[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

39 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

No-one seems to know about Kaladin's involvement in it. They all seem to have forgotten about Moash. I guess at the time they had bigger things to worry about, but the question about where is Moash may be asked soon. What I'm curious is if Kaladin told Bridge 4, since he seemed to be dreading doing so but knew he had to.

He left pretty quick. Odds are he'll tell them in part 2.

14 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Brandon has said that holding two different "powers" (for lack of a better term) results in a Resonance. Wax, as a Twinborn, has a Resonance. Surgebinders, as a result of holding two different Surges, have a Resonance. Where did you see Brandon denounce this idea?

Yeah, he said that. He said also that KR possessed powers which were NOT direct outcome of two powers reacting. 

And I hate Voidblades ideas, it just make Voidbringers look so blank and repetitive. I reaaally hope Fused will end up more interesting than that. 

Edited by Beatsmorn
Not clear what I meant

2 hours ago, Beatsmorn said:

Yeah, he said that. He said also that KR possessed powers which were NOT direct outcome of two powers reacting. 

And I hate Voidblades ideas, it just make Voidbringers look so blank and repetitive. I reaaally hope Fused will end up more interesting than that. 

They won't get voidblades. The shardblades were made to fight specific things. Like Thunderclasts. They're a reaction. I do think the voidbringers will have a new advantage though. They can use dead shards which is not something they had in previous desolations(probably). 

10 minutes ago, Aminar said:

They won't get voidblades. The shardblades were made to fight specific things. Like Thunderclasts. They're a reaction. I do think the voidbringers will have a new advantage though. They can use dead shards which is not something they had in previous desolations(probably). 

Except... Shardblades are a manifestation of spren, and therefore not made for something specific, even though they happen to be good at it?

14 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Except... Shardblades are a manifestation of spren, and therefore not made for something specific, even though they happen to be good at it?

The shardblades are copies of the honorblades which were made by honor to fight Thunderclasts. Better? 

9 hours ago, Beatsmorn said:

Resonances are a result of having two powers but they're also not power+power=resonance.

5 hours ago, Kalinovsky said:

So...any ideas as to when are we going to find out who the author of the preface is? Are we supposed to lose our minds guessing or is it supposed to be intuitively obvious to the casual observer?

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn’t it be a funny trick if the real hard copy (not the online Tor edition) of the book had the author but Tor erased/deleted the author in the pre-release versions. 

There are so many things that I just seem to miss that are obvious to everyone else. I hope I’ll be able to figure out the author. As well as Vivenna.  I hope I don’t miss her! 

On 11/7/2017 at 1:36 PM, The Invested Beard said:

Even better, Jasnah and Shallan conspire to do away with Mraize.

Even better, Mraize and Chicken join forces to ship Jasnah and Shallan, driving both Adolin and Kaladin to despair and allowing Stick to become an actual thorn in Odium's side.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

2 hours ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

Even better, Mraize and Chicken join forces to ship Jasnah and Shallan, driving both Adolin and Kaladin to despair and allowing Stick to become an actual thorn in Odium's side.

Well, we do have WoB that Shallan is bisexual, and for all we know, Jasnah might be as well...

24 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

Well, we do have WoB that Shallan is bisexual, and for all we know, Jasnah might be as well...

Hah, the perfect way to annoy all the shippers AND shock every single person who reads it.

Also, never seen that one, looking it up now

Edited by Blacksmithki

On 2017-11-8 at 9:22 PM, Starla said:

I am curious where Kaladin goes when he sees the Stormfather. Quote from Chapter 31:

Is it some place between the physical and cognitive realms, outside of time? Or is it happening inside his head, like a dream, similar to the highstorm dreams? I don't recall seeing any other instances of this otherworldly place, aside from Stormfather encounters. I believe Eshonai had a similar experience in the WOR, when she bonded the storm spren in the highstorm.

Ocasional lurker (possibly moved on to Obsessive since the the pre-release chapters) here,  delurking herself. I have been loving reading everyone's posts and reactions to the pre-release chapters. Not sure that I will miss the singular torture of having to wait a whole week for more of the good stuff though!

Oathbringer quote

Kaladin stood in that strange space where he’d seen the Stormfather before—a place that seemed outside of reality. The ground was far beneath him, dim, slicked with rain, but barren and empty. Kaladin hovered in the air. Not Lashed; the air was simply solid beneath him.

Emphasis mine.

