes me think that the pregnancy and birth will happen off-screen, or in the first part of book 4.

Clearly most people here don't like that idea, but then it seems like this thread is for the crew of the good ship Shalladin to grieve their loss (if @PhineasGage is captain, can I be boatswain?) . Given what we have at the end of Oathbringer, what else can we expect going forward? There's widespread agreement that Shallan is still lying to herself and is still in trouble of breaking her oaths (which for Lightweavers would be believing her lies), and that there was too much foreshadowing of Shalladin for it to end so abruptly. 

So Shallan is married, but in trouble, with Kaladin still hanging around, and possibly a baby on the way. Nobody seems to expect divorce or adultery based on the character of the author, and partially based on the characters. However with Shallan separating into distinct personalities, I could definitely see Veil wanting to pursue Kaladin, while Radiant sees it as her duty to provide a child and an heir, with our broken Shallan moping about how horrible a mother she'll be.

Yep, pretty much, that's the dreadful scenario I'm preparing myself for and let's not forget that since Jasnah is currently inheriting the throne...  

Still got roughly 2 years, maybe I'll be able to accept it by then.

So, at this point, I still trust Sanderson as an author. However, if book four rolls around and it turns out that Shallan is fine, enjoying motherhood, in a stable, healthy happy relationship with Adolin, and is still a KR with no problems with her oaths, then I'm done. I'm still going to keep up if only because there are questions I want answered, but at that point it will not be because of the content, but inertia. I'm not saying it's going to happen. Like I said, I still trust him as an author. I just hope he doesn't let so much bias bleed into his work that a teenager getting married and having a baby magically solves major mental health issues.

9 hours ago, Starla said:

@Dreamstorm I agree that Shallan is the issue in this storyline. Over the last few days I’ve been pondering what bothered me so much about her character in this book, and it boils down to the fact that she feels like a damsel in distress who was rescued by a knight in shining armor in the end. It takes the power away from her and gives it the person she commits to in a relationship. Wherever she goes from here, I feel like she is diminished somehow. If she is now able to heal, it is because Adolin has helped fix her, not because she found healing on her own. If she doesn’t heal, or if the healing is an illusion based on a false sense of security, then she will not have the opportunity to work on herself as an individual. She is married to a Highprince and all the duties and responsibilities that go along with that, and there probably won’t be a lot of time for self-reflection. 

In considering the author’s intent, I get the sense that he is suggesting that this is a good step for Shallan. I expect that in the next book Adolin will help her heal, and she will get better. That seems like a good thing on the surface, but I was hoping for more from Shallan as a character. She started out as a shy, awkward country girl who I could relate to in book 1. I have been so excited to watch her grow and develop into a strong, confident, independent Knight Radiant who is fully in control of her own destiny. At the end of OB she seems like a broken girl who took “the road more travelled” by attaching herself to a strong man for stability. My issue is not who she chose in the end, but that she didn’t realize that needed to to get herself together before making a huge life decision like marriage. Perhaps I'll be surprised in a future book and the story will take an unexpected turn that allows Shallan to come to her own rescue, but I'm not holding out much hope at this point.

As of now, Jasnah has become that strong female character for me. I don’t relate to her nearly as much as I did Shallan in the beginning, but she’s an interesting character in her own right and we don’t have many other options for great female protagonists. 

This bothers me too and is one of the reasons I was so aggravated with Shallan this whole book. My Shallan arc has gone this far: WoK Shallan= meh, WoR Shallan = alrighty- girl comin' into her own!, OB Shallan= trying not to reach through the kindle app and give her shaken baby syndrome.

and it's not because she's weak or having issues. I can relate to that. And it's not for accepting help (even if she doesn't actually TAKE  the good advice from Wit) 

its because the root of her problems lay in the fact that she refuses to confront them or deal with them in any way. In personal level I am a very upfront 'let's hash it out and get over it' type of person and this type behavior drives me up the wall. I realize that  others differ in the way they deal with things and that doesn't necessarily mean my way is right all the time or vice versa. This is just one of those personal pet peeves of mine. And it does drive me nuts that she views Adolin less as a equal and support then as a knight in shining armor come to give her a fairy tale ever after and fix all her problems. It will seriously bug me if this is the resolution ....but distilling this thread down makes me think it's not so... holds breath for next 2 years.

8 hours ago, DimChatz said:

Um, maybe we should stop discussing this particular matter now? This is turning a bit into Adolin hating and I'm sure we are being harsher than we ought to...:unsure: 

Yeah it's easy to bash on him but I don't think anyone (could be wrong) on this thread actually dislikes him. I actually have a feeling that he is getting set up to get absolutely squished. (Whether he breaks enough for a nahel bond or not we will see- I could go either way) But being a side character I think we are going to see his arc develop much slower than our mains. 

Spoiler

After all in the Wax/Wayne series it isn't until the FOURTH book that we see Wayne actually change from a static (I love Wayne but he doesn't ever really seem to change ) character to a dynamic character. From the beginnings of AoL he never really changes until Wax dies and he decides that 'yes, yes in fact he CAN pick up a gun'. That's the first true shift in his personal arc that we actually see and aren't just told about and it took FOUR books to get there

8 hours ago, Awesomness said:

THIS is whats ruining Adolin.

Let´s summarize Adolin (just because its so easy):

• Nice guy (like really nice): ok
  • Not emotionally broken: someone has to be mentally-healthy in this series!
  • Not exactly an intelectual: fine, cute
  • Duelist: well... not the most interesting of callings, but not so bad either. Summerchild.
  • Reviving Maya: well he is nice with her, and everyone else is getting powers anyway... who doesn't want the shard blades to resurrect?
  • Gets the girl: he doesn't fly, give him a break.
  • Incredibly handsome prince: see other redeeming qualities
  • Avoids responsability of killing Sadeas because "good riddance" and "we need a highprince and Renarin...Renarin...whatever"
  • Avoids responsibility of becoming king because...he killed Sadeas?

I do like him, he is adorable, but the Sadeas Murder Storyline could have been his opportunity for development, and just fell flat. 

Even though, Maya´s storyline and his supportive attitude toward Shallan and Kaladin made for maybe his best arc till now. So, I think Brandon really needs to figure out if he will be a flat-ish side character or a full fledged one. 

I do think he is full fledged- we just haven't got to see it yet. I'm hoping that all sweeping of stuff under the Sadeas rug plus all the other stuff is actually just creating a pile thats going to explode all over the place later down the line. Otherwise yeah...that would diminish him as a character for me.

7 hours ago, Dreamstorm said:

So, I REALLY like Adolin. I don’t want him to die. I want him to succeed. I’m indifferent on him becoming Radiant or not - I think it could be interesting either way. There are so many Adolin moments I love on all of the books. I didn’t mind him and Shallan in WoR; I thought the emotional set-up for Kaladin was better, but I could have been persuaded either way by the author. The thing that @Starla notes worries me intensely though - that Sanderson is OK with Shallan’s lack of agency and falling back on a strong, powerful man to solve her issues, and therefore this was his conclusion to her romantic arc. After all our discussion, I’m now hopeful that isn’t the case (whether or not Kaladin is the endgame - though if he’s not, I don’t understand why he was used as a side character in Shallan’s romantic arc, but that doesn’t morally offend me like the girl finding redemption in a strong worldly man rather than being able to stand on her own two feet.) We won’t know for a while, though, so I’ll reserve judgment until the next book (or two...)

Btw, it also aggravates me to no end that some people think this is all about shipping. It’s not at all. It’s disppointment in how romance is used in relation to a female character’s development. 

Yes. To everything in this.

5 hours ago, PhineasGage said:

Argh no, we're back to the pregnancy thing. If Shallan has a baby I'm probably quitting. I am not getting on board with teenaged motherhood and the idea that motherhood will "fix" her. If anything, pregnancy, and particular the post-partum period are the worst things to go through when you have a mental health disorder..... Plus seriously, Adolin and Shallan's kids would have the wierdest hair. 

Yeah .....such a bad idea.... this would seriously shatter her- I'm not sure she would be able to pull herself together - at least not in time for the end of the world

5 hours ago, SLNC said:

I'm no religious man, but I'd start praying if it meant that this won't happen. Shallan as a mother right now would be awful. Adolin as a father probably pretty good though.

I actually want to see him interact with Gavinor. I think he would be a great dad. It would be funny too to see Kaladin interact with Gavinor...trying to picture 'take your nephew/ ward to work day'... 

5 hours ago, SLNC said:

Because she can't even get her own life in order, let alone the life of an infant added on top of that. Plus, she's like 18 right now? Barely an adult.

Yes. 

Having a child in the best of times is extremely stressful. These are not the best of times. Aside from all the normal stressors or pregnancy/birth/postpartum and then actual child rearing, you then have to add in all the ABnormal stressors.  Can you imagine the confusion that child would  face when her mom can't decide who to be that day? Or that moment? And oh yeah...the end of the world....

4 hours ago, sylian said:

I kind of get the feeling some of you are underestimating Adolin. The guy has been trained from early childhood to be at least a general. I think he doesn't shine bright only because his father is still around and doing the leading business. Adolin being completely at ease with Kaladin after Kholinar is something that speaks to me about not only knowledge but experience. He is the one that stands when everybody is backing down. I think he is quite brilliant in his role. What I don't like in him now and I think he'll have to deal with is his lack of confidence that he can be of use with all those flying people around. 

He has never been flat to me-I think some people just find him so because his arc is changing at a much slower pace relative to our MC's. (Reference above spoiler) I'm ok with his slower arc though. Everything is changing at such a frantic pace that he does stabilize the story- gives us a chance to breathe but I think his time is coming.

4 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Yes, I understand as much, and it will create a lot of drama and conflict but I thought that is the point of the books. Just because it's scary doesn't mean that it cannot happen.

She is 20 according to this chronology. It's okay to get married but not okay to have kids? What's the point of marriage then?

Kids are great but Shallan isn't ready- she can't even solidify into one personality right now. And marriage isn't solely about making kids. In Alethi culture with the divided and distinct roles Adolin would very much benefit from having a wife in his role as high prince. 

4 hours ago, DeployParachute said:

In normal Alethi culture with abnormal woman yes....Alethj culture has just been up ended by the fall of the kingdom, the resurgence of the KR (of which his wife is one) and the end of the world as they know it. 

I can see perhaps the desire for one and maybe a little pressure from Navani. I can also see pressure from Shallan or Adolin as it would be a natural progression for conflict to arise from. But I don't see it actually happening. It would completely and utterly derail Shallan as a character.