So when I read that part I got the impression that Kaladin was in the Cognitive Realm mainly from his description of hovering in the air but not using a lashing but the air being solid. It made me think of how the sea is solid in CR so would it stand to reason that if you managed to get into the sky there then the air would be too? 

That was just the impression that I had but after writing it, I have started to think at what point would the air become solid? Obviously it's not solid at ground level so maybe I'm completely out and either like you said it's someplace in between or who knows!

I'm not sure if I've done things correctly with quoting/responding to people, if not, then sorry! First time post and all being too bashful to post previously. 

Edited by Asharielle
Edited for typo

1 hour ago, Asharielle said:

Ocasional lurker (possibly moved on to Obsessive since the the pre-release chapters) here,  delurking herself. I have been loving reading everyone's posts and reactions to the pre-release chapters. Not sure that I will miss the singular torture of having to wait a whole week for more of the good stuff though!

[Oathbringer Quote]

So when I read that part I got the impression that Kaladin was in the Cognitive Realm mainly from his description of hovering in the air but not using a lashing but the air being solid. It made me think of how the sea is solid in CR so would it stand to reason that if you managed to get into the sky there then the air would be too? 

That was just the impression that I had but after writing it, I have started to think at what point would the air become solid? Obviously it's not solid at ground level so maybe I'm completely out and either like you said it's someplace in between or who knows!

I'm not sure if I've done things correctly with quoting/responding to people, if not, then sorry! First time post and all being too bashful to post previously. 

@Asharielle Welcome! I also lurked for a long time before gathering up the nerve to post. Eventually my love for the books and need to talk about them exceeded my shyness, and now I can't shut up. :D

I’ve continued to ponder the Kaladin/Stormfather interactions, and I think I’ve settled on them being mental projections by the Stormfather. Rereading the highstorm vision in the chasm scene convinced me, because Kaladin and Shallan both had a different vision, and Kaladin stood up and moved around during his. If he was seeing into Shadesmar, I think he would have fallen in a sea of beads or described the scene differently.

Taking into account that the stormfather can project visions to Dalinar and anyone else of his choice, and spren in shardblade form can speak telepathically with their radiant, there must be some sort of mental connection between spren and human where visual and auditory communication can happen.

There are also Kaladin’s highstorm dreams, which seem to be something different. He actually saw Szeth murder someone during the dream, and felt that Szeth could sense his presence. That sounds a bit like an out of body experience. Kaladin became lucid and realized he was dreaming while his body was back on the Shattered Plains, and his consciousness was traveling with the storm in real time. I don't believe this has happened to anyone else in the story. I assume it is Syl's connection with Stormfather that gives him this unusual access to the storm.

I am fascinated by these interactions and hope we’ll get some answers when the Stormfather projects his visions to others.

51 minutes ago, Starla said:

@Asharielle Welcome! I also lurked for a long time before gathering up the nerve to post. Eventually my love for the books and need to talk about them exceeded my shyness, and now I can't shut up. :D

I’ve continued to ponder the Kaladin/Stormfather interactions, and I think I’ve settled on them being mental projections by the Stormfather. Rereading the highstorm vision in the chasm scene convinced me, because Kaladin and Shallan both had a different vision, and Kaladin stood up and moved around during his. If he was seeing into Shadesmar, I think he would have fallen in a sea of beads or described the scene differently.

Taking into account that the stormfather can project visions to Dalinar and anyone else of his choice, and spren in shardblade form can speak telepathically with their radiant, there must be some sort of mental connection between spren and human where visual and auditory communication can happen.

There are also Kaladin’s highstorm dreams, which seem to be something different. He actually saw Szeth murder someone during the dream, and felt that Szeth could sense his presence. That sounds a bit like an out of body experience. Kaladin became lucid and realized he was dreaming while his body was back on the Shattered Plains, and his consciousness was traveling with the storm in real time. I don't believe this has happened to anyone else in the story. I assume it is Syl's connection with Stormfather that gives him this unusual access to the storm.

I am fascinated by these interactions and hope we’ll get some answers when the Stormfather projects his visions to others.

I have also wondered if there is more to Kaladin riding the Storms,  From WoK the Stormfather refers to Men riding the storms...

The booming sound made the stormwall itself vibrate. Kaladin hit the ground, separating from the storm. He skidded to a stop, feet throwing up sprays of water. Stormwinds crashed into him, but he was enough a part of them that they neither tossed nor shook him.

MEN RIDE THE STORMS NO LONGER. The voice was thunder, crashing in the air. THE OOATHPACT IS BROKEN, CHILD OF HONOR